16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 16:41:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[231] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[91] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[52] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[48] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[38] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transforming Passenger Information Customer Experience Summit 2013  (Read 5779 times)
birm2lond

View Profile Email
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:25:26 »

I will be blogging and tweeting from this Summit next week - www.transforming-passenger-information.com

Feedback on points to raise very welcome!

Peter

@birm2lond

http://birmingham2london.blogspot.co.uk
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:48:58 »

I will be blogging and tweeting from this Summit next week.

Feedback on points to raise very welcome!

Peter

Please post up some report here too, Peter, and we'll be very happy to provide feedback - we're happy for you to mention your own blog from time to time, but please don't use the Coffee Shop just to advertise it  Wink ... we all tend to be very busy, and it's a real help to us to be able to get key headlines and summaries without having to visit everyone's separate page!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
birm2lond

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 18:38:03 »

Grahame - point taken and happy to oblige!

Clearly the most relevant topic at the Conference for Forum members was Darwin, not least because Matt Bromley (Station Manager Marylebone) spoke enthusiastically about the 'quick win' that the system had given Chiltern Railways. I see that Darwin has mentions elsewhere so, briefly, it is a single national database with a single prediction engine that is being put in place to feed the 2000 Customer Information System screens at stations and to feed other CIS (Customer Information System) sources such as web sites. The lead organisation for it is National Rail Enquiries.

Matt highlighted two gains for Chiltern: a single source of information now offers 87 delay reasons rather than the previous 5, and Chiltern CIS screens now reflect the national 'live' situation. This is a particular benefit in relation to CrossCountry delays - previously, Chiltern had been 'blind' to delays south of Oxford.

Ketech has issued a press release on the work (http://www.ketech.com/index.php/media-centre/our-news/latest-news/post/2012/12/19/first-networked-cis-darwin-interface) whilst Tom Cairns has blogged on the open data implications of Darwin (http://thomas-cairns.co.uk/2013/02/orr-real-time-train-information-consultation/)

Also of direct interest to Forum members would be the related presentations by Anthony Smith and Guy Dangerfield of Passenger Focus on the actual Customer Experience that was driving the need to transform Passenger Information. Clearly the twice-yearly National Passenger Survey is pivotal in informing TOCs (Train Operating Company) of the concerns of their passengers and it would seem from the TOC speakers is taken seriously...

The two PF (Penalty Fare) speakers wanted consistent timely information, especially during disruptions; joined-up systems that allowed the passenger to find out the same information from a variety of sources; the use of plain English rather than 'railway speak'; staff who treated passengers as 'human beings'; and the TOCs to be pro-active rather than reactive.

Elsewhere in the programme, LondonMidland spoke on the success of using Twitter (and some of the pitfalls) whilst East Midlands Trains presented on the importance of staff involvement and training. Among the international presentations was one by Deutsche Bahn on an integrated Android App which is being rolled out in Germany to provide real-time information to both staff and passengers. Interestingly a key challenge has been to find developers with the requisite HTML5 and Android app skills!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 19:24:33 »

Thanks for posting this, birm, I found it most interesting.  I note that railway staff are encouraged to treat passengers as human beings, which of course is excellent advice and nearly always happens in my experience.  However, having watched the way some passengers treat staff on the recent BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) documentary, there should be large print posters telling reminding the public the same thing about the way they speak to reps of the train companies, even if they are under stress because the whole service has gone pear shaped.

(Reminder: I'm not, and never have been, a railway worker)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 19:50:45 »

I love the bit about EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) presenting on staff involvement and training. They ought to practice what they preach.

Anyone who follows the travails of RailUK Forums member RJ (and others) would know how woeful the training is in their Revenue Protection department. From the frontline, right up to the Prosecutions Manager. Their policies appear to be, 'shoot first, ask questions later', and 'guilty until proved innocent'.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 22:24:53 »

Grahame - point taken and happy to oblige!

Much appreciated, thanks!

This "joined up thinking" - a single national database for each dataset, and links between datasets, could do so much for us.  By "Prediction Engine" do you mean the system that guesses how long your delay will be?   Does this coming together mean that the cancellations and late change system will be linked to the timetable and schedule system, so that the ticket booking systems won't offer you timings on trains that have already been cancelled?

the use of plain English rather than 'railway speak'.

From a purely personal viewpoint, I hope that doesn't mean dumbing down - I was rather sad to see our local CIS (Customer Information System) screen that gave all sorts of intermediate points when first installed drop back to "between X and Y" where X and Y are stations.  Perhaps better for the occasional traveller ... not so useful for the regular.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 18:37:13 »

Among the international presentations was one by Deutsche Bahn on an integrated Android App which is being rolled out in Germany to provide real-time information to both staff and passengers. Interestingly a key challenge has been to find developers with the requisite HTML5 and Android app skills!
It isn't just the railways having the programming problem.  My industry, biology research, is producing vast quantities of data at the moment, but we are lacking people with the skills suitable to process and analyse it.  The whole problem of my generation being taught how to make text bold in Microsoft Word, rather than being taught proper computer science has probably added to this considerably.  I can only hope that I am in quite a good position at the moment.

Anyone who follows the travails of RailUK Forums member RJ (and others) would know how woeful the training is in their Revenue Protection department. From the frontline, right up to the Prosecutions Manager. Their policies appear to be, 'shoot first, ask questions later', and 'guilty until proved innocent'.
Having read about RJ's experiences, I made sure to have my ticket endorsed at Waterloo yesterday prior to making my onward journey with EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about), having been delayed considerably at Wimbledon on my way to London.  I still got some questions asked and the train manager didn't seem particular convinced with my "excuse", as he put it.  Also didn't seem happy with me using a railcard on a ^9.25 ticket before 10am.  Quickly put him right with that one.
birm2lond

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 16:35:53 »

Apologies once more for not picking up on the points raised until now. As far as I understand it, the Darwin Prediction Engine bases its delay estimations on real-time running information from around the system plus input from TOC (Train Operating Company) controls. Its key advantage is that it is ONE engine rather than having the current 17 trying to interface with each other... The implementation on the Chiltern App for Marylebone arrivals and departures does show some of the benefits already (as do the CIS (Customer Information System) monitor screens at Birmingham International.

As to interfacing with TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) / web sites etc, this was seen as desirable but not yet achievable.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 17:59:08 »

Re using Plain Englisgh - I've been involved with ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) on pax research on this - we were referencing things like 'vestibule', 'disembarking (from) the train', that sort of thing.

doorway & leaving the train were the agreed corrections - but there were many others!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 18:08:49 »

I hope they dealt satisfactorily with the annoying 'arriving into' and 'final destination'...   Roll Eyes

Paul
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:17:34 »

Plain Englisgh

*snort*

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 10:14:41 »

I hope they dealt satisfactorily with the annoying 'arriving into' and 'final destination'...   Roll Eyes

Yep, those were two more....arrivating at....no final!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: