15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
16:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
14:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
14:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:48 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 16:16:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[197] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[99] June to December 2024 Timetables
[71] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[49] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of imagination on Cotswold line  (Read 27066 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 14:22:17 »

As far as bikes are concerned, a message on the PIS (Passenger Information System) and perhaps an announcement before the train arrived (have FGW (First Great Western) installed auto PAs (Public Address) at the village stations?). Of course, it is different depending on the stock (Thames Turbo, 180 or HST (High Speed Train)).
I think there's already the option of a stock-specific announcement for HSTs indicating the location of First Class (and, of course, the screens know what type of stock it is because they say "Formed of 3 coaches" or some such... though splits at Oxford tend to confuse it Wink ).

It shouldn't be too hard to record a slightly longer announcement. So, at Charlbury platform 2, add "Passengers with bicycles should load them by the footbridge."

Agreed with II that the signs are only obvious if you're in the right place to begin with. At Berwick on Saturday I noticed that East Coast have a large "how to travel with your bike" poster as soon as you enter the station.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2012, 13:19:36 »

An example of some of the slack in the schedules.  This train, a peak hour service, left Great Malvern 27 minutes late this morning.  It has little or no time booked in stations, but still managed to get to Paddington only 5 minutes late.  Twenty minutes was recovered after Charlbury!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 14:05:55 »

An example of some of the slack in the schedules.  This train, a peak hour service, left Great Malvern 27 minutes late this morning.  It has little or no time booked in stations, but still managed to get to Paddington only 5 minutes late.  Twenty minutes was recovered after Charlbury!

There's an irony here. That's a good recovery from a schedule which is receiving some criticism for being too slack.   And that may well be justified in the case of the Cotswold line;  I'm not qualified to comment.

But I am aware of a local willingness on another line - the TransWilts here in Wiltshire - for potential passengers to have a service that includes a generous margin for recovering from earlier delays, with the margin inserted within the centre section of the line which has virtually no passenger trains at present.   Five extra minutes on the approach to Chippenham (Northbound) and five extra minutes before Trowbridge (Southbound) would be reasonable.

Why?   Because an allowance such as this would mitigate the possible effects of delays on the Portsmouth to Cardiff main line being transformed into delays on the Paddington to Bristol line.  We really don't want a TransWilts service that's more reasonable than the current one to cause delays elsewhere, especially bearing in mind the cost of delaying an HST (High Speed Train).   And we would rather go for reliability and a good frequency than a service that's a few minutes faster, but only runs at rather silly times before dawn and mid-evening.

Our view may come to change further down our growth curve, when we get to the point of a similar scheme to the Cotswolds redoubling on the single line section of the TransWilts.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 15:37:00 »

Interesting that the train made it from Worcester to London in exactly 2 hours. Shocked

All day every day please!! Grin

(Ok, I'll settle for 10 minutes slack...)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 20:39:32 »

Are you feeling quite right, old boy?  Btline apparently accepting the need for slack in a timetable?  Whatever next??  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2012, 16:57:12 »

It tends to confirm thinking that there is slack. However the quoted recovery time of over 20 minutes took place off the CL indicating that the CL timings for this train are not excessive. Whilst this schedule shows a 15 minute journey time from Hanborough to Oxford (07.37 to 06.52) plus 4 minute dwell at Oxford, this is sometimes needed because of a south bound Cross-Country train using Wolvercote junction close to a CL train timing. However I think that in this case, the previous south bound train to this departs Oxford 20 minutes earlier at 06.36, so the question is why does it need 15 minutes when at a push it can be done in around 8. In some cases extra time between Charlbury could be justified if there is a Down train using the single track just before the 06.28 Charlbury departure but it seems there are no Down trains using the single track at this time of day. It looks from this schedule that similar generous timings were presumably lengthened several years ago when the single track increased the likelihood of delays to CL trains. FGW (First Great Western) might well say that increased congestion south of Oxford has still increased the need for more generous timings. Of course the real reason might be that TOCs (Train Operating Company) get punished financially for trains being late.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2012, 22:51:06 »

Hopefully once Crossrail, Reading, electrification and IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) are done the whole timetable can be rewritten. I'd expect ~10 minutes to come off London to Oxford at a shot. Reducing unnecessary slack could mean a near 2 hour journey time is possible or at least for a peak train each way.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 02:03:24 »

It tends to confirm thinking that there is slack. However the quoted recovery time of over 20 minutes took place off the CL indicating that the CL timings for this train are not excessive.

True enough, the redoubling should (or could in most cases if the timetable was recast) remove the need for excessive timings - which after all is mostly between Hanborough and Oxford on this particular train as you've identified.  1h 03m from Oxford to Paddington with stops at Didcot & Reading is a little excessive but you'd probably not want to trim more than 5 minutes off of that.

No shortage of trains with slack actually on the Cotswold Line though - one example, Saturday's 18:35 GMV to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) (which is one of the few Saturday trains that would make an ideal Adelante working - if they're being allowed out a weekends?).  It sits at WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) for 12 minutes, EVE for 10 minutes, before having 9 minutes wait at OXF» (Oxford - next trains) - so potentially it could be 30 minutes quicker just by cutting out station dwell time.  That is by no means the only example.

Let's hope things improve soon!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2012, 17:05:55 »

I understand that the Adelantes, when introduced, will normally only operate Monday to Friday services. It will be back to Tubos at weekends for most off-peak services. Presumably with only 5 Adelantes available, routine maintenance on them will be done at weekends.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 18:27:50 »

It's a bit of a shame that the extra comfort can't be enjoyed by passengers at weekends, but I thought that might be the case, and I suppose it's a bit of a trade off.  The majority of the Turbo operated services on Saturday and Sunday are now too full (between Paddington and Oxford) to be an Adelante and operate as 5 or 6-car formation on that busiest stretch. 

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 18:37:09 »

And much though I like the Adelantes, Turbos are much, much easier to load a bike onto, so personally I'll be glad to keep them at weekends!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 21:28:18 »

HSTs (High Speed Train) should be used instead. There should be enough available on a Sunday instead of bleeding the Cotswold line dry as usual.

I've been on Turbos bursting at the seams - they seem to forget that Sunday is a busy day for rail travel. Instead passengers, often with luggage, have to put up with sardine like conditions, with no air conditioning as the train crawls down the line.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: