10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 13:36:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[275] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[81] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[74] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[59] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[22] underground plans for Bristol update.
[15] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Annual timetable changes  (Read 11316 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 21:02:32 »

So the EU» (European Union - about) interferes in domestic train timetables, does it? I know a way for Alistair Darling to save ^40million per day.....

Get some serious track upgrades for a fraction of that.
You know I was only thinking that this morning but that is taking this way off topic but as you say you would get quite a few new miles of track as well as other things... Wink
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 21:08:03 »

It's a load of crap, basicly the timetable should be like it used to be, summer being late May bank holiday to the end of September and winter the rest of the time as changes to the services are required in most parts of the country to cater for summer flows, if we had a 365 day timetable then there would be loads of dated trains which do actually confuse lots of people!
Here here! The current set up makes the 'summer' timetable very long which means in a number of cases two timetables have to be produced for some routes because of seasonal services.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 21:21:53 »

I'll repeat my comment that there should be NO difference between core 0800 - 1900 services 365 days a year. Occasional additions should be made to accomodate demand only such as the Newquay Summer services. Yes it'd cost but at least we'd have a rail network worthy of the name.

To clarify a 1035 Truro to Penzance service would run at that time every day of the year including weekends and bank holidays.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 21:59:26 »

Sorry, TerminalJunkie (and John R, for going off-topic again), but that original wording in the directive was amended - see http://www.unece.org/trans/main/ter/terdocs/l_28920021026en00300030.pdf  Tongue

Ahh, thanks!

Whereas:
(1) Annex III to Directive 2001/14/EC establishes the schedule for the process of allocating rail infrastructure capacity and stipulates that changes to the working timetable are to take place each year at midnight on the last Saturday in May.
(2) For reasons of commercial operation,* infrastructure managers and rail companies are proposing that the date for changes to the working timetable be moved to December of each year.
(3) Annex III to Directive 2001/14/EC should therefore be amended accordingly.

* - my emphasis

It appears that they were responding to requests from the Rail Industry...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 23:40:44 »

I'll repeat my comment that there should be NO difference between core 0800 - 1900 services 365 days a year. Occasional additions should be made to accomodate demand only such as the Newquay Summer services. Yes it'd cost but at least we'd have a rail network worthy of the name.

To clarify a 1035 Truro to Penzance service would run at that time every day of the year including weekends and bank holidays.

Why? Is there a huge demand for travel from Truro to Penzance at 10.35 on a Sunday morning in January, or indeed most of the year outside the summer? I doubt it. Are you saying we should pay vast amounts in taxes and fares to move empty trains around every Sunday morning?

In my part of the world, there would be no point whatever running something resembling a weekday or Saturday timetable on the Cotswold Line on a Sunday morning, because the numbers travelling are tiny.
After lunchtime they build up, as does the service on offer, reflecting the flow back towards London at the end of the weekend.

The same applies to many other routes and operators, who are responding to what the market wants. When operators talk about a seven-day railway, what they really mean is one that is available to them after about noon on Sunday, to handle the very heavy flow of passengers in the afternoon and evening. And the flow towards London at this time is, of course, the reverse of that which applies at such times from Monday to Friday.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 00:22:58 »

I'm saying that like crampt rolling stock that Britain if it wants to be respectable should offer services of a regular pattern at the same time of the day 365 days a year, if it can be done in other parts of Europe I see no reason why it shouldn't be done here. Indeed it might well start up demand that nobody thought would exist.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 21:05:35 »

You know I was only thinking that this morning but that is taking this way off topic but as you say you would get quite a few new miles of track as well as other things...

To get back on topic, why can't the EU» (European Union - about) keep its nose [snout] out of GB (Great Britain) domestic train timetables? I thought there was something called "subsidiarity"? Another barmy EU Directive goldplated as usual.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 22:46:03 »

It's all part of providing a level playing field across Europe for rail operations as part of moves to end the monopolies of state-owned rail operators. All it did was put a fixed date on the change, so everyone knew where they stood and formalised a system that had operated for many years through the UIC anyway - BR (British Rail(ways)) didn't just change train timetables in isolation, they did actually have to make sure that, for example, there would be an SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) boat train waiting for ferries the other side of the Channel.

And if you really think that somehow, were we to leave the EU» (European Union - about), that we would be able to go our own way and just carry on trading with EU members as if nothing had happened, I should point out that in order to trade under favourable terms through the European Economic Area Agreement, Norway has to implement EU directives, despite having no say whatever in framing them. But they can probably live with this, because there are only four million of them and they are sitting on far more oil and gas reserves than are left in the British bit of the North Sea - we don't have that luxury.

Oh, and the Treasury would immediately trouser the money, not spend any of it.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 21:05:54 »

But there aren't any boat trains anymore that I'm aware of
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 22:09:08 »

Eurostar?

Thalys and ICE to London 2011, The British Network is part of Europe.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 01:09:50 »

Quite - my point was that this has gone on for years, never mind the EU» (European Union - about). For boat trains read Eurostar, and just the same for Chunnel freight trains, which connect in France, Germany and Italy with services throughout Europe - and maybe with the Germans now owning EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))), and Eurotunnel doing a deal with SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways), we will actually start to see the freight volumes grow to the levels predicted when the tunnel was being planned.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 18:59:08 »

Eurostar is surely the exception for which we don't need to make the vast majority of our timetables conform to Europe; same must go for freight.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 19:30:23 »

The CTRL (Channel Tunnel Rail Link) is un-connected to the BR (British Rail(ways)) network. No need for synced timetables.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 19:42:06 »

The CTRL (Channel Tunnel Rail Link) is un-connected to the BR (British Rail(ways)) network. No need for synced timetables.

Are you suggesting that HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) is a closed system?

I think not...
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 20:04:57 »

Are you suggesting that HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) is a closed system?

I think not...

If Btline is suggesting this, then I wonder what South Eastern are going to do with all those new Class 395 Units... Huh Grin Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: