Lochluichart new station opens (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 07:25:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[153] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[36] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Guards To Be Balloted By RMT For Action Over Managers Working Trains?  (Read 15401 times)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 20:02:26 »

It aint going to happen though! As for Thatcher then she's to blame for the last 20 years worth of crap that the railway has become, "roads before railways" spring to mind? well her under investment shafted the railways when they needed it most!
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 21:00:41 »

indeed but its my union that have secured me a decent payrise of %5.6 this year, its my union the fight for my conditions and terms of service. its my union that have got me a 35 hr week from a 37.5 hr week with no loss of salary. its my union that ensure that everyone in the workplace is treated fairly.

so whats your problem with trade unions?

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 21:05:27 »

Theres nothing wrong with the unions, stop bad mouthing them. Just because you don't get a train service once every few years doesnt mean that staff dont have rights as well!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 21:16:04 »

I agree! We got 5.6% this year and inflation+1% next year! Thanks to the union it looks like we may actually get harmonisation for all grades!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 00:12:36 »

indeed but its my union that have secured me a decent payrise of %5.6 this year, its my union the fight for my conditions and terms of service. its my union that have got me a 35 hr week from a 37.5 hr week with no loss of salary. its my union that ensure that everyone in the workplace is treated fairly.

Striking

I'm of the opinion - if you dont like the conditions - go find another job

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 00:18:22 »

I'm going to back out of this because I don't think we'll ever agree.

I dont like unionisation - stand up for yourself - if you are good enough you'll do fine - if you're not, you need to realise you arent.

If the pay isnt good enough - go find a better paid job - someone will always work for the money you are getting - and if you can't, dont complain about what you have

Unions are only there to support the weak willed and spineless who cant or wont stand up for themselves - great - if thats a society you want I'll leave it to you.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 00:19:19 »

Striking

So you sit in your nice office job on probably over 30k a year, and get nice pay rises. And complain about a few extra quid a year to be put on ticket prices so drivers can get better pay!?

You need to get your priorites right. Unions are fine for the railways, (and infact every other industry that uses them) It's just the complaining commuters who cant be bothered to pay a few quid a year (That 75% of them can easily afford) that could be used on extra pay for drivers and guards to improve the quality of living for them. So at the end of the day it could be said that its the commuters fault for train crew having to strike to get a few extra pence an hour...

Brings it all back to the "Them and us" way of thinking...

And life isnt as simple so you can just change jobs when you want to. Maybe you should try it one of these days? I know several highly skilled people who've done this recently, and taken at least 6 months to get into a new job.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 00:26:34 by Shazz » Logged
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 01:00:12 »

I'm going to back out of this because I don't think we'll ever agree.

I dont like unionisation - stand up for yourself - if you are good enough you'll do fine - if you're not, you need to realise you arent.

If the pay isnt good enough - go find a better paid job - someone will always work for the money you are getting - and if you can't, dont complain about what you have

Unions are only there to support the weak willed and spineless who cant or wont stand up for themselves - great - if thats a society you want I'll leave it to you.

There are many people working in many industries, that without the help from their respective trade unions, would either be out of a job, on a lot less pay, or working longer hours. Now wether or not you agree with unions is up to your personal point of view, but please don't call me weak or spineless for being part of something that protects MY interests and thousands if not millions of others. If you are in a job or a financial position not to need this protection then good luck to you, but please realise that there are many, many more who are not. I would also like to add that i am not in any way political, as that is often the misconception about people who are members of a union. I am only a member of my union to protect my interests, as this is the best way available to ME to get greater benefits for myself and my family.

I will now back quietly away from this subject as it is making me angry. Sad
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 01:05:06 »

Striking

So you sit in your nice office job on probably over 30k a year, and get nice pay rises. And complain about a few extra quid a year to be put on ticket prices so drivers can get better pay!?

You need to get your priorites right. Unions are fine for the railways, (and infact every other industry that uses them) It's just the complaining commuters who cant be bothered to pay a few quid a year (That 75% of them can easily afford) that could be used on extra pay for drivers and guards to improve the quality of living for them. So at the end of the day it could be said that its the commuters fault for train crew having to strike to get a few extra pence an hour...

And life isnt as simple so you can just change jobs when you want to. Maybe you should try it one of these days? I know several highly skilled people who've done this recently, and taken at least 6 months to get into a new job.

No -I'm self employed

I dont work I dont get paid - no holiday, no pension, no sick pay

OK - I get paid a good day rate - but the indians under cut it whenever they can

I constantly have to re-skill just to stay in work

gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 01:05:37 »

Striking

p.s. well said Shazz
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 01:07:25 »

Striking

No -I'm self employed

OK - I get paid a good day rate - but the indians under cut it whenever they can

P.S. if my industry tried to unionise - we'd be out of work replaced by indians/chinese over night

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 01:09:19 »

Striking

No -I'm self employed

P.S. if my industry tried to unionise - we'd be out of work replaced by indians/chinese over night

and P.P.S how many of you in your cushy guaranteed union protected jobs would commute 2.5 hour each way every day on Gods Worst Railway before even putting in a days work

I dont want to be unionised - I want to stand for what *I* can do and be paid for it - and if someone else cant - tough shit

gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 01:16:49 »

Striking

No -I'm self employed

and P.P.S how many of you in your cushy guaranteed union protected jobs would commute 2.5 hour each way every day on Gods Worst Railway before even putting in a days work

I dont want to be unionised - I want to stand for what *I* can do and be paid for it - and if someone else cant - tough shit
Sorry Mookiemoo, but if i am not a member of my union i have no protection at work. That is just the way it is. I would love to stand here and say 'If you don't do it my way, it ain't happening' but im just a very, very small cog in a big machine, who needs all the help he can get
chilly

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 01:21:39 »

Well mookiemoo you may think you live in the "real world", but i can assure you, the real world involves things outside your closeted view of Thatcherism.
In the real world Trade Unions, especially on the railways, but elsewhere too, still operate as the voice of the workers.
They still protect through collective bargaining, a concept obviously annoying to yourself, those workers rights.
I fully expect an anti union rant from yourself, but you must accept that many ordinary people dont share your view, and as many many times i have been told, by anti union people, if you dont like your job get another, if you dont like your job, in your "real world", get a job where you can join a union, where colleagues stand together, and fight for rights that benifit the workforce, i.e you.
You obviously dont know the ins and outs of this particular dispute, and probably couldnt care less? So if you want to debate in an adult fashion, please do, if not go and talk rubbish elsewhere, or is that too much to ask?
Good luck to the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) members, whatever they decide democratically!
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 01:27:54 »

At the end of the day, Unions are a good thing. As without them low paid workers/ public sector employees (eg teachers) wouldnt have a say in there pay rises etc.

Plus its against the law not to publicise at least one union in every large workplace. (last it was last time i checked, which was a while back)

And i'd stop digging yourself further into the hole you seem to be making for yourself Mookiemoo Smiley

You need to take a step back and look at jobs on the whole. Jobs such as transport/retail/teaching/public sector/etc (which cant be replaced overnight, as you seem to think is possible...) all tend to be incredibly low paid jobs (there are some exceptions) for the work people actually do in them. Without the unions, these employees wouldnt even get a say in payrises and other areas of there jobs that are important to them. Such as overtime rates, hours worked per week, days off per year etc.

Because you're your own "boss". You get it easy compared to these people (in relation to pay, working conditions, etc) as you set them yourself. Just because you commute 2 1/2 hours on a FGW (First Great Western) train to get to work, it doesnt mean you should get treated any different compared to low paid, over worked FGW staff who run your train. ITS YOUR CHOICE TO COMMUTE, AND NO ONE ELSES. And if you dont like it, why not go along with your policy, and change jobs? Wink
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:48:09 by Shazz » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: