Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
6th May (2005)
DfT / SRA future service level discussion (*)

Train RunningCancelled
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
07:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
13:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
14:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
15:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:32 Great Malvern to London Paddington
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:47 Bristol Temple Meads to Frome
20:58 Frome to Westbury
21:28 Weymouth to Westbury
21:33 Westbury to Salisbury
21:35 Maidenhead to Marlow
22:02 Marlow to Maidenhead
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:35 Maidenhead to Marlow
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
07/05/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
07/05/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
07/05/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
05:11 Gloucester to Southampton Central
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
08:19 Taunton to Cardiff Central
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
09:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
11:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
11:52 London Paddington to Hereford
12:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
13:11 Taunton to Cardiff Central
13:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
15:18 Hereford to London Paddington
15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
17:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
17:55 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
18:29 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19:45 Great Malvern to London Paddington
19:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
20:06 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
21:00 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
21:53 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
22:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
23:42 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
05:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
etc
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 06, 2024, 08:07:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[118] Server load - 5th May 2024
[44] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[42] Walking between stations
[40] Something different !
[39] Champion to Westbury

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock cascade of class 150s  (Read 154751 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2011, 18:03:02 »

Nothing sits in Swindon , and not strictly true 2O00 is diagrammed 2 car 158 utilising the SWT (South West Trains) Hired set

That doesn't tally with the info provided by FGW (First Great Western) regarding strengthened services from 12th December.

Also, hasn't the SWT 158 returned to them?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2011, 18:19:24 »

Nothing sits in Swindon , and not strictly true 2O00 is diagrammed 2 car 158 utilising the SWT (South West Trains) Hired set

Agreed nothing sits at Swindon.   But I'm a bit confused here.

The 07:04 Westbury to Swindon - getting there at 07:48 and continues to Cheltenham.  Is that 2O00, or have things (and the hired SWT set's disposition) changed?

The 07:11 Gloucester to Swindon (via Chippenham) gets to Swindon at 09:03. This is the one I was asking about  ... surely not the SWT set?  It's reported earlier in this thread as 3 cars now, and has been running as 150 + 153, I understand.  It then forms the 09:54 to Cheltenham, getting there at 11:05.  I thought it came back at 12:01 from Cheltenham, into Swindon again (13:04 to 13:54), but is it still 3 cars at that point?  Seems an awful lot of standing time too if I have this right??

Sorry - don't have the train numbers - help in sorting out the confusion would be appreciated.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 18:56:29 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 18, 2011, 19:25:41 »

The unit departs as a three coach set up towards Gloucester just before 10am, with, it would appear the 153 locked out of use. When it returns to Swindon it's only the 150. The SWT (South West Trains) set is the unit that forms the alternate workings, and so is not relevant to graham's question. 
fatcontroller

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 19, 2011, 01:00:33 »

Agreed nothing sits at Swindon.   But I'm a bit confused here.

The 07:04 Westbury to Swindon - getting there at 07:48 and continues to Cheltenham.  Is that 2O00, or have things (and the hired SWT set's disposition) changed?

The 07:11 Gloucester to Swindon (via Chippenham) gets to Swindon at 09:03. This is the one I was asking about  ... surely not the SWT set?  It's reported earlier in this thread as 3 cars now, and has been running as 150 + 153, I understand.  It then forms the 09:54 to Cheltenham, getting there at 11:05.  I thought it came back at 12:01 from Cheltenham, into Swindon again (13:04 to 13:54), but is it still 3 cars at that point?  Seems an awful lot of standing time too if I have this right??

Sorry - don't have the train numbers - help in sorting out the confusion would be appreciated.  Thanks.

The 153 is required to strengthen Gloucester - Bristol aspect of the Gloucester - Swindon service.

It is detached at Gloucester upon arrival to then attach to the 1442 Gloucester - Westbury which arrives in Gloucester as a single 153 from Bristol. This is due to 11:10 Weymouth - Gloucester being split into a Weymouth-Bristol service and a Bristol - Gloucester service in order to improve performance. The 11:10 is a notorious poor performer.

former FGW (First Great Western) Staff now working for the People's republic of ScotRail
Anything I post is my own personal view and not that of FGW, FirstGroup, ScotRail or Transport Scotland.
Anything official from these sources will be marked as such.
fatcontroller

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 19, 2011, 01:01:30 »

The 07:11 Gloucester to Swindon, now 3 carriages.  150 + 153, I believe.

Question - what happens to the second unit from Swindon - does it strengthen the Stroud Valley all day, or get taken off somewhere to come back into play in the evening peak?

If it sits in Swindon all day then perhaps it could be used to provide a  regular service between Swindon & Westbury  providing there are paths etc available.

There really is an obsession involving Melksham isn't there?!?!

former FGW (First Great Western) Staff now working for the People's republic of ScotRail
Anything I post is my own personal view and not that of FGW, FirstGroup, ScotRail or Transport Scotland.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #380 on: December 19, 2011, 01:03:09 »

Where's Melksham?  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 19, 2011, 07:24:32 »

This is due to 11:10 Weymouth - Gloucester being split into a Weymouth-Bristol service and a Bristol - Gloucester service in order to improve performance. The 11:10 is a notorious poor performer.
Hardly surprising because of the tight turn around at Weymouth of the previous service arriving at 11.03. You only have to have to busy service picking up many day trippers heading to Weymouth and it starts to lose time, especially if operated by a 158/153 where entry/exit isn't as fast as a 150.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #382 on: December 19, 2011, 18:20:27 »

So there should be to remind DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) and FGW (First Great Western) that the matter will not go away

Edited to disentangle and truncate quote for clarity
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 18:54:05 by inspector_blakey » Logged
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #383 on: December 19, 2011, 19:49:40 »

The 0723 goes on to form the 1051 Great Malvern - Brighton hence the formation being 3-cars in order to strengthen the  Brighton service.

There are no 2-car 158 diagrams anymore as they should all have been 3cars by now.

The 0723 may be a coach short but there are other services around the same time that are now a lot bigger.
Thanks very much for your reply.
Phil
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #384 on: December 20, 2011, 09:59:06 »

So there should be to remind DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) and FGW (First Great Western) that the matter will not go away

Let me give a bit of background as to why I asked.

Those of us who are concerned that the current TransWilts service is too sparse to be fit for purpose have often looked at (and continue to look at) units parked up for 35 minutes in every 120, at Cheltenham, 70 minutes in every 120 at Swindon, and during the day between peaks at Westbury and various other places.  We've also looked at hourly services in our area where - suddenly in the middle of the day - an extra train runs 10 minutes behind the hourly service, calling at just one other station, and we've looked at some strange sorties by trains into areas served predominantly by other franchises - running so close to those other trains at times that we wonder at the minimum headway that the signals must provide there!

We do this so that we can understand.  To help us better ask sensible questions, and to make good suggestions as to where a small change could make a big difference. And indeed I have three examples that I can immediatey think of where such suggestions have been taken up, or perhaps where a similar though has come to the professionals and the result has been that what we may have hoped for - small things thus far - have happened.

My question about the extra 153 that's just been added to the service to Swindon was to help us understand the disposition of an extra train that's possibly in the area for part of the day - and many thanks, fatcontroller, for providing that information.  We now know it sits at Gloucester for 232 minutes.  It's another piece in our jigsaw of understanding.  Alas - I'm not sure if it will lead to any useful suggestions, or simply be a blind alley that's examined and then found to be blind ... let's see ...

If the 153 formed an 09:15 service from Swindon to Salisbury, then a 10:30 Salisbury to Swindon, it could carry on with the 11:54 to Gloucester and be in place there in excellent time for it's 14:22 onward service. BUT there are multiple concerns there.  Firstly, would such an extra service alone tip the balance from a service that's run at such a low level, and such strange times, that it fails to attract reasonable custom into one which naturally grows?  I personally would guess that at least an equivalent service would be needed late afternoon to tip the balance.  Secondly, there are more complex issues to look at on the Westbury / Salisbury 'leg' - a danger of doubling up in exactly the same way I have described above as being a potential waste of resources, and thus perhaps an opportunity to sort out something more radical there.

If the 153 dettached from the Gloucester - Swindon train at Bristol, Bath or Chippenham and ran via Westbury or Warminster (reverse) to Swindon ... but then what about route and platform capacities along the way?  And we've still not quite tipped the balance, or have we?  For we have provided an arrival in Swindon at around 10 a.m., which when linked with the 18:44 Swindon to Southampton provides an 8.75 hour day from Warminster (perhaps), Dilton Marsh (perhaps) Westbury, Trowbridge and Melksham to Swindon (in contrast to current 11 hour offering) and would provide a 9.25 hour day from the same stations to Chippenham (in contrast to the current 11.5 hour day)

If ... - yes - there are other suggestions too.  Experience tells me that for every 9 blind alleys, there may be one that works. Of course, I'm an amateur who's not really equipped to know which is which - but we've seen various proofs over the years that from apparently fully utilised resources a little extra can be squeezed and that the little extra can have a dramatic effect.  19:37, Sunday, Westbury to Swindon.  Average passengers - 200 when there's an 08:20 Swindon to Westbury on Sunday morning, 20 when the 08:20 Swindon to Westbury does not run. And the 08:20 is use of a set that would otherwise be parked in the siding at that time.

There is, indeed, a natural tendency for many of us to look at the TransWilts line more strongly than others.  The TransWilts 'service' is, frankly, inappropriate for the needs of the corridor served unlike other services in the area.  So it needs for discussion and attention. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: December 20, 2011, 13:34:00 »

Well said Grahame, this is almost exactly the reason I'm interested to find out if the 153 that sits at Swansea for much of the day at the moment is guaranteed to be there. If it is, it could be used to plug the 5hr afternoon gap in Fishguard's, otherwise finally approaching useful, service.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #386 on: December 20, 2011, 18:51:30 »

It would have to be funded.   Doubtful if it would get to Fishguard and back when pathing has to be considered especially with SLW stretch through Gowerton.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 20, 2011, 18:54:48 »

Gentle reminder folks: we already have an existing thread dealing with services in south west Wales.

Please can we keep this one specific to the cascade of 150 units to FGW (First Great Western) that has recently occurred and its specific implications please? Thanks.
fatcontroller

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 20, 2011, 19:41:26 »

If the 153 formed an 09:15 service from Swindon to Salisbury, then a 10:30 Salisbury to Swindon, it could carry on with the 11:54 to Gloucester and be in place there in excellent time for it's 14:22 onward service. BUT there are multiple concerns there.  Firstly, would such an extra service alone tip the balance from a service that's run at such a low level, and such strange times, that it fails to attract reasonable custom into one which naturally grows?  I personally would guess that at least an equivalent service would be needed late afternoon to tip the balance.  Secondly, there are more complex issues to look at on the Westbury / Salisbury 'leg' - a danger of doubling up in exactly the same way I have described above as being a potential waste of resources, and thus perhaps an opportunity to sort out something more radical there.

The problem that exists in Swindon is that the platforms are not permissible for passenger trains; therefore your "new" 1030 Salisbury - Swindon would need to arrive onto a different platform (1 or 3) and then shunt empty into the bay to attach to the 11:54. I don't know whether there is sufficient time or there is a sufficient gap to allow the shunt to take place with other services around.

bigdaz
« Reply #389 on: December 20, 2011, 20:25:40 »

The problem that exists in Swindon is that the platforms are not permissible for passenger trains;

I am really sorry fatcontroller - please don't be offended but I don't understand this comment... please could you explain for a simpleton like me.  Thanks
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: