Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:43 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 08:55:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[115] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[91] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[65] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[56] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[24] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock Cascade Eventually?  (Read 6929 times)
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:44 »

Not sure if this has been posted before but have a look at page 16.  Presumably in preparation for stock cascade following implementation of Crossrail?  Shocked

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/StrategicBusinessPlan/R4%20-%20Wessex.pdf

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 14:34:28 »

Long wayto go yet to get Crossrail, and i'm sure it'll get canceled like the last 2-3 times it has been already...
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 14:42:22 »

signalandtelegraph is (I assume) referring to a plan for gauge clearance for Class 165/166 units on the Portsmouth-Cardiff and Westbury-Weymouth routes.

Some way from approval methinks, as it is part of the Network Rail Discretionary Fund CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) Candidate Schemes list.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 14:47:35 »

arnt they all the same gauge anyway?

Or have i missed something here...
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 15:02:08 »

arnt they all the same gauge anyway?

Or have i missed something here...

Example quotes from the Save The Train forum :

Graham did I hear you mention at one of the meetings that these 166 units wont 'fit' through Trowbridge station?

There was some talk along those lines, Nick, yes. It's not an easy "wll fit" / "won't fit" scenario, I don't think ... I learnt more about this later.   It's that the Thames Turbos haven't actually been tried out on the route and they're slightly wider so they're not officially cleared, Trowbridge station being (it is said) the narrowest point.   Real problem? Don't know!!

Although I suggested that the 166-s be used on Oxford / Salisbury, ther could be other alternatives that are multi-step offered by the extra stock availability. Or in plainer English, the 166-s could be used on a service where the line WILL take them, and release 158-s or similar for Oxford - Salisbury

Another reason for doing this could be that the London-Reading corridor is in line for some of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s 1300 carriages (see quote below.)

The link below details where the 1,300 carriages (assuming they get built) are likely to be deployed.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/about/strategy/whitepapers/whitepapercm7176/railwphlsospecimen

Regarding the FGW (First Great Western) area, the London-Reading corridor is battling it out with services in the Southeastern, Southern, South West Trains, Chiltern, London Midland, FCC (First Capital Connect), One and c2c areas for a share of around 900 extra coaches.

Bristol is battling it out with Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Nottingham and Sheffield for a share of around 50-80 carriages.

In theory, this could release some Turbos for the Wessex routes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 16:50:55 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 20:44:54 »

Turbos were built wider than standard stock as they were designed to run only on the GW (Great Western) main line, which was engineered to Brunel's Broad Gauge. So they can't run on most other lines.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:29:56 »

We don't wan't those horrible things! we wan't more 158's!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 19:55:56 »

We don't wan't those horrible things! we wan't more 158's!

totally agree........seems to be a bit of an illusion on here at times that people think just because its newer it must be better which is in fact very wide of the mark..a 150/158 is always a better bet than a turbo

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 19:57:10 »

I don't see why the rubos don't get deployed round brizzle, would make far more sence...

Or even devon/cornwall for that matter!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 12:22:32 »

Be a Cold Day in Hell before a class 166 runs into Cornwall.

The Thames Turbo unit's were built to a bigger loading gauge than most stock, which keeps them to London-Oxford-Worcester, not sure think maybe able to work Didcot to Bristol, as there was a Oxford-Bristol TM(resolve) service which I think was Thames Turbo worked.

Need meggar bucks spent to clear a class 166 to work to Penzance.

Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 12:24:14 »

Be a Cold Day in Hell before a class 166 runs into Cornwall.

The Thames Turbo unit's were built to a bigger loading gauge than most stock, which keeps them to London-Oxford-Worcester, not sure think maybe able to work Didcot to Bristol, as there was a Oxford-Bristol TM(resolve) service which I think was Thames Turbo worked.

Need meggar bucks spent to clear a class 166 to work to Penzance.

There was indeed an Oxford-Bristol TM, which was worked by Turbo's.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 18:42:50 »

Orrible unit's, think i'd rather travel on a 143! 165's are about the most uncomfortable unit's on the network with their horrible hard seats!
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 20:48:40 »

Orrible unit's, think i'd rather travel on a 143! 165's are about the most uncomfortable unit's on the network with their horrible hard seats!
166's are okay for short distances though.
I've only ever been on overcrowded 165's aswell which doesn't help my perception of them.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 17:32:42 »

Chiltern operate Thames Turbos on their commuter lines. London to Aylebury, High Wycombe (even as far as Princes Risborough).

Maybe the European loading gauge helps here!

Thames Turbos are dreadful. There is also evidence of them becoming clapped out (see my post on the "reliability" thread).

Remember, when London Midland get 172s, the cascaded 150s will be pretty much clapped out- they are at the moment- they were banned from the Lickey Incline a few years ago, and they can hardly get up the Old Hill incline in B'ham at the moment!! Note: This only applies if the train stops at Old Hill when facing towards B'ham!

I would have thought they might have to be scraped! I can't see them lasting in the Wessex region, especially under FGW (First Great Western), who are incompetent, and don't service trains (only spending time and money refreshing them- often for the worse). No- I would not get your hopes up just yet.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 17:40:15 »

We need the stock no matter what condition its in. They can't be any worse then the pacers that operate on FGW (First Great Western).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: