Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 07:30:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[153] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[36] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomorrow ... 6 Jan 10  (Read 5184 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 05, 2010, 18:48:22 »

Westbury and Melksham to Swindon services

Train services on this route will be suspended in both directions.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 18:49:26 »

Because..... ?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 18:56:08 »

Presumably prioritising crews on more popular services.

Severn Beach also apparently cancelled.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 19:53:33 »

Keep up at the back

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5938.60;topicseen

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:00:28 »

Because..... ?

There's about an inch and a half (4 cm / half a finger length) of snow on the ground this morning. I drove in to work as I may need the car today ... not a problem at all. For the TransWilts at least, it's the old story of "a dusting of snow and there's travel chaos".  The 05:19 Gloucester to Southampton has been rescheduled to terminate at Swindon, at 06:06, and doesn't even show up as a service alteration.

We have a guest scheduled to leave on the 06:40, which is a continuation of this train. A phone call to FGW (First Great Western) last night to ask if there were alternative arrangements (the web site listed alternatives for most other lines, after all) told me that there were none that they knew of, that it was definite that the train would not run, and that they would be re-opening for phone calls again at 7 a.m. - we should call in again shortly thereafter.  And it really gives you confidence when the folks say "can you spell that" when you ask about Melksham.  I expect I'll be giving the guest a lift to Trowbridge or Westbury; taxis probably will be busy as the pavements are slippy.

I appreciate this may not be the general picture and there may be far bigger problems elsewhere, so I'm limiting the details to the TransWilts thread rather than the more global "across the West" one.  But from here it looks rather like 'overreaction, big time'.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 06:58:00 »

Agreed. What I was trying to highlight really was that they suspended the service because of a PREDICTION of snow, not as a reaction to what was actually happening. Shockingly bad form not to provide an alternative. MPs (Member of Parliament) need to be made aware.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:18:00 »

In case you are wondering, I am said guest. Original plan was to check out the early morning TransWilts southbound, then do some research on morning peak Westbury-Bristol corridor services...clearly not.

Had some fun on the Stroud Valley line yesterday. A fair bit of snow, but everything pretty much working nonetheless. Stonehouse is probably best described as "white minimalist" in this kind of weather, but Stroud looked pretty, especially with the old goods shed.

Ironically, I will be attempting Brucey's journey in reverse later. By the look of reports from him and my missus, I appear to have been better off here than there...

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 18:32:21 »

17:02 Worcester Foregate Street to Southampton Central due 20:48
This train will be terminated at Swindon and restarted from Westbury at 19:40. It will no longer call at: Chippenham, Melksham and Trowbridge. This is due to poor weather conditions.
Message Received :06/01/2010 16:27

19:32 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa due 21:29
This train will be started from Swindon. It will no longer call at: Westbury, Trowbridge, Melksham and Chippenham. This is due to poor weather conditions.
Message Received :06/01/2010 16:13

I have been out and about today ... and I don't think the weather here has been worse than elsewhere.  I went down to Melksham station and even the track fittings could be seen - the snow was THAT thin.  Is there something technical about the Severn Beach and TransWilts lines that makes them more vulnerable than others - or are they vulnerable because none of the FGW (First Great Western) managers live on them  Wink Cheesy Grin

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 18:55:31 »

Graham, see my post in the snow thread in Across The West, should help explain it better.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 19:02:57 »

Graham, see my post in the snow thread in Across The West, should help explain it better.

That's also the most feasible explanation yet ... and I suspect also explains the lack of Warminster terminators today.  Severn beach, hourly, tomorrow - all from one platform at Clifton Down?

And I note "Swindon to Melksham" not running .... so wonder if the problem will be down to Thingley only, and we'll have a train coming up empty from Westbury, to form the 06:40 to Southampton ...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 17:59:47 »

Amended at 06:40 this morning (Thursday) to read

Swindon to Westbury  via Melksham - Services between Swindon and Westbury  will not operate

and indeed this morning's services were cancelled.

And ... just checked again ... same message for tomorrow.   And yet   Live departures for Swindon shows a 17:30 from Westbury calling at Trowbridge (17:41), Chippenham (17:52) and arriving Swindon 18:15.   Return service 18:35 from Swindon, 18:47 (Chippenham), 19:00 (Trowbridge) and 19:25 (Westbury). I'm ... err ... scratching my head on this one!

John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 19:24:32 »

Just a thought, but maybe the evening services were reinstated to provide extra services to Chippenham tonight given there are no trains running through to Bristol from Swindon.

Edit note: With apologies for editing this post, and just to put this into context, here is a link to a new topic which I have set up, giving the reason for the lack of through trains between Swindon and Bristol.  Chris.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 22:14:21 by chris from nailsea » Logged
Sion Bretton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 20:25:22 »

looks like Melksham is having an extra service at 22:05 to Westbury.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 22:01:53 »

You could have a very good service for the next 24 hours, with the line closed between Bath and Bristol. Normal service was already planned to resume tomorrow.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: