Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:43 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 08:34:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[97] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[69] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[53] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[36] underground plans for Bristol update.
[25] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: GW franchise  (Read 15075 times)
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 14:50:56 »

First Great Western as far as i know have nothing to do with the running of services into Heathrow believe its First Group that runs it in association with BAA.
and for those interested First Group Rail Holdings{ or i think thats what they are called } own 41 coaches and 12 power cars which are used by FGW (First Great Western)  being 43092/93/94/97/98/122/153/154/155/158/194/198

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
standclearplease

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 18:11:26 »

The Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect run something like this:

Heathrow Express is owned and operated by BAA. FGW (First Great Western)/First have nothing to do with it.

As by the document below (Page 69), the Heathrow Connect is jointly operated by FGW and BAA. It's 'operated' under lease as far as Hayes to FGW and then the route into Heathrow by BAA. Seems massively complicated!

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/passenger/invitationtotender/greaterwestern.pdf
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 18:51:02 »

Not just the service provision that is co-owned. The infrastructure from Heathrow Tunnel Junction onward is owned by Heathrow Airport Ltd and not Network Rail.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
standclearplease

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 18:58:07 »

Indeed. Still maintained by NR» (Network Rail - home page) though however.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 19:37:21 »

This is why even when Crossrail opens, premium fares will still apply to Heathrow.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 21:44:03 »

Indeed. Still maintained by NR» (Network Rail - home page) though however.
Yes Network Rail is the maintenance contractor to BAA it also controls the traction power and signaling on behalf of BAA much as it does on CTRL (Channel Tunnel Rail Link) and is likely to do so for Crossrail central section although I believe this is still to be agreed

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 11:05:47 »

All very complicated, really,  - Who owns what ? etc. etc.

Perhaps the Government should incorporate all the trains/infastructure under a single administration.
  The benefits being a fully integrated rail system, and a fairer, 'customer friendly' retail system.

Seems to work very effectively in some of the EU» (European Union - about) countries.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 15:29:00 »

All very complicated, really,  - Who owns what ? etc. etc.

Perhaps the Government should incorporate all the trains/infastructure under a single administration.
  The benefits being a fully integrated rail system, and a fairer, 'customer friendly' retail system.

Seems to work very effectively in some of the EU» (European Union - about) countries.

Hang on a sec did we not have something like that pre 1995  Roll Eyes

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
standclearplease

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 17:12:53 »

On the whole its rather uncomplicated- could be much, much worse I personally believe.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 12:13:42 »

On the whole its rather uncomplicated- could be much, much worse I personally believe.

Sorry have to disagree.

The wheel rail interface is the most complicated part of the railway. To have different organisations to look after turning the wheel, maintaining the wheel and ensuring the rail will handle the turning wheel is in my opinion not conducive to running an effective railway.

To many Chiefs, not enough Indians, all persuing their own organisations' goals. It's a good job there are still a few good ex BR (British Rail(ways)) trained managers/engineers around to modify the bus managers way of running the railways
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:21:20 by eightf48544 » Logged
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 21:25:25 »

Make that May 2016. I think the extension of the franchise to its full 10 years is a safe bet. So it's 65 months in all probability Wink

How do you work it out to be May 2016? The franchise commenced on the 1st April 2006 for a period of 7 years with the option of a three year extension. Therefore my caculations make the end as March 31st 2016!
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 22:46:37 »

March or May 2016, that's still one hell of a long wait!

I read with interest somewhere on this forum(the posting of which I can't track down) from someone saying it's possible the railways could be renationalised within the next few years, much like the good ol' days of BR (British Rail(ways)).   Whoever posted that info, please elaborate more on that and tell us where you got the source of this info from.   It sounds just too good to be true!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 01:06:27 »

As far as I can tell you seem to want change for the sake of change because you're bored with the current liveries and uniforms...?! Believe it or not, I don't think enthusiasts getting bored with the incumbent operator is a sound basis for the enormous upheaval of re-tendering a franchise Roll Eyes

How do you work it out to be May 2016? The franchise commenced on the 1st April 2006 for a period of 7 years with the option of a three year extension. Therefore my caculations make the end as March 31st 2016!

Cropped up further up in the thread...I was just quoting what was said above. So technically if it is a mistake I get "error carried forward" and I'm not marked down Wink The franchise agreement gives the "initial" end date as 31 Mar 13, so I think you're right. It probably gives the 2016 end date as well, but i can't be bothered to wade through all the text!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 06:37:35 »

I read with interest somewhere on this forum(the posting of which I can't track down) from someone saying it's possible the railways could be renationalised within the next few years, much like the good ol' days of BR (British Rail(ways)).   Whoever posted that info, please elaborate more on that and tell us where you got the source of this info from.   It sounds just too good to be true!
Under the current coalition government it probably is too good to be true. For example. Virgin's proposal for a two year franchise extention for the West Coast franchise in return for them paying for the remaining 9 carriage Pendolinos to be extending to 11 carriages has been rejected by the government as they believe they will get a much better return by allowing the franchise reletting process to go ahead in time for its renewal in 2012. Source was the Daily Mail. Sorry I don't have a link for the story.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: