Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
20:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
21:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
19:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 21:54:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[199] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[167] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[112] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[69] June to December 2024 Timetables
[26] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[22] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer timetable - first trains  (Read 5766 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 18, 2014, 10:27:42 »

Not a good start to the summer timetable, with the 08:49, 09:52 and 10:47 (Melksham times) all cancelled.  Don't know about the 12:07 yet.

"This is due to a member of train crew being unavailable."

Cancellation of 08:49 was quite close to the time it was due /  initial help point advise was to wait for the 10:47 (would her been brilliant thing to do as that's cancelled too!) but people had appointments, connections, tickets for events.   FGW (First Great Western) / Twitter and Station Manager a great help in getting Taxis - took 8 people from Melksham up to Chippenham.   Don't know about passengers from Westbury and Trowbridge.

Kiss and ride passengers for 09:52 decided to drive to Westbury themselves;  we were a bit overstocked with taxis (that's probably because people saw about the cancellation online, and estimates were based on a guess as to how we might do).   I do note a scathing review on our Facebook page, but it's unclear as to whether that's from an intended traveller or an armchair critic.  Certainly not someone I met at Melksham Station; and (for Melksham where I have been) at least, everyone who's come to the station has made their journey so far.

Very VERY disappointing ... hopefully just "one of those things"; I can personally accept it if the train crew member involved had a significant crisis, on the basis of "these things happen"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:53:29 »

That's very unfortunate. Are you able to take this up with FGW (First Great Western)?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 11:32:36 »

That's very unfortunate. Are you able to take this up with FGW (First Great Western)?

Working well and immediately with them to get passengers away ... 8 left by taxi at (or soon after) 08:50, a few more left at 09:52, another 10 at 10:48.  So everyone will reach destination with minimum delay.  Further follow will come - but after immediate issues are over.    I really don't know if I should be doing it, but I'm helping to re-assure people at the station that there is a taxi on the way, etc.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:28:07 »

So everyone will reach destination with minimum delay.  Further follow will come - but after immediate issues are over.    I really don't know if I should be doing it, but I'm helping to re-assure people at the station that there is a taxi on the way, etc.

Hopefully anyone on the 0952 heading to Weymouth got to Westbury on time, as the Weymouth train only left 2 mins late.

Should you be doing it? Not in the sense of "is it your job to do it", but most definitely a good thing to do to help passengers, and I'm sure nobody in authority would object. Indeed, I'd put in down as an example of how the CRP (Community Rail Partnership) helps both the TOC (Train Operating Company) and passengers, which might be remembered if someone questions the value of funding the CRP.

Speaking of the summer timetable, I checked the leaflet rack at SWI» (Swindon - next trains) on Friday and lots of leaflets for Devon and Cornwall branches, but nothing about the Transwilts anymore.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 12:45:45 »

Another five away ... including pushchair and cycles ... on the 12:07.   Everyone who I've spoken to helped put into taxis will have connected on time.   I think the next two services (13:47 and 15:17) are the end of the same driver shift, so I guess they're up in the air.  I will pop down to the station anyway ...

John R - please don't record these as normal passenger numbers - I think a lot of people check online before they travel these days. It was notable that we had a lot more for the 08:49 than the 09:52, even though I would have expected it to be biased the other way - and that *might* be because both cancellations were put up at the same time and people knew well ahead for the 09:52 and didn't try.

Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 13:14:20 »

Speaking of the summer timetable, I checked the leaflet rack at SWI» (Swindon - next trains) on Friday and lots of leaflets for Devon and Cornwall branches, but nothing about the Transwilts anymore.
Is that because they have simply run out? Or do you think there never were any?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 14:44:04 »

Is that because they have simply run out? Or do you think there never were any?

Which one did they have?

Background - the original single page flyer from last December was a limited print run and whilst no expiry date was publicly on it to my recollection (not got one here today) it actually expired yesterday.   The new bright yellow line brochure, artwork by the CRP (Community Rail Partnership), was delivered to us late last Wednesday afternoon.   It should be following the FGW (First Great Western) supply chain and we have some being distributed by First to each station on the TransWilts - numbers for this element of the distribution were no more than an educated guess.

Here are the two (old on the left, new on the right)

Which have you seen at Swindon, John R ... if it's the one on the left, you should see the one on the right in a few days.   If it's the one on the right, we may need to restock already!

13:47 turned up as a train  Grin   I expect this one to be quiet at Melksham as people going out for the day or on long distance journeys already have, but people aren't coming back yet.   Surprisingly, I counted about 30 passengers through the windows (so just approximate).   One got on, two got off - one's a lady I know who had purchased a ticket for the 10:47 arrival only to be told a few minutes later it was cancelled, so she waited for the 13:47.    You may be astonished at this, but then I phoned in on the help point when the 08:50 was cancelled and was told that the next train was at 10:47, with no offer or suggestion of any alternative but waiting.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 14:47:40 »

Concluding this morning's adventure ... everyone who turned up at Melksham station got away and should have made their connections.  Destinations included Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa, London Paddington, Didcot, Maidstone, Taunton (multiple groups), Southampton, Plymouth, Chippenham and Trowbridge.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 15:15:05 »

They didn't have either.  They used to have the old one because I took a few to put on noticeboards at work. I wasn't surprised to see that one gone, but I guess the new one hasn't made it's way onto the rack yet.

I won't record today's stats for exactly the reason you give. Many will have checked online and made alternative arrangements or not bothered. It's highlighted a flaw in the online system that it doesn't show when the TOC (Train Operating Company) will make alternative provision for passengers.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 15:42:59 »

I have a stock of the yellow ones I can drop down to Swindon on Tuesday morning if that helps.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 18:36:35 »

I have a stock of the yellow ones I can drop down to Swindon on Tuesday morning if that helps.

Thanks, Bob ... by all means mention it if you're there, but I suspect they're on their way through the system of (?) weekly drops  Wink

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 20:28:06 »

Ok folks ... I think we should move on a bit;  it does mean I've not got the "happy day trippers" pictures I was hoping to get in this Thursday's local paper, and it does mean that there are a number of negative vibes out there with people tempted to the train for the first time today (I met some).  However, once a couple of inputs were made everyone from Melksham at least who turned up at the station got on their way quite quickly and got the positive view [from me].   I'm going to spin off a TransWilts Members thread to help analyse / learn any more systemic lessons, but I think we can be pretty sure it will be fixed by next Sunday Grin

Technical thread at
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14019.0
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 20:35:04 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: