Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
17:55 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:48 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 17:34:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[93] June to December 2024 Timetables
[66] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New attempt on speed records  (Read 5890 times)
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2010, 15:46:21 »

The 15:11 from Hereford to Paddington is on the FGW (First Great Western) live update list as going to be an hour late from Hereford. 'Live departure times' then has a very optimistic set of expected times:
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 16:00:33 »

I don't use the line any more BUT

hahahahahahahahaha

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 16:01:17 »

There is loiter time at evesham and worcester but..... even so

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 17:07:09 »

Just left HFD» (Hereford - next trains) 93  mins down. Still some pretty optimistic timings in 'Live Departures'. And it's got to pass down services at suitable locations as well.

Broken down train between Hereford and Great Malvern apparently.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 17:44:19 »

Having 60 secs between departure from WOF and departure from WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) is impossible, seeing that it takes (even a 150) much longer than 60 secs to travel between the two! For an HST (High Speed Train), 3 minutes would be the minimum, although 5 minutes is probably needed due to the staff.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 18:28:25 »

18:25 and things are getting worse. The 15:11 from Hereford is now behind the 17:00 from Malvern (itself starting from W Foregate St tonight), so it's the best part of 2 hours late out of Shrub Hill.

And the halts train from Oxford to Worcester has been cancelled.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 00:32:02 »

The 15.11 was two hours down approaching Oxford, in turn delaying the Cathedrals Express by 25 minutes.

There appeared to be some sort of track fault on the Cotswold Line at Evenlode Grounds, between Kingham and Moreton-in-Marsh, where we slowed to what felt like about 15 or 20mph, FGW (First Great Western) website has had a notice about safety checks since about lunchtime.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 01:24:33 »

Not a day to be proud of for FGW (First Great Western) and the Cotswold Line today!  True, that two incidents (a bad track bump reported between Kingham and Moreton mid-morning, and a serious failure with the 14:51 GMV-WEY 'West' service at Great Malvern), were largely outside of anyone's control, some of the decisions were however shocking!

Firstly, the 15:51 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) was once again a three car Turbo.  I managed to see it leaving Oxford 10 minutes late and at a quick glance I reckon about 80 people were being forced to stand.  It was in the platform for about 5 or so minutes trying to squeeze everyone on!

Then, with literally seconds to go before departure, the Halts train at 17:31 from Oxford was cancelled.  The train was loaded and ready to go.  Apparently NR» (Network Rail - home page) (or FGW) control didn't want it getting in the way of this heavily delayed 15:11 HFD» (Hereford - next trains)-PAD further down the single line.  What a stupid decision, as the line to Ascott was clear.  This train should have run to Moreton-In-Marsh and a decision taken there as to whether to run it further.  As around 90% of the passengers on it aren't going further than Moreton there would have been little inconvenience had it terminated there and sat in the sidings until its booked return working. 

Instead of that everyone had to pile on the next HST (High Speed Train) at 18:16 which stopped at all the halts.  That knocked it by about 20 minutes, which in turn put 15 minutes into the 17:50 GMV-PAD, 15 minutes into the 17:50 PAD-WOF which then further clobbered the 15:11 HFD-PAD at Ascott (it eventually arrived Paddington 140 minutes late!), and that of course meant the 18:22 PAD-HFD had to sit in the Down Loop and was knocked by nearly 30 minutes.

Redoubling will help recover these delays much quicker, but better decisions need to be made from the relevant control offices too!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 01:31:21 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 02:58:56 »

Thanks for that, II.

As you say, cancelling the halts train (which I think was reported on the FGW (First Great Western) site as being a train fault) not the most sensible decision. Presumably the "train fault" was actually the one on the Malvern - Weymouth, 2-3 hours earlier.

Do you know why the failure of the Malvern - Weymouth had such a big impact on the HST (High Speed Train) to Hereford? I'd assumed that the HST had been trapped by a failure between Hereford and Ledbury.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:32:02 »

I know that the train in question (a 158 I think) could only be driven from the wrong end cab - I believe the brakes were stuck on - so it blocked the show for quite some time?  Also, I think the 10:22 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-HFD» (Hereford - next trains) which then forms the return 15:11 train was already quite severely delayed by the track defect I mentioned before it then got stuck behind this failure.  Apparently it was fairly chaotic at Worcester with no trains able to run towards Malvern and Hereford for quite some time!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
willc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 14:08:55 »

Not a day to be proud of for FGW (First Great Western) and the Cotswold Line today!  True, that two incidents (a bad track bump reported between Kingham and Moreton mid-morning, and a serious failure with the 14:51 GMV-WEY 'West' service at Great Malvern), were largely outside of anyone's control, some of the decisions were however shocking!

Shocking is putting it politely.

I hadn't realised the 17.31 was cancelled. This train would have been well clear of Ascott-under-Wychwood long before either train from Worcester arrived and not that many of the passengers would have been inconvenienced if, as you suggest, it went no further than Moreton-in-Marsh. There are worse places to get stuck for 40 or 45 minutes on a summer evening.

I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I arrived at Oxford to see they had decided to run the 17.00 from Malvern, when the HST (High Speed Train) must have bearing down on it fast after finally getting under way. When the Turbo arrived at Oxford, to a packed platform 1 under the canopy, it was carrying more than 200 people off the Cotswold Line. As I was up the far end of platform 2, I could only assume, given how empty platform 1 was after it left and the strain in the engine note as it started, that this Turbo was also grossly overloaded. As we passed the Hereford north of Oxford, I couldn't see how many were on board. Not that many I'd guess, given the numbers on the 166.

I will admit cancelling the turbo at worcester might have caused a problem at Paddington in mid-evening but by that time there are surely Turbos coming spare after the peak. If the crew weren't out of hours, then this Turbo could have taken up the path of the halts return working from Worcester to Oxford.

I would like to think someone, somewhere, might sit down with the train logs and try to work out some better 'what do we do if' scenarios, but in nine years of travelling between Oxford and the Cotswolds, I have to say I see precious little evidence of lessons being learned from these kind of situations, either by Thames Trains or FGW after they took over.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 15:46:38 »

And today there's been some sort of problem at Carmarthen with the 10:00 from Pembroke Dock to Paddington, which has ended up running non-stop from Cardiff:
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 15:52:13 »

From FGW (First Great Western):

10:00 Pembroke Dock to London Paddington due 15:32

This train has been revised. It will no longer call at: Carmarthen, Newport South Wales, Bristol Parkway, Swindon, Didcot Parkway and Reading. This is due to signalling problems.

Last Updated: 31/07/2010 13:57

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 16:07:01 »

Made up 22 minutes in the process. Pax for other stations will then have been put on the 1425 to Paddington.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: