Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 04 May 2024
- 'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
- Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
4th May (1951)
Festival of Britain opens to public (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Great Malvern to London Paddington
18:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
22:02 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
13:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
15:13 Hereford to London Paddington
23:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
23:23 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 04, 2024, 19:14:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[188] Something different !
[179] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[59] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[55] Walking between stations
[54] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[45] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 112
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line redoubling: 2008 - 2011  (Read 644159 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2009, 19:30:38 »

Welcome to the forum bleeder4.. Hopefully someone here will be able to answer your question  Smiley
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2009, 19:37:56 »

I would say drive to Warwick Parkway, and take the regular, RELIABLE, Chiltern Railways service.

This could be rather far for a taxi, but so is Cheltenham.
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2009, 21:05:50 »

Stratford is closer (16 miles); Cheltenham, 19.7 miles and Warwick Parkway 24 miles. Frequency of service from Warwick Parkway, and Marylebone being closer to St Pancras, makes Warwick Parkway the best bet.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 30, 2009, 21:58:04 »

I forgot about Stratford, but the service is once per two hours.

I would definitely pay the extra taxi fare to use Chiltern instead of FGW (First Great Western) though, even if it is 4 miles further to W P'way.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2009, 00:03:45 »

I'm not entirely sure, but have a feeling that there could well be some FGW (First Great Western) replacement buses running direct between Evesham and Cheltenham Spa station during the closure, so I would keep an eye out for the details of what will be happening over the summer, which are due to be issued shortly. If that's the case, then you would only need to pay for a rail ticket from Evesham, rather than forking out for a cab, plus a train fare.
James_H

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 02, 2009, 15:56:41 »

For anyone who's not aware, it's now possible to check the times of the replacement buses (at least for the early phase of this summer's closures) by checking on nationalrail.co.uk...
willc

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 11, 2009, 21:43:23 »

Preparations continuing, with lots of new rails dropped over the weekend west of Moreton-in-Marsh station - can be seen under the bridge carrying the Fosse Way over the line.

Also had been wondering who the old goods shed had been refurbished for and have realised Network Rail have done it themselves as a new home for the Moreton permanent way gang, though I assume it will also be serving as site offices for the next couple of years. The modern 'Moreton-in-Marsh depot' sign which used to be fixed to the rather tatty old wooden hut across the tracks is propped up next to the steps into the goods shed.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #352 on: May 21, 2009, 21:31:30 »

From the Evesham Journal:

With work on the Cotswold Line looming, rail users can get an update on how plans are progressing on Saturday.

The project will see the majority of track between Worcester and Oxford redoubled and the Cotswold Line Promotion Group is holding its annual meeting to pass on the latest news. The meeting is being held at the WI Hall, Moreton, on Saturday at 10.30am.

Guest speaker will be Mike Gallop, route director for Network Rail, which is spearheading the project.

Rail users will also have a chance to quiz representatives of First Great Western and London Midland on their roles in the project.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Don

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2009, 11:50:40 »

From Evesham there will a rail replacement bus to Worcester and/or Cheltenham to connect with Paddington trains running from Worcester via Cheltenham.

The other option might be to stop overnight in a hotel, some Travel Lodge type hotels can be cheap (^20-40) if you book this far ahead.

Regards,
Don.
bleeder4

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 27, 2009, 20:04:19 »

The buses only run during the week though and I was going on the Saturday morning. I opted for Cheltenham in the end though as I'd rather go on an HST (High Speed Train) than a Turbo and Chiltern use Turbos. Interestingly, I've just noticed on the nationalrail website that the 0927 from Evesham to Paddington on 18th July is running as normal on the Saturday morning and every train after that and before that is a replacement bus, but I'm not sure how reliable that is.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 20, 2009, 17:29:59 »

Conductor on my train back from Oxford this afternoon made an announcement about the redoubling work coming up as we set off from Oxford and advised people to get the timetables from stations or go online, so top marks for that - though since it was a (booked) Turbo service, I expect it won't matter as none of the passengers will be coming back after being traumatised a la btline by the experience.

Not sure whether it is an initiative by the Worcester staff, as I haven't heard a dicky-bird on services in the past couple of days operated by Bristol or London crews.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 20, 2009, 17:46:56 »

I expect it won't matter as none of the passengers will be coming back after being traumatised a la btline by the experience.

Priceless  Cheesy
willc

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 22, 2009, 23:43:51 »

Some more meet the manager events now scheduled along the line ahead of the redoubling closure, as follows:

24th June, 2009   16.00 to 19.00   Oxford
6th July 2009   18.30 to 20.00   Evesham
7th July 2009   07.00 to 08.30   Kingham
7th July 2009   19.00 to 20.30   Moreton-in-Marsh
8th July 2009   07.00 to 08.30   Charlbury
8th July 2009   18.30 to 20.00   Worcester Shrub Hill
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 07, 2009, 10:17:58 »

Did anyone else sign up for the email information on the FGW (First Great Western) website. After registering I go the confirmation email immediately, but since then not a thing, not a single email. Has anyone else received any updates at all from this system?

cheers

IanL
bleeder4

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 07, 2009, 13:54:56 »

I signed up a few months back and got an update about 3 weeks ago saying they were still working on the replacement timetable and hoped to publish it start of July - despite the fact it had been available on their own website and the nationalrail.co.uk website for at least 2 weeks.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 112
  Print  

Jump to: