23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:34 Reading to Basingstoke
02/05/24 00:05 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 00:21:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Visiting the pub on the way home.  (Read 422 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 28, 2024, 11:16:24 »

I could have sworn we had a thread that mentioned going to the "Three Plovers" or "The Green Man" after work in London ... reminded here on Facebook about them.

In May 1949 British Rail was showing off its latest idea to please the public – a travelling pub.

Not a buffet car or restaurant, but a “tavern car” – a full on pub on wheels, in a mock-tudor appearance, with fake brick walls on the outside, and even a pub sign on the door.

Eight sets of two carriages were planned and each was given a traditional pub name — The White Horse, The Salutation, The Jolly Tar, The Dolphin, The Bull, The Green Man, The Crown, and Three Plovers.

Is on-train catering in a dedicated social environment something of the past, or is there scope for a return of the "Lord Nelson", "The King's Arms", "The Smoking Dog", the "Liz Truss", the "Engine and Tender" or "The Office"?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 12:38:37 »

I could certainly see a potential market for this as a new sort of rail tour attraction although the Fun Police Heath and Safety people might become somewhat exercised by this.
Visiting heritage railway special events might also prove to be a popular promotional tool.
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 13:18:06 »

I could certainly see a potential market for this as a new sort of rail tour attraction although the Fun Police Heath and Safety people might become somewhat exercised by this.
Visiting heritage railway special events might also prove to be a popular promotional tool.

I remember that back in the 1970s, when licensing laws required pubs to close in the afternoon, taking a journey on a heritage railway was a civilised way to carry on drinking through the afternoon.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 17:35:21 »

Were the tavern cars one of Bulleid's carriage designs?

Remember in the days of the old licensing laws, introduced so that production was not reduced in the world war, the afternoon closing did not apply on market day. There used to be one bus into Fakenham market in the morning and a very merry bus home in the evening. Somebody used to hire horse-drawn gypsy caravans for holidays. Apparently if you didn't make an obvious decision where to go the horse would automatically do a tour of the local market days.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 18:53:33 »

Many years ago, I walked from Ilkley to Skipton over the moor, hatless as I recall. We arrived at the station at Skipton and into a pub, it was after closing. The solution, take the drink outside and read a newspaper thus hiding it from view!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 19:56:18 »

There was a lot of criticism from architectural & art institutions about the fakeness of the interior & exterior of the tavern cars but as James Callaghan pointed out, "Nobody likes these tavern cars except for the public”.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 00:15:57 »

I remember that back in the 1970s, when licensing laws required pubs to close in the afternoon, taking a journey on a heritage railway was a civilised way to carry on drinking through the afternoon.

In Portsmouth, a common way of obtaining a drink in the afternoon was to travel to the Isle of Wight and back in order to enjoy the bar on the ferry.
In my youth the well informed drinker had to know the "permitted hours" in three different licensing districts. I lived in New Malden which was in Surrey and kept the usual hours for that county, however just up the Burlington road London began giving another 30 minutes each lunchtime, and on Monday to Thursday evenings.
It was just too far to walk in time, and waiting for a bus not worthwhile, but if a 131 bus could be seen approaching ?
Just across Kingston bridge, Middlesex began where Surrey hours applied in the winter and London hours in the summer.
If arriving at the then Railway tavern in new Malden high street a bit late for lunchtime closing, it was possible to take a train to either Raynes park (London) or to Hampton Wick (Middlesex)

O/T trivia, all day opening was introduced on August 22, to mark my birthday. It proved so successful that they carried on with it !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 09:44:23 »

The Shackerstone Railway has a MkI Griddle Car, which is excellent.  as well as griddle-cooked light meals, they serve alcoholic beverages, which is a nice bonus.  Just to sit in the vehicle is to take a journey back in time by about 60 years

I'm not sure of the routes on which these Griddle Cars would have run on the network, but they seem like a really great idea
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2024, 11:00:41 »

I see them pictured at what looks like Waterloo, and read at RMWeb

I know they were built for West of England and Bournemouth services - but what happened towards the end of their life?

When new in 1949 these sets were not confined to the Southern and were allocated to trains such as The Master Cutler and The Norfolkman to mention just two.

As a Bullied design,  and with prior knowledge of their operation from Waterloo, I started this thread in the "South Western Services" section of the forum and I would hazard a speculation that's where they spent the majority of the time they were tavern cars.  How things change ... I don't think there's any on-train catering left from Waterloo is there, and no longer any direct train beyond Exeter or Westbury either?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 12:53:05 »

The Shackerstone Railway has a MkI Griddle Car, which is excellent.  as well as griddle-cooked light meals, they serve alcoholic beverages, which is a nice bonus.  Just to sit in the vehicle is to take a journey back in time by about 60 years

I'm not sure of the routes on which these Griddle Cars would have run on the network, but they seem like a really great idea

The griddle cars were introduced on the trans-pennine DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) (class 124) between Hull and Liverpool in January 1961. Oddly, the griddle cars were built in Eastleigh, but the class 124s in Swindon. Later that  month they appeared in Scotland, on the Edinburgh-Inverness route - locomotive-hauled, I think. You could get an Angus steak sandwich for 1/9d.

The next year they appeared on other routes, often in new fast D/EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) - London-Clacton (class 309), and Waterloo-Portsmouth, and started serving at-seat through the train so dropped the dining area. On the whole the reception seems to have been favourable, though there were still complaints about non-prestige long-distance trains with no catering. That got a BR (British Rail(ways)) response containing the line "there are still more refreshment cars in Britain than in the whole of Western Europe".

The background was that restaurant cars were losing a lot of money on the traditional three-course meal served in two sittings in two classes, which were seen as expensive too. It was becoming clear that the demand was shifting to smaller, and cheaper,  meals along with some evolution of style and taste. Why did they go out of use only twenty years later?
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 14:47:54 »

The griddle cars were introduced on the trans-pennine DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) (class 124) between Hull and Liverpool in January 1961. Oddly, the griddle cars were built in Eastleigh, but the class 124s in Swindon. Later that  month they appeared in Scotland, on the Edinburgh-Inverness route - locomotive-hauled, I think. You could get an Angus steak sandwich for 1/9d.

Class 124 DMUs?  Now your talking.  What wonderful machines.  They seemed very far ahead of their time when introduced in 1960

The Class 123s were also excellent units when allowed to run on the intermediate work they were built for.  They weren't really suited to the suburban work where they ended up on the Western, prior to being shipped up north to join their half-sister class 124s. 

For a couple of summers, the Paddington and/or Oxford to Minehead Summer Saturday turns to Minehead and back were covered by Class 123s, but, by then, their buffet cars had gone.  Which would have made the three hours plus from London to West Somerset feel very dry.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2024, 22:49:56 »

For a couple of summers, the Paddington and/or Oxford to Minehead Summer Saturday turns to Minehead and back were covered by Class 123s, but, by then, their buffet cars had gone.  Which would have made the three hours plus from London to West Somerset feel very dry.

I can almost hear broadgage bemoaning this.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 12:29:38 »

OT: a thread from a Twitternaut  - a day-trip spin around some of the UK (United Kingdom), concentrating on trains with catering.

Got lucky with LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about), TfW, unlucky with Avanti West Coast.

Mark

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1785032936078835959.html
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 20:15:33 »

O/T trivia, all day opening was introduced on August 22, to mark my birthday. It proved so successful that they carried on with it !

There has to be a campaign, and / or petition, to have 22 August named forthwith as 'Broadgage Day'.   Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: