Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 04:07:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[100] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[58] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[37] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: General Election 2010 and its implications for the railways (combined topic)  (Read 25738 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 06:24:11 »

[I have been known to shock people in these parts by suggesting that a road be built in two or three specific places.

.........like around Westbury ??  Grin

Complex one that - and not what I was meaning as I posted.  Some cases that merit careful consideration and possible construction were included in core strategy responses, summarised here.

P.S. There's a number of old articles on my blog on the "red rag" of Westbury  Wink . Start  here if you need a link!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 19:47:20 »

From the Birmingham Post:

David Cameron kicks off Tory General Election campaign in Birmingham

Mr Cameron was in Birmingham for about an hour before being whisked away to catch a train to Leeds.

And he promised that the proposed high speed rail link between Birmingham and London would remain a priority under Tory rule.

^We are very committed to high speed rail,^ he vowed. ^We put high speed rail back on the map a few years ago when the Government was condemning it.

^We want to make it work. It^s a very exciting prospect for Birmingham but also for Manchester and Leeds as well.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 00:54:14 »

From The Times:

Brown left grounded as David Cameron gets off to a flying start

David Cameron^s campaign will exploit ^air superiority^ over Gordon Brown, as the Tories use their cash advantage to leave Labour grounded.
The Conservative leader travelled back to London by private plane after the first day of the election campaign last night and is expected to take to the air again today.
Aides say he will aim to visit at least two regions a day at the height of a campaign that targets seats across Britain. But while Mr Cameron^s packed itinerary requires frequent air travel, Mr Brown will fly on only a handful of occasions, according to the Labour leader^s spokesman. He will use a train instead most of the time, as he did yesterday.
With Labour compelled to make a virtue out of the necessity imposed by their relative poverty, the Conservatives said the party had not leased a single aircraft but had booked a number of different ones.
The Tories are aware that the gulf between the parties in terms of spending power could be turned against them, as the leaders battle to identify themselves with ordinary voters.
The Conservatives raised more than ^32 million last year and would have little difficulty in spending up to the maximum allowed of ^18.96 million, plus ^350,000 for Northern Ireland.
By contrast, Labour sources said the party was now halfway through a total war chest of only ^8 million. The party raised about ^16 million last year, mostly from the trade unions, but there is no prospect of further significant funding, sources said. Ministers have been told that they must travel to campaign events on economy fares unless there is a pressing reason, such as the need for police protection, that prevents them from doing so.
It has also been decided that the party^s manifesto will be printed on cheap, recycled paper. ^m sure the document will look professional but it certainly won^t be a glossy production,^ said an official close to the process.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 09:07:55 »

How ironic. After jumping through all the hoops to arrange overseas proxy voting, I'll actually be in the country on 6 May. Although probably not in the relevant parliamentary constituency, I admit.

And I'll be flying out that afternoon- I have left instructions with friends to txt me the updates so as soon as I touch down in LA.......and the phone goes on.....

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 11:01:00 »

A nice reasoned argument from the man the media turn to for er, a reasoned argument. So, Cornish independence is the answer!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/06/liberal-democrats-railway-plans
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 11:39:12 »

Can anyone provide a link to the Lib Dems press release regarding the re-openings policy? Cheers Huh
woody

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 19:35:02 »

It seems that even David Cameron prefers to fly to Plymouth rather than use the train or drive.
"The Conservative Party leader flew into the city on Day Three of the General Election campaign."
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/City-key-Britain-s-defence-8211-Cameron/article-1992320-detail/article.html
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 21:11:50 »

Can anyone provide a link to the Lib Dems press release regarding the re-openings policy? Cheers Huh

Here you go: http://www.libdems.org.uk/news_detail.aspx?title=Liberal_Democrats_pledge_biggest_rail_expansion_since_the_Victorians&pPK=f985d8ec-e525-4383-9bf0-92dd1c9ee859  Wink

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 21:45:13 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Labour wants to force rail firms to offer cheapest fare

Labour is going to include in its manifesto a commitment to force rail companies to offer passengers the cheapest fare, the BBC has learnt.
Rail passenger numbers are at the highest level since World War II, but consumers often complain that tickets are mis-sold.
The Tories say they would revamp the rail franchising system to give a better service.
The Lib Dems have pledged that fares would rise by less than inflation.
Labour says that if it wins the election it will give passengers an enforceable right to the cheapest fare, the BBC understands.
Consumers would be able to get a refund if they were mis-sold a ticket, with disputes going to the regulator.
When the consumer group Which? investigated rail fares, it found that the cheapest ticket was offered on fewer than half of occasions.
Researchers were not told about cheaper train firms, off-peak fares or season ticket savings.
However, the train companies said that mystery shopper investigations see the right ticket sold 99% of the time.

caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 22:55:31 »

Excellent thanks Chris Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 23:16:06 »

To be fair, my local ticket office is excellent, and I would think most are.

Any cases where more expensive tickets were sold would be due to stupid ticket restrictions and anomalies.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 23:32:27 »

Labour wants to force rail firms to offer cheapest fare

Erm, are they not already obliged to sell passengers the "cheapest ticket for your journey"? I'm fairly sure it's in the Conditions of Carriage along with impartial ticket retailing. This sounds like a piece of electioneering nonsense to me...

If this is indeed such a pressing and vote-winning issue, it's interesting that Labour haven't done anything about it for the last 13 years they've been in government!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 23:33:31 »

All well and good 'forcing' TOCs (Train Operating Company) to sell the cheapest fare - something they should do already - but often the cheapest fare is one that involves split ticketing or a slower route. I'd love to know just how Labour are going to legislate for this when the fares system is so complex. Oh, and how do you force a website or TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) to sell you the cheapest fare?

Want a Saturday day out in London from Bristol?:

Bristol TM(resolve) to Paddington, Super Off Peak Return (SSR) coming back the same day: ^48.80

Bristol TM to Didcot PW (Permanent Way), Off Peak Day Return (CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))) then Didcot PW to Paddington (CDR): ^38.80

And what if you ask at the Bristol TM ticket office for the cheapest ticket to London coming back the same day?

How many of the FGW (First Great Western) ticket staff will offer you (even just as an option) the Super Off Peak Day Return to Waterloo via Salisbury at ^29.90? Or even the cheaper still, and perfectly valid, Shirehampton to Waterloo (via SAL) Off Peak Day Return at ^27.10......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You want to do a weeks commuting between Plymouth and Paddington travelling first class? I'm betting the only fare you'll be offered is the 7 Day First Season (7DF) at ^766.50 overcharging you just over ^200 compared to a 7 Day First Class All Line Rover.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 00:01:50 »

It seems that even David Cameron prefers to fly to Plymouth rather than use the train or drive.
"The Conservative Party leader flew into the city on Day Three of the General Election campaign."
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/City-key-Britain-s-defence-8211-Cameron/article-1992320-detail/article.html

ASW I hope!!  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 02:59:55 »

I don't think it's unreasonable for the party leaders to fly during an election campaign. My only surprise is that they don't use private jets for the flexibility that they give.

After all, this is one occasion when time is critical, and they are trying to fit in as many visits as possible, to different parts of the country on the same day. (eg Visiting several places in the west country on one day does not have the same impact as visiting several places on separate days during the campaign, as the local TV and radio airtime will be much greater for each additional day spent in a region).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: