Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Short Run
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
14:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
16:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
14:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
14:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:48 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 16:14:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[197] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[99] June to December 2024 Timetables
[71] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[49] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180 Adelantes - discussions, including their return to FGW  (Read 209723 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2010, 17:20:14 »

When the origional rumour of 165's going west was mooted, FGW (First Great Western) were planning to refurb them with 2+2 seating for CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-PMH, and yes all the FGW 16x units are 90MPH.

Wasn't it planned to send some class 165/166's to the Bristol area when they were displaced by the new EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'S on crossrail?

Finally if FGW have enough class 180's, if they do receive the ones from Northern is it possible to run some services as 10 carriages i.e. 2X class 180's between Oxford & London? i am sure i have seen some photos somewhere of this happening.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2010, 17:45:57 »

10-car Adelantes certainly did happen - I travelled on a few. Not just on Oxford services but also on Bristol services and probably elsewhere as well. I think some ran 10-car to Oxford then split, with the front 5 going on to the Cotswold Line and the rear 5 returning to the yard before forming a service back to London.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2010, 17:52:04 »

0710 Oxford - Paddington used to be 10 car 180 afaik.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2010, 18:06:27 »

I think some ran 10-car to Oxford then split, with the front 5 going on to the Cotswold Line and the rear 5 returning to the yard before forming a service back to London.

I don't think that ever happened, not with all 10-cars in service at least - but 10-car formations were used on a regular commuter service pretty much until the end of their tenure with FGW (First Great Western) as devon_metro says.  That involved the trains first 6 carriages being opened with the SDO (Selective Door Opening) switch at Cholsey, Goring etc.  Also, a few years previously a 10-car used to work a peak time Paddington to Bristol service (17:15 I think) and the odd service over the weekend.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
willc

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2010, 00:39:38 »

I think some ran 10-car to Oxford then split, with the front 5 going on to the Cotswold Line and the rear 5 returning to the yard before forming a service back to London.

Agree with Insider this didn't happen on Cotswold services. What certainly did happen was that the pair of 180s which worked the 07.10 would then return empty stock to Oxford before being split in the sidings to work separately for the rest of the day.

When the origional rumour of 165's going west was mooted, FGW (First Great Western) were planning to refurb them with 2+2 seating for CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-PMH

But a recent Modern Railways article about the Turbo refresh said that when FGW and Angel Trains looked at fitting 2+2 seats when planning the refresh work, they realised that there were two big problems:
a. The coolant header tank is under one of the three-seat benches and is as wide as the seats and would have to be replaced or modified if 2+2 seats were fitted.
b. The different weight distribution, due partly to the extra space in the aisles, would have an impact on braking performance when a train was crush loaded, which would mean modifications to the brakes.
Can't see them rushing to do any of that on just a handful of Turbos.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2010, 02:07:15 »

I don't think that ever happened, not with all 10-cars in service at least - but 10-car formations were used on a regular commuter service pretty much until the end of their tenure with FGW (First Great Western) as devon_metro says.  That involved the trains first 6 carriages being opened with the SDO (Selective Door Opening) switch at Cholsey, Goring etc.  Also, a few years previously a 10-car used to work a peak time Paddington to Bristol service (17:15 I think) and the odd service over the weekend.

Could well be my memory playing tricks. Although I'm sure I remember watching staff at Oxford station make a complete hash of either coupling or splitting a 10-car Adelante very early one Saturday morning just after the December 2004 FGWL timetable came into effect (which was when the 180s and HSTs (High Speed Train) were introduced in significant numbers on the Oxford - Paddington service).
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2010, 07:01:00 »

Could well be my memory playing tricks.

I certainly remember 10-car formations on the Bristol route. And there was one occassion when a pair worked from Shrub Hill through to Paddington. One was so late that they ran the two together, albeit (as per II's memory) with only one of them in passenger use.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:52 »

Right......

Firstly, 165/166 Turbos are unable to travel west of Bedwyn owing to the lack of NRN (National Radio Network) - National Radio Network - they have no in-cab radios.
The forthcoming GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) network that Chiltern are currently fitting to their turbos would sort that problem - but there's currently no plans to fit it to FGW (First Great Western) turbos.

So, there's zero substance in anyone saying that FGW turbos are going west. Or that route clearance is the obstacle. Total crap.

FGW haven't considered changing turbo seating to 2+2 for a long time. So that's scotched that rumour too.

Absolutely NO decision yet taken on the 180s - discussions are taking place with interested parties. Funding needs to be found. All unfounded rumour, so far. As is any 158s going to EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about).

Hope this helps. All info gleaned from Directors at FGW.
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2010, 09:37:45 »

Where's the money to refurbish coming from?.....

If FGW (First Great Western) take them, they'll be as is, I reckon.

The FC(resolve) section wasn't in a brillant condition when the 3 arrived at Northern and it's been allowed to detirate further and that's been helped by Northern using it as standard class so everyone on Northern services wants to sit in carriage D if seats are available there.  If carriage D is returned to FC it will need at least replacement seat covers and faulty lights being replaced, otherwise there will be objections from people holding FC tickets.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2010, 09:39:00 »

THanks for that info - I'm sure FGW (First Great Western) are aware - even more money to be found then.
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2010, 09:43:48 »

Absolutely NO decision yet taken on the 180s - discussions are taking place with interested parties. Funding needs to be found.

I think that's the underlying reason for the rumours.  No operator who has been linked with the 180s has said they are not interested.  

Funding does need to found and whoever takes on the 180s can find some money by subleasing smaller units or returning them to the leasing company, which is where the 158 rumours could have originated from.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2010, 09:52:03 »

I think the general idea is to increase stock / seats.....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2010, 09:56:17 »

Firstly, 165/166 Turbos are unable to travel west of Bedwyn owing to the lack of NRN (National Radio Network) - National Radio Network - they have no in-cab radios.
The forthcoming GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) network that Chiltern are currently fitting to their turbos would sort that problem - but there's currently no plans to fit it to FGW (First Great Western) turbos.

Thanks, Chris.  Interesting answers - Good to hear extra capacity is being looked at.  I'm not one to argue with a directors statements, but...

1)  Turbos (using GSM-P) were allowed to go to Bristol without being fitted with NRN.  They also run under GSM-P conditions all the while over the Costwolds at the moment.
2)  GSM-R is the replacement for NRN and GSM-P.  As I understand it, all trains will be fitted with it in time - including Turbos/HST (High Speed Train)'s that FGW operate.  Though I'm not sure how far away that is from happening as the trials on the Cambrian line have hit difficulties as was recently discussed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2010, 10:07:55 »

I think the general idea is to increase stock / seats.....

I'm not doubting that but a 180 is the same sort of capacity as 2x158s, so the 5x180s replacing 4x158s rumour would be equivalent to gaining 6x158s in capacity terms but with the disadvantage of reduced flexibility as you obviously can't spilt a 180 like you can spilt a 4 car 158.

Also while operators want more stock you can't stop DfT» (Department for Transport - about) coming up with strange ideas.  Northern got more 158s with the idea of increasing capacity on Yorkshire services but DfT came up with the idea of sending the cascaded 142s to FGW (First Great Western) as well as some of the 158s that were supposed to replace them to Scotrail leaving Northern short and having to take on 180s to fill the gap.  Northern are now due to get the rest of the FGW 142s back to replace the 180s, so it'll almost leave them back where they started!
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2010, 10:10:53 »

I'm not one to argue with a directors statements.

Directors can make mistakes.  Apparently a FGW (First Great Western) director once said Pacers can't cross third rail, despite them having done so at Hunts Cross (Merseyside) and Chester for many years.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: