Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 04 May 2024
- 'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
- Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
4th May (2017)
First WECA Mayor elected (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
17:48 Great Malvern to London Paddington
18:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
20:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Bristol Temple Meads
22:02 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
13:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
15:13 Hereford to London Paddington
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
17:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
23:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
23:23 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
Delayed
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 04, 2024, 17:45:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[200] Something different !
[190] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[63] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[58] Walking between stations
[57] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[48] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 112
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line redoubling: 2008 - 2011  (Read 644150 times)
Don

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: December 18, 2010, 23:19:57 »

At least frozen points or token failures won't be problem tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Don.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 21, 2010, 00:01:18 »

Snow seems to have put paid to work until next year.

Instead, FGW (First Great Western) brings you perhaps the slowest trains ever to operate on the Cotswold Line, running to the timings of the replacement buses. I hope they have turned out sets with the cab heating in good nick for all that sitting around at stations waiting time. Full marks to FGW and Network Rail for doing it, though I don't imagine the tm will be rushed off their feet selling and checking tickets.

23:02 Oxford to Worcester Shrub Hill due 02:16
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 23:02 Oxford to Worcester Shrub Hill due 02:16 run on 20/12/10.
This service will operate as a train instead of the 23:02 replacement bus service to Worcester Shrub Hill, calling at: Hanborough, Charlbury, Shipton, Kingham, Moreton-in-Marsh, Honeybourne, Evesham, Pershore and Worcester Shrub Hill.
Last Updated: 20/12/2010 20:58

23:03 Worcester Shrub Hill to Oxford due 02:06
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 23:03 Worcester Shrub Hill to Oxford due 02:06 run on 20/12/10.
This service will operate as a train instead of the 23:03 replacement bus service to Oxford, calling at: Pershore, Evesham, Honeybourne, Moreton-in-Marsh, Kingham, Charlbury and Oxford.
Last Updated: 20/12/2010 21:05

PS: There are some new pictures one of my colleagues took down at Hinksey Sidings in Oxford on Friday here http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/pictures/oxfordshire_galleries/cotswoldline2009/page/1/ along with some of mine already I had posted elsewhere.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 00:36:15 by willc » Logged
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 21, 2010, 18:09:54 »

Full marks to FGW (First Great Western) and Network Rail for doing it

Send them both to detention!

Snow Disruption - Tuesday 21st December 2010

Heavy snowfall is affecting our train services. We intend to run the full advertised train service, with the following alterations:

North Cotswolds Route:

Rail Replacement cancellations:
Please be aware that the following planned road replacement transport is unable to operate.

21:31 Oxford to Great Malvern via all Stations
23:02 Oxford to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:40 Worcester Foregate St. to Oxford
23:03 Worcester Shrub Hill to Oxford

We are unable to operate any additional train services in lieu of these cancelled services.

[/size]

Meanwhile, the link on the website's front page for tomorrows altered service is currently linking to the service for the remainder of today (including the above passage), and makes no mention of tomorrow at all.  Angry

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #858 on: December 21, 2010, 19:23:15 »

The bit for tomorrow is further down the page. The only Cotswold Line service mentioned is "0517 Great Malvern - London Paddington ^ Cancelled".
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 21, 2010, 19:45:28 »

The bit for tomorrow is further down the page.

It is now.  It wasn't when I originally posted!   

Similar service to today, but to their credit the Oxford-Paddington's I mentioned yesterday have been partly reinstated to give an hourly service.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
willc

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 22, 2010, 00:27:02 »

Full marks to FGW (First Great Western) and Network Rail for doing it

Send them both to detention!

Snow Disruption - Tuesday 21st December 2010

Heavy snowfall is affecting our train services. We intend to run the full advertised train service, with the following alterations:

North Cotswolds Route:

Rail Replacement cancellations:
Please be aware that the following planned road replacement transport is unable to operate.

21:31 Oxford to Great Malvern via all Stations
23:02 Oxford to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:40 Worcester Foregate St. to Oxford
23:03 Worcester Shrub Hill to Oxford

We are unable to operate any additional train services in lieu of these cancelled services.

[/size]

I wonder if a single passenger actually bothered to venture out last night anyway? Most of the area is currently hunkered down for the night by mid-evening, with Moreton-in-Marsh very quiet indeed the past couple of nights by the time FGW has deposited me home. Probably makes more sense to send the train crews and signallers home to their beds.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #861 on: December 22, 2010, 11:47:40 »

I'd agree that the 11pm "45 minutes to Charlbury" special is probably a little unnecessary for most people, but I'm very disappointed in the cancellation of the 9pm. I'm coming back down from Burton-on-Trent this evening and the latest I can leave - if everything runs to plan - is 5.49pm. That's not great.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 23, 2010, 00:52:19 »

I take your point Richard, but on Monday they did not run trains in place of the 9pm pair of buses, only the later pair. And if Stagecoach still doesn't feel able to run a bus down to Charlbury - never mind the need to go on to the likes of Kingham on roads which haven't been touched by gritters - are FGW (First Great Western)'s coach contractors likely to take a different view?

It might be nice to think that they could run trains in special timings but don't forget that the crew diagrams for the next six months have been drawn up specifically to take account of the late-night closures, with Worcester conductors now on the 17.22 and 18.22 to get them home for the day, while it looks like Bristol are crewing the 17.50, which now runs back to Swindon from Worcester.

And the problems caused by the weather must be making it 10 times harder to ensure there are crews in the right places at the right time. Tonight at Oxford, it took a good five minutes or so to find a driver to take out the 19.16 to Banbury.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #863 on: December 23, 2010, 08:52:17 »

I actually got back to Oxford early enough to (in theory) get the 18.54 to Charlbury, but that was cancelled. The 19.21 turned up at around 19.40 and was experiencing a fault with the braking system. The driver fixed this only for it to reoccur at Hanborough, so after consultation with Swindon he was told to override it and proceed to Worcester at 40mph... with the next HST (High Speed Train) following behind. We got into Charlbury an hour late; I dread to think what time it limped into Worcester.

To be honest I think FGW (First Great Western) are doing a sterling job in the conditions. Having travelled with both FGW and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) in the last week it's pretty clear who's going the extra mile. Let's hope XC's new owners introduce a bit of Teutonic rigour!
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 25, 2010, 21:21:34 »

I actually got back to Oxford early enough to (in theory) get the 18.54 to Charlbury, but that was cancelled. The 19.21 turned up at around 19.40 and was experiencing a fault with the braking system. The driver fixed this only for it to reoccur at Hanborough, so after consultation with Swindon he was told to override it and proceed to Worcester at 40mph... with the next HST (High Speed Train) following behind. We got into Charlbury an hour late; I dread to think what time it limped into Worcester.

To be honest I think FGW (First Great Western) are doing a sterling job in the conditions. Having travelled with both FGW and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) in the last week it's pretty clear who's going the extra mile. Let's hope XC's new owners introduce a bit of Teutonic rigour!

Wrong, an AWS (Automatic Warning System) problem.
PS Thanks for the praise, ended with 2hrs 30 min unwanted overtime last week, just by completing my rostered bit of driving.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #865 on: December 26, 2010, 02:26:10 »

Hmm  Undecided

Sorry to hear about your un-volunteered-for overtime, Toiletdriver - but I do hope you have a good Christmas break.

CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 26, 2010, 12:27:34 »

Wrong, an AWS (Automatic Warning System) problem.

Which I had noted in the snowy/wintry conditions thread in Across the West. And the train manager did mention that the faulty "safety system", as he described it, was linked with the brakes, in the course of explaining to passengers what was going on.
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 26, 2010, 18:40:58 »

Hmm  Undecided

Sorry to hear about your un-volunteered-for overtime, Toiletdriver - but I do hope you have a good Christmas break.

CfN.  Wink

Thanks, but I don't celebrate this time of year, I hate it with a vengence!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 03, 2011, 18:56:18 »

Now that the thaw has cleared away the snow I went out for a look at the western end of the redoubling zone today.

Looks like the new cable route is nearing completion between Moreton-in-Marsh and Evesham, with just the areas either side of Littleton & Badsey level crossing and just east of Evesham station the main ones with much work still to do. There are gaps here and there in other places, such as Aston Magna curve and lids still to go on ducting in places but that's about all. Still no sign of new rails from Clayfield level crossing into Evesham. Few pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/willc2009/sets/72157624136810327/

Apparently the lost week's worth of work before Christmas on the Oxfordshire section should not hold things up, as some leeway had been built into the schedule to allow for delays due to the weather.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 19:47:49 by willc » Logged
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 05, 2011, 09:27:10 »

First lot of ballast laid and tamped last night, starting at Charlbury and working west.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 112
  Print  

Jump to: