16:13 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
Delayed
17:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 14:41:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[243] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[71] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[56] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[52] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plymouth  (Read 6909 times)
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 16:24:16 »

I don't like the A38 between Exeter and Plymouth either, motorway speeds with all those hills and bends and flat crossings. About 40 minutes though, compared to an hour on the train....
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 17:11:08 »

I don't like the A38 between Exeter and Plymouth either, motorway speeds with all those hills and bends and flat crossings. About 40 minutes though, compared to an hour on the train....

I remember the days when Virgin Trains operated a Fast service between Plymouth and Exeter St Davids. From memory it took about 50 - 55 minutes. Terminated in Glasgow

I also remember the service that went Plymouth - Totnes - Newton Abbot - Taunton - Bristol Temple Meads, didn't call at Exeter...! Terminated in Dundee

Devon_Metro will probably know more about those services I have mentioned and the reasoning behind them Grin

*edit* Altered incorrectly entered timings due to human error Tongue
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 17:20:47 by thetrout » Logged

Grin Grin Grin Grin
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 17:12:50 »

FGW (First Great Western) have a train that is non stop ply-Exd and don't think it takes much less than those stopping at Tot and NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 17:14:53 »

Plymouth - Exeter is 35minutes would defy the laws of Physics!

9S66 0825 Penzance - Dundee used to run Plymouth, Totnes, Newton Abbot, Taunton, Bristol Temple Meads

1A81 0842 Penzance - Paddington is fast Plymouth - Exeter and does the journey in 53 minutes (normally 60 minutes)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 17:19:31 »

Plymouth - Exeter is 35minutes would defy the laws of Physics!

9S66 0825 Penzance - Dundee used to run Plymouth, Totnes, Newton Abbot, Taunton, Bristol Temple Meads

1A81 0842 Penzance - Paddington is fast Plymouth - Exeter and does the journey in 53 minutes (normally 60 minutes)

I do apologise, I pressed the wrong key on the keyboard, twice!! Tongue that was ment to say 50 - 55 Minutes, I'll edit the post in a minute, Sorry for being stupid as usual Tongue *feels embarrassed*

Do you know the reasoning the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) service missed out Exeter St Davids?? Always made me wonder...?! Congestion maybe?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 18:50:52 »

I believe the all-time record between Plymouth and ESD is 46 minutes, achieved by a HST (High Speed Train). I think that was when speed limits could be interpreted a little more liberally than now, although it's probably still achievable in that time.

As far as I'm aware, there have never been any plans to extend the M5 further south due to the barrier of the Haldons - it would be far too expensive. The same reason that the railway heads south along the Exe.

It's notable as well that Plymouth has a far poorer local service than Exeter. Only 1 line through Exeter closed - the Teign Valley line - and that was pre-Beeching. The lines to Exmouth, Barnstaple, Paignton and Okehampton are still there, while there's plenty of local stations all around Exeter. Plymouth on the other hand has just the Gunnislake branch and some Cornish traffic, plus a few local stations to the west of the main station. But then as an Exeter fan, I think that shows the importance of the Devon capital compared to that other place down the road. Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 19:23:45 »

A stop at Plympton could be opened. (for a Newton A - Liskard/Guinislake shuttle)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 20:00:07 »

But then as an Exeter fan, I think that shows the importance of the Devon capital compared to that other place down the road. Wink
Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 22:39:24 »

I used that intending to go up to Exeter last week, my last memory was feeling a bit tired at Plymouth...woke up...ARGHH!!
It's even faster to Paddington - it only stops at Reading.
Not a clue where I was and not really wanting to visit Reading I was hugely relieved to hear TM(resolve) announced Exeter.

(Haven't visited Exeter for 40 odd years - very nice - took  trip down the Underground passages)

woody

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 23:23:08 »

I went to Plymouth on Friday and it seems to possibly be the worst connected major city in the UK (United Kingdom):

No motorway, poor road access from the west.

First direct train from Birmingham arrives at 10:51.

First direct train from London arrives at 11:15.

Last direct train to Birmingham:  18:25.

Last direct train to Bristol and London (other than sleeper):  19:37.

Last train to stations to Exeter (other than sleeper):  21:16.
Inadequate transport links remain Plymouths achiles heel,a principal reason why Exeters economy in comparison has prospered over the years while Plymouths continues to under-perform particularly so post Cold War as the citys Naval presence has declined.The present rail route between Newton Abbot and Plymouth is a joke in the 21st century with its 55/60mph line speed.That in my book makes it a secondary line not a main line.No wonder any new air links are greeted enthusiastically in these parts.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: