Train RunningShort Run
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 00:38:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[230] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[109] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[71] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[41] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[37] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[30] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for later services on the Cotswolds Line  (Read 24490 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2011, 12:38:06 »

That's a terrific idea and worth the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) and the Customer Panel putting to FGW (First Great Western), I'd have thought. (Saturday, too, would be good, engineering possessions permitting.)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 12:42:07 »

You could choose either the 22:49 from Paddington going on from Oxford at 23:55, Hanborough at 00:04 and Charlbury 00:12 (return ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) at 00:15 to clear the branch and allow Ascott signalbox to close at 00:30ish).

Or the 23:20 going on from Oxford at 00:30 calling at Hanborough 00:38 and Charlbury 00:46 (return ECS at 00:50 to clear the branch and allow Ascott signalbox to close around 01:15).

I'd pick the latter - as getting to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) for the former at 2249 would be very tight, whether you are at the theatre or a concert. They rarely finish before 2230....
willc

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 00:24:56 »

I really can't see a 23.20 departure from London being feasible. The occasional theatre-going habits of people living 70-odd miles from London are not going to cut much ice with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and for doing almost anything else in London a 22.49 departure is plenty late enough - and round about the time I think most people have in mind when they say a later Cotswold Line train should run.

Any later train would not just be about getting back from London, it would be just as much, if not more so, about getting back from Oxford - indeed the numbers joining there would arguably make or break the notion.

While it is possible at present to make the 22.52 Cotswold Line departure after a show or play in Oxford ending at 10.30pm-ish by making a swift exit and heading straight to the station, a 23.52 from Oxford (22.49 from Paddington) would offer the chance for a post-show drink before heading home and an hour seems like a reasonable allowance for that, but ask people to wait 90 minutes, past midnight, and I suspect the last S3 bus or a taxi would win the argument most times, especially when you get dropped rather nearer your front door than Charlbury station.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 12:28:57 »

The thread about late-night services from Paddington to Henley reminded me of this thread.

Now that the redoubling has settled down, it seems to me that II's suggestion would be a good speculative extension for FGW (First Great Western) (or the new franchisee) to consider - i.e. extending the 22.48 Paddington-Oxford to Hanborough and Charlbury - like the 07.15 in reverse. It currently arrives at Oxford at 23.56, just as the last up train off the Cotswold Line is passing Wolvercote.

I'm pretty sure it would be a popular service. But the good people of this board will know much more than me about the practicalities of it. Would extending Ascott signal-box's hours be a blocker? Or would the need to find a guard for a service that may have worked DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) from Paddington kill it? Any enlightenment welcome.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 13:07:54 by Richard Fairhurst » Logged
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 13:12:14 »

I'm pretty sure it would be a popular service. But the good people of this board will know much more than me about the practicalities of it. Would extending Ascott signal-box's hours be a blocker? Or would the need to find a guard for a service that may have worked DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) from Paddington kill it? Any enlightenment welcome.

It might extend their hours slightly, and sourcing a guard would be a little awkward as whether it was a Reading or Worcester based guard they would miss the last train home, unless the Turbo then went ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) from Charlbury to Reading in which case they could travel on it?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2012, 13:49:14 »

Interesting. There's an 00.27 stopper from Oxford to Paddington. A 23.58 from Oxford to Charlbury, returning ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to Oxford, could get back in time for that (maybe give or take retiming it a couple of minutes later) and take the guard back to Reading...
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 14:24:24 »

As the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) rep for Hanborough this is a common theme I receive comments on. Any number of Hanborough rail users complain that when visiting London for a show they can only get back to Oxford by train and have to get a taxi back from Oxford to Hanborough. Alternatively, people drive from Hanborough into Oxford to start their outward journey to London so that when returning to Oxford they can drive straight home. Other drive to Thornhill Park & Ride so that the TOC (Train Operating Company) gets no fare revenue but instead Oxford Bus or Stagecoach get the fare income thus making their late night coach services more financially viable. The coach journey takes twice as long as the train but at weekends people are prepared to accept a longer journey time by coach.
What I do wonder is how many people actually make this journey to make running a train back to Charlbury viable financially. The people I have spoken to on this matter only make this journey occasionally.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 15:36:40 »

Realistically, it would only be warranted on Fridays / Saturdays, I reckon.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 16:07:24 »

Andrew - have dropped you a line by e-mail!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2015, 16:29:03 »

Is the Cotswold Line now open 24/7? (Subject to weekend engineering, of course.)

RealTimeTrains is showing a "runs as required" overnight freight. I'm hopeful that there might be other calls on the signalmen at late hours too. Wink
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 16:58:37 »

There's been a few extra services recently, usually ballast trains and the like with their forgiving loading gauge.  I'm guessing they're services that would normally be routed via the Harbury Tunnel line and so will soon cease.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2015, 12:32:36 »

I wonder who pays for the costs of keeping the Cotswold Line open over night for a few freight trains. Presumably NR» (Network Rail - home page) does but does not charge the extra costs to the freight operators as the only need has arisen because of the unavailability of the usual line at Harbury. Looking back over this thread Richard F ssuggests CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) ask for some form of late evening service. This has been raised on several occasions with FGW (First Great Western) but the usual response is that the line closes at midnight and it would not be economic to extend the line opening time for a service with likely limited use.

60 years ago I lived in Somerset (Bridgwater) and we often had trips to London on a Saturday, sightseeing by day and a theatre visit at night. We used to catch the 23.50 newspaper train back home, arriving around 04.15. This train was a single train weekdays but on Saturdays there was so much demand that a relief train operated at midnight missing out a number of stops made by the regular and overtaking the regular at Reading. This special terminated at Bristol. Both trains were well used with standing on both to as far as Reading or Didcot and lots getting off at Didcot for a 01.00 connection (or thereabouts) to Oxford.With Paddington so far out from the west end theatrical area, you could not rely on getting back to Paddington until about 23.30 after a 22.30 or 22.45 show finish. On at least one occasion I recall getting back just in time to see the 23.50 departing. However the platform staff told us to get on the midnight relief, get off at Bristol and board the 23.50 that was then running about 10 minutes behind the special having been overtaken at Reading. Of course traffic modes have changed enormously in the last 50-60 years with cars and coaches speeding up and down the M5 and M4 taking most of the original rail traffic and I wonder whether how many people would actually now use a late evening Cotswold Line train from Paddington.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2015, 13:39:59 »

I wonder whether how many people would actually now use a late evening Cotswold Line train from Paddington.

If they ran one as a trial we would find out!

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2015, 12:04:07 »

"If they ran one as a trial we would find out!"
That is the difference between FGW (First Great Western) and Chiltern. Chiltern is prepared to try out services but FGW usually wants a guaranteed subsidy to avoid it possibly making a loss on such experimental services so niothing happens.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2015, 13:53:08 »

I wouldn't be quite so sure. Perhaps the imminent arrival of Oxford Parkway, and services like this one, will focus minds a little on the prospects for the Cotswold Line... Wink
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 13:58:45 by Richard Fairhurst » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: