06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 04:59:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[100] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[58] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[37] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: General Election 2010 and its implications for the railways (combined topic)  (Read 25739 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:40:08 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) (click for full article):

The Liberal Democrats have set out plans to reopen thousands of miles of railway tracks and stations.

The scheme would be funded by cutting capital spending on roads by ^3bn.

Edit by Chris: Topic heading changed, in view of General Election now being confirmed.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 00:49:13 by chris from nailsea » Logged
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:07:24 »

And the interesting thing is that there is even a small chance it may happen should there be a hung parliament!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:41:54 »

Great plans but it's not going to happen is it. If there is a hung parliament I very much doubt that the Lib Dems will be using their transport policy as a bargaining chip in helping to form a government with either the Tories or Labour. It will be PR (Public Relations) so they stand a better chance of getting elected in future general elections.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:12:10 »

A bit of cloud coco land electioneering, its not always opening of long closed lines that's needed but completely new routes (I am not just talking HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) routes) reopening of stations may work in some places but why not stations in completely new locations.

One thing though this has put railways into the election, hopefully it will question the commitment of the two major parties

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:41:15 »

I would be questioning where they are planning on getting the rolling stock from, without cutting back services on other lines.  ^3bn would probably only just fund laying track, building stations, red tape, etc.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:17:03 »

As is usual with policy announcements of this nature, the devil would be in the detail; on this morning's BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio 4 Today programme a transport 'expert' from Liverpool Polytechnic stated that new railway comes in at ^7m a mile plus an extra ^3m/mile if you want it electrified (I have no idea if these figures are correct) and on that basis the ^3bn would get you around 450 additional route miles rather than the 'thousands' mentioned in press releases/news items.
It would be very easy to waste the ^3bn on schemes that were not even vaguely cost-effective.
The announcement seems also to have copied the previously published Tory policy of making it far easier for local authorities to obtain funding for improving rail infrastructure.
Once the General Election is formally announced I wonder what the actual party transport policies will look like!
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:47:47 »

Yes Bob, I heard that, but the rolling stock issue is far more pressing as we know. The "proposal"...at least 20 years old, for a new station at Haxby on the York to Scarborough line (effectively a York City Council dream to shrink commuting) has been re, re, re-estimated at over ^10m and 4 year build, and that for two, I guess, 6 car platforms, a footbridge, shelters and car parking...doubt if it'll even be staffed.
When I shared an office in Manchester with some of the consultants in 1999 they were finalising the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) cable runs!...so that's incouraging I don't think. Eleven years on, the local York Press, when there's been no crack-heads stealing cable, dredge from the back-listing with great fanfare "Haxby station on track" and similar tripe...Lib dem council if you're curious!  Lips sealed
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 14:26:45 »

Vote for me chaps !

I'll introduce free beer at the "point of demand" for everyone, as well - hic ! 

I thought Kennedy had been ousted ?
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 14:37:32 »

from http://www.greenparty.org.uk/policies/transport.html

[The Green New Deal commits investment to a major expansion of public transport. We will:

^ Double the size of the bus fleet through an investment of ^3 billion to buy 30,000 new buses and create 70,000 jobs.
^ Provide a further ^2 billion to subsidise bus fares and get new services operational.
^ Bring the railway system back into public ownership and spend ^2 billion on new track and rolling stock, and on urban tram schemes - together creating 20,000 jobs.
^ Reduce UK (United Kingdom) rail fares by one third to bring them in line with the European average through a ^3 billion subsidy./quote]

Wonder where the 10 billion is coming from.. oh heres where

Here are just some ways the Green New Deal tackles the most pressing problems we face today:

^ A new architecture for the financial system so that it serves the ^real' economy, this includes breaking up the big banks so they are no longer ^too big to fail' and a massive clampdown on tax avoidance to generate ^10 billion in revenue.

Grin

and for proper policies http://www.loonyparty.com/index.php?page=manifestoproposals-1

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 14:49:46 by signalandtelegraph » Logged

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 14:52:53 »

new roads will still be built.... pot-holes just wont get filled!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 18:13:04 »

Road developments do need to go ahead as well.

Ok, it may not be the most fashionable thing to say these days, but like it or not, we have millions of cars that will not go away and most people drive - fact. So as well as rail developments, to try and ease traffic, we also need certain strategic road developments, be it bypasses, motorway widening, etc; and air.

The Scottish gov have got it right. Build the new Glasgow to Edinburgh rail link, speed up the others AND build extensions to the M74 and M8.

I also think that London needs another runway. I just oppose the Heathrow Expansion due to the level of destruction of urban areas and because of the extra noise pollution across much of the city.

Oh, and the Lib Dems can say anything 'cos they'll never win, etc...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 19:07:49 »

A bit of cloud coco land electioneering, its not always opening of long closed lines that's needed but completely new routes (I am not just talking HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) routes) reopening of stations may work in some places but why not stations in completely new locations.

I wonder how much fine talk - on all sides - will fall by the wayside after the election.

Starting with the most cost effective ... you could:

* Add trains on existing lines serving existing station which would benefit from increased services and have capacity

* Add stations on existing lines - not necessarily where stations happened to be 60 years ago

* Reopen routes that predominantly use existing earthworks

* Build a new route

Taking a medium term view (i.e. five to ten years - NOT electioneering), and of a public passenger transport system that was "middle of the road", you would be looking carefully in schemes in all categories, I suspect.

And paying for it? I look at the current system and I wonder "isn't there a less buraucratic way of doing it", and "isn't there a way of taking some of the financial peculiarities out of the system?"   Over the past few years, I've met with a number of very good staff in the various organisations that we need to work with in our own local area, and at times they can be as frustrated as those of us on what might be referred to as "the other side" asking for improvements.  In reallity, it turns out that we've mostly got similar goals - and "the other side" is very often the system itself.

Road developments do need to go ahead as well.

Ok, it may not be the most fashionable thing to say ...

It may not be fashionable, but it's right.  Most people don't just make a train journey - they connect onward by car, taxi, bus, cycle, tube, ferry ... at one end of their train journey at least;  I have been known to shock people in these parts by suggesting that a road be built in two or three specific places.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 21:15:31 »

[I have been known to shock people in these parts by suggesting that a road be built in two or three specific places.

.........like around Westbury ??  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 23:10:14 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

PM to announce 6 May general election

Gordon Brown will announce on Tuesday morning that the general election will, as expected, be held on 6 May, BBC political editor Nick Robinson says.
The prime minister will go to Buckingham Palace to ask the Queen to dissolve Parliament.
On returning from the Palace he will formally confirm the date and make a speech in Downing Street in which he will dub the election "the big choice".
The economy, taxation and public services will be key battlegrounds.
The campaign will also feature, for the first time, live television debates between the three main party leaders.
It will be the first time that Mr Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg have faced a general election.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 04:10:35 »

How ironic. After jumping through all the hoops to arrange overseas proxy voting, I'll actually be in the country on 6 May. Although probably not in the relevant parliamentary constituency, I admit.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: