Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
14:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Short Run
10:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 13:43:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[116] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[59] underground plans for Bristol update.
[53] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[46] Brabazon, Bristol
[37] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'u' and 's' at Reading  (Read 8779 times)
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2013, 11:31:40 »

For years there have been pick up & set down restrictions marked in the timetable on WoE services.  I have never seen them enforced!
Can anyone offer an explanation?
Paul
Nibat

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 18:49:10 »

When a service is set-down only means that the train arrives and leaves without following a timetable, if it's running 10 minutes early it will leave 10 minutes early.  Likewise, if it's cancelled then the operator has only have to worry about the passengers already on the train at the last timetabled stop.

I could not say the exact reasons of why a service is pick-up only.  I guess they are mainly to control overcrowding or people using certain services for short distance journeys when their main purpose is not that.  If you push me, it could mean that the Guard might decide not to release the doors if there's nobody to join the train on the platform and that way save some time by not having to check the doors.  In practice it's impossible to control, really.
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 20:20:16 »

Thanks.
I've since found the extensive discussion on this subject cunningly hidden in the 'Golden Hind' thread, though that was mainly about the controls and not the reason.
As for the concept of trains arriving early at Reading..........hmmmn.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 00:09:39 »

Thanks for posting here, Pb_devon - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Smiley

I do sympathize with your difficulty in finding the answer to your question on the forum.  In many cases, the answer will be here, but (as you say) it may only be revealed in a topic with a quite different heading!  That is why I continue to do some 'moving and merging' of topics - purely in the interests of ease of reference for future readers.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 20:23:32 »

cfn,
You seem a friendly lot, so I'm pleased to join!
Anyone else care to offer more about the rationale for pick up & set down notations in timetables?
Paul
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 20:47:59 »

The Reading u's are designed to prevent commuters to Reading filling up a train (when they could catch them one a few minutes later), and thus leaving passengers with a journey of up to 5 hours (if to Cornwall) unable to board and with a long wait for the next service.

In other areas, such as the late night service from London to Exeter via Bristol, the s's beyond Bristol are designed so that a) a train doesn't have to wait time for picking up passengers and can thus get ahead of itself on a journey when engineering work can be an issue and b) so that if it's replaced by a bus (eg if it is diverted between Bristol and Taunton) then the bus via Weston only has to serve those stations for the passengers on board at Bristol.

Hope this is helpful.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 20:58:28 »

I was once on a train after a delay at Paddington when there had not been any trains for a while. However this train was no too full to allow it to depart. The TM(resolve) asked that passengers for Reading to get off and catch the next train as it was only in about 5 minutes.  But there were no volunteers so we stayed there till after that train had gone then some got the idea.  It would have been so much more effective if the TM had been able to announce that this train would no longer stop at Reading.

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 22:48:01 »

In other areas, such as the late night service from London to Exeter via Bristol, the s's beyond Bristol are designed so that a) a train doesn't have to wait time for picking up passengers and can thus get ahead of itself on a journey when engineering work can be an issue and b) so that if it's replaced by a bus (eg if it is diverted between Bristol and Taunton) then the bus via Weston only has to serve those stations for the passengers on board at Bristol.

Hope this is helpful.

Most helpful, John.  I was recently on that train ex-Paddington on a Saturday night and the Train Manager stopped people boarding at Yatton for Weston-s-Mare.  They were miffed (as was I at the time) because their delayed train was shown as the next to leave and ours wasn't shown (as it was set down only, I assume) so the arrival caused understandable confusion.  At the time I thought it was odd that half-a-dozen pax were made to wait for a late running late-night train.  The out-of course running made it seem unnecessarily harsh at the time.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 23:09:23 »

That would indeed seem rather "customer unfriendly", if the previous service was running late, although it may be that the TM(resolve) didn't appreciate the position (although I expect he encountered a similar position at Nailsea, so might have started to wonder why there were so many people waiting for a service that isn't shown as existing from those stations.)

To reinforce the point about running early, on one occasion the TM told me that he was hoping that by getting ahead of time they could get south of Taunton before single line working kicked in that night, which would give an arrival in Exeter over half an hour before the booked time. The t/t (at that time) allowed for the possibility of SLW, so included lots of hanging around in the middle of nowhere.   
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 16:52:54 »

Thank you everyone for your views.
In summary, it is there in case FGW (First Great Western) wish to use it, but rarely enforced.
Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: