21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
20:24 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
20:24 Exmouth to Cardiff Central
20:48 London Paddington to Swansea
21:48 London Paddington to Swansea
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
22:49 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 21:40:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: serious saftey issue- who best to contact please.  (Read 12448 times)
hornbeam

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2011, 14:21:03 »

Ok, I don^t think it^s right to go into details on here as this is pretty serious and not the place to do it. There was a very serious safety breach on the service I was on last night caused by the driver. I reported this to a member of staff at Reading. Now for peace of Mind I^d like to follow this up in an e-mail. Is it best just to use the form on the FGW (First Great Western) website?

Simon.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 14:53:18 »

If it was serious, I'd suggest you phone FGW (First Great Western) Customer Services rather than email them.  That way you'll get an immediate response and can act on it if you're not satisfied.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 17:00:28 »

Serious Breach of Safety caused by......should only be used if you are in full possession of all the facts...... any safety of the line incidents would  have been reported to and picked up by the controlling signaller and dealt with through laid down procedures and thus i think the moderators should consider locking this thread

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 17:46:13 »

Considered ... and thanks for the suggestion to do so. 

I'm going to suggest that - at this stage it would be much wiser to say that it appeared that there was a very serious safety breach, and it appeared to be caused by the driver.  We've only got to look back a very few days to see a dreadful road accident where some assumptions of cause / responsibility were made before all the facts were known.   So - please - don't further analyse and lay blame in this thread.  Hornbeam may wish to edit his post?

However, I am not locking the thread.  When anyone sees something that they have reasonably believe to be a serious safety issue, they should know how and where to report it, and to check up that the report hasn't gone up a blind alley - and I'm not going to do anything to this thread that would stop it being used to inform people on how to report and check on follow ups.  And I'm not sure that it was a safety of the line issue, so I'm not sure that it would have been picked up - in a perfect system, yes, but then in a perfect system there aren't things that look like safety breaches ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 17:50:01 »

I'm trying to take as balanced a view on this as possible - although I did initially consider locking the thread, on reflection I'm inclined to leave it open but keep a close watch on it. Why...? Several reasons:

1. The OP (Original Poster / topic starter) has not posted any information that could identify the service involved, not specified what the problem was, for which I thank him.

2. Assuming that this was a breach worthy of investigation, no doubt an investigation will occur and the facts be established if necessary. It's entirely possible that this is already in hand, but I would have no issue with a member of the public wanting to follow up on a verbal report to ensure that it was being acted upon.

3. You don't necessarily need to be a member of railway staff to identify a serious safety breach; admittedly to the uninitiated some pretty minor issues may look bad/serious when they're not. However, it is equally possible that there was a relatively serious irregularity in which case there's nothing wrong with asking for the appropriate channels through which to report it in a forum such as this. I would encourage any passenger who feels they have a genuine safety concern to raise it through the appropriate channels, rather than being scared into silence because "they may not know what they are talking about".

4. Put yourself in the following situation: you're not an aero engineer, but you're sitting on an aircraft and notice chunks of an engine falling off in flight. Do you sit tight and say nothing because "the full facts have not been established" or do you ask the cabin crew to pass a message to the captain that there are pieces dropping off the engine? Not sure about anyone else but my inclination would be to take the latter course.

So, I'm leaving the thread open for now; it's possible my fellow moderators may disagree with my judgement in which case this may change. However, I am going to ask anyone following up on these posts to tread very carefully and bear in mind that we're closely monitoring what is posted here.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 17:50:29 »

Ooops, sorry, post crossed with grahame's.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 19:23:10 »

Ooops, sorry, post crossed with grahame's.

Looks like we're in agreement  Grin

[Note to all - we usually are!]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 23:03:09 »

Thanks Mods; I agree it is a perfectly reasonable question, and one that deserves to be answered before someone is put in the heart-rending position of watching something nasty happen because they lacked the means of communicating a danger message in time.

Do emergence "999" call centres have any capability of connecting you with the appropriate means of stopping a train in an emergency?
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 01:36:27 »

Thanks Mods; I agree it is a perfectly reasonable question, and one that deserves to be answered before someone is put in the heart-rending position of watching something nasty happen because they lacked the means of communicating a danger message in time.

Do emergence "999" call centres have any capability of connecting you with the appropriate means of stopping a train in an emergency?

The appropriate means of stopping a train in an emergency is to use the Pass Comm (emergency alarm), on most trains this will apply the brakes immediately though on some more modern trains the driver can overrule temporarily if they feel the train is in an inappropriate place, such as a tunnel, viaduct or cutting. This is why passengers are inundated with announcements to look over safety instructions (though I am of the impression that many travel with a one size fits all mentality assuming procedures are the same on every type of rolling stock!).
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 08:26:21 »

That is difficult, if you make 999 call from a moving train you the caller may not even know where you are and the call will go to the local 999 operator however the Railway Signal, Electrical or Traffic Control Center can be tens and even hundreds of miles away.  On the internal Railway telephone network users its own emergency dial code which goes to the Railway exchange operator who has the details for direct contact with the blue light services for the area where the emergency is, also internally Railway staff can contact signalers, electrical control rooms to make emergency calls where immediate action can be taken to stop trains turn traction current off and co-ordinate the blue light services as these railway centres have details of access points and can call out mobile operations  and maintenance teams.

Generally should a member of the public become aware of a safety issue they should contact a member of staff, even contractors are briefed on railway safety reporting

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 12:22:35 »

Yes I'd agree with the above answers.
Although the initial post was related, it seems, to someone on a train, my enquiry about emergency calls was from the point of view of someone on the lineside (e.g. spotting a landslip, objects placed on line etc.). For bridge damage, it is rather more obvious as NR» (Network Rail - home page) provide emergency number and location details on handy signs.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 14:53:34 »

You could report the incident to the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) (Health and Safety Executive)...?

But my advice would be only do so if you think FGW (First Great Western) aren't taking your "complaint" seriously, or as grahame suggested "gone up a blind alley"

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 16:21:40 »

But HSE (Health and Safety Executive) are not the Safety for Railways any more it is ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) isn't it?
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 14:00:08 »

Network Rail's website provides an emergency number, as well as BTPolice number.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/1346.aspx
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 14:08:24 »

Sorry if I^ve caused any issues posting that question.

In hindsight the passenger alarm would have been a good idea, but as we were so close to the destination and said issue couldn^t happen again before the destination ( and there was no way I^d be able to get to the alarm as the train was packed) I decided to report it at the station. I also called FGW (First Great Western), and I have to say how impressed I was with the person I called. There was no log made of when I reported the issue at the station, but that^s not to say it wasn^t dealt with. I still feel it^s best not to go into details, but I can assure you all I^m not using this forum as publicity or for scare mongering, I generally didn^t know how to best to report the issue.

Thank you,

Simon.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: