Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
19:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
19:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:55 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
17:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
20:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 18:52:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[210] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[77] June to December 2024 Timetables
[55] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[49] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[46] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[38] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW and XC stopping patterns at Tiverton Parkway and Totnes  (Read 8924 times)
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2008, 19:20:47 »

Hi, is there the demand to stop almost every CrossCountry and First Great Western service at Tiverton Parkway and Totnes?  I know the stations are well used at times but both stations are only 15 minutes away from others and stopping there adds time to a long journey like Penzance to Paddington or Edinburgh.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 19:23:55 »

I always find that loads of people leave XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) at Tivvy! I'm always impressed by loadings!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 19:51:19 »

seems that passengers who pre book tickets and have connecting trains to catch always seem to have tivvy thrown up as the place to change instead of Taunton or Exeter,

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 20:15:43 »

When it has virtually no station facilities??  Huh
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 20:19:23 »

For some people, not having to change platforms is a definite plus.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 21:30:02 »

Most of the time though if both trains are going to stop at Tiverton Parkway then it would be the same platfom at Taunton or even Exeter unless the train was terminating there.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:29:48 »

seems that passengers who pre book tickets and have connecting trains to catch always seem to have tivvy thrown up as the place to change instead of Taunton or Exeter,

I agree but:

When it has virtually no station facilities??  Huh

If Tiverton Parkway is going to be given as an interchange station then I agree with devon-metro it ought to have more facilities. Canopies, Platform reshfreshment facilities and loos.  But the "bean counters" wouldn't  pay out to provide such facilities. Tiverton Parkway was built to the minimum standards to allow you catch a train from a platform. Its two up on many places on the continent and US where you might have to  cross the tracks to catch the train from the ground level or a very low platform.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 11:43:37 »

With the exception of Summer Saturdays, as far as I know every XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train stops at Tiverton Parkway.

However, there are 2 periods during the day when FGW (First Great Western) trains do not stop there for 2 hours. (Either the EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)-TAU» (Taunton - next trains)-RDG(resolve)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) or EXD-RDG-PAD services.)

TVP as small as it is, is a far more convenient option for passengers on/near the M5 then Exeter or Taunton, hence the reason during sea-wall disruption you will find that rail replacement buses will run Newton Abbot-->TVP rather than trying to flog through the traffic into Exeter.

With the accelleration on the Voyagers what it is, I also don't believe you are being inconvenienced journey-time wise by stopping at TVP by more than a couple of minutes.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 18:20:23 »

TVP as small as it is, is a far more convenient option for passengers on/near the M5 then Exeter or Taunton, hence the reason during sea-wall disruption you will find that rail replacement buses will run Newton Abbot-->TVP rather than trying to flog through the traffic into Exeter.
The last time I had to get the bus they were running fast buses from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) to EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains), all stations buses from NTA to EXD and fast buses from PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) to TVP.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 19:09:54 »

Only Exeter/Plymouth/Torbay HSTs (High Speed Train)/Vomiters should stop (for journey times).

Although as said above, it affects Vomiters less.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 19:50:39 »

Yes, the Paddington to Plymouth trains should stop there but it's a long journey from Paddington to Penznace and so Penzance trains could do without the Tiverton Parkway and Totnes stops.  The Cornish Riviera at one time even used to run PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) - PLY» (Plymouth - next trains).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 19:52:58 by Zoe » Logged
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 22:55:18 »

The last time I had to get the bus they were running fast buses from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) to EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains), all stations buses from NTA to EXD and fast buses from PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) to TVP.

Before my time I must admit, I just thought that's what happened.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 08:02:32 »

Hi, is there the demand to stop almost every CrossCountry and First Great Western service at Tiverton Parkway and Totnes?  I know the stations are well used at times but both stations are only 15 minutes away from others and stopping there adds time to a long journey like Penzance to Paddington or Edinburgh.

Speaking as a Tiverton Parkway User

1.  Yes. 

I don't believe the travelling public are too bothered about journey times over that sort of distance, punctuality is the key however many stops there are.

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 08:50:39 »

Perhaps it makes sound operating sense to stop HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) services at 'intermediate' stations because it precludes the need for a semi fast services to follow in the wake of faster trains. (In order to link such hotspots as Taunton or Exeter with TVP, or NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) and Plymouth with Totnes).  Direct HS services are also good selling point for local business and add much to the perceived prestige of a town. 

That said, in the case of Tivvy and its hinterland, there is a population of almost 70,000 to serve, so I would agree that it is both a good candidate for HS services and its current facilities worthy of an upgrade. Totnes too, is an important local railhead which also attracts passengers from the nether end of Torbay, who find it preferable to drive from the coast and leave cars in Totnes, rather than rely on the bus and somewhat patchy train service via NTA.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 17:56:28 »

Strikes me that ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)/National Rail do something crafty about changing trains when both services call at more than one station, take passengers from Cornwall changing onto a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service from Plymouth to the North seems that Passengers from Penzance get told to change at Newton Abbot, whilst passengers from St Erth, Hayle, Camborne & Redruth get to change at Exeter St D, from Truro and St Austell the change might be at Plymouth, from Par, Lostwithiel, Bomin Parkway change at Tiverton Parkway whilst Liskeard Passengers and passengers from branch lines change at Taunton.

It seems odd but It does spread out the crowds changing from One train to another. Me if I'm on a Vomet Comet I change ASAP, or If changing onto a Vomet comet ALAP.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: