Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 04 May 2024
- 'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
- Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
4th May (1951)
Festival of Britain opens to public (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Great Malvern to London Paddington
18:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
22:02 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
23:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
23:23 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
Delayed
19:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:44 Swindon to Westbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 04, 2024, 20:20:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Something different !
[148] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[102] Walking between stations
[49] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[45] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[37] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 8.34 Maidenhead to Paddington  (Read 13178 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 21:49:59 »

Hmm.  FGW (First Great Western) live updates at the time were reporting 'signalling problems' between Didcot Parkway and Reading - but I couldn't see anything that should have affected your journey from Maidenhead to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), Jo.  Undecided

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 23:00:14 »

Thanks Chris.. That is why I asked on here.. We left Maidenhead on time..and the crawled... on the fast line... most of the way.. The driver didn't know anything (he told us).. I got to work 20 minutes late.. I just wondered if anyone knew why so many trains into Paddington were late.. I guess no one knows..So my boss won't ever know why I was late either  Angry Huh Roll Eyes and other people must have had the same trouble..
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 10:55:01 »

I am very cross today  Grin Grin
The 8.34 was extremely hot and crawled ALL the way in again today..arriving 20 minutes late. I felt very ill by the time we got to Paddington and don't really feel totally right now.
Yet again.. not a single announcement to the passengers..
I have complained.. Just trying to guess what standard reply I'll get.. Roll Eyes
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 13:09:37 »

I am very cross today  Grin Grin
The 8.34 was extremely hot and crawled ALL the way in again today..arriving 20 minutes late. I felt very ill by the time we got to Paddington and don't really feel totally right now.
I have complained.. Just trying to guess what standard reply I'll get.. Roll Eyes

The 0800 arrived 1 minute late, however i'm sure that isn't any compensation!!
coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 13:44:09 »

This is the problem with DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) trains. As Drivers we are instructed that when driving under restrictive signals ie any thing other than green, we are not to use the PA (Public Address) system because it could distract you from keeping a lookout for the next signal.

Also it is rare that we get told what is happening. When we stop at a red signal it is normal for the signaller just to send a 'wait' message and the signal to clear without being told anything.

Noticed on the way out of Paddington this morning at 0900 that there were a number of HST (High Speed Train)'s heading to Old Oak so causing inbound trains to queue back to Acton.

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 13:51:43 »

Does anyone know why the queue was back to Maidenhead at 8.34 then?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 17:15:32 »

it's probably Heathrow junction.

Any train on the UP main which is slowed or stopped by a Heathrow express causes the following train to be on double yellows from Iver, the next from around Dolphin the next between Burnham and Slough and the next coming up to Taplow. Thus four trains in front of you on yellows and you crawl form Maidenhead. Particulary as the HSTs (High Speed Train) are locked down to certain speeds and until the ATP (Automatic Train Protection) is released by a green can't exceed that speed.

It's a bit like the motorway waves somebody slows 2 mph in the fast lane and 2 miles back the traffic comes to a halt.

You can model it mathmatically.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 19:23:47 »

it's probably Heathrow junction.

Any train on the UP main which is slowed or stopped by a Heathrow express causes the following train to be on double yellows from Iver, the next from around Dolphin the next between Burnham and Slough and the next coming up to Taplow. Thus four trains in front of you on yellows and you crawl form Maidenhead. Particulary as the HSTs (High Speed Train) are locked down to certain speeds and until the ATP (Automatic Train Protection) is released by a green can't exceed that speed.

It's a bit like the motorway waves somebody slows 2 mph in the fast lane and 2 miles back the traffic comes to a halt.

You can model it mathmatically.

Has anyone made any sort of estimate of how much diesel fuel is wasted by all of this?  Huh
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 21:29:51 »

Has anyone made any sort of estimate of how much diesel fuel is wasted by all of this?  Huh

Or how much of peoples lives are wasted? I'd hate to think..  Shocked
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 23:10:21 »

And here (below) is First Great Western's (pretty standard) response..
Does any one know if this is true or not...the bit about the train ahead experiencing problems that is?  - or is this just a standard paragraph I've not seen before now?

I've pretty much seen the rest of the e-mail before tho.. I've still not found the train manager on a turbo (which is DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard))).. I would love to see the "train manage/aka driver" walking down the train to give the personal touch to his information  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes.. whilst also driving the train...I'm thinking maybe I should ask about this?

I also like the fact they're still talking about air con even tho it's not needed in November.. They need to update their "what we can cut and paste" directives I think..

Big big sigh from me to FGW (First Great Western)... Sad

"Thank you for your email of 11 November 2010. I was sorry to hear about the disruption to your journey from Maidenhead to London Paddington on 11 November. We do our best to make sure our customers travel safely and arrive on time so I am very sorry you had a problem. The delay was caused as the train ahead experienced problems, causing the slow running of the service.

I was sorry to learn you were unhappy with the information on this service. Our Train Managers should always give out accurate information, especially when there is any disruption, through a mixture of personal contact and the train's public address system and I am sorry that this didn't happen on your journey.

We should always keep you up-to-date, even if it's to let you know we're waiting for more information ourselves. So I have passed your complaint on to the relevant Train Crew Manager, who I know will investigate what went wrong this time.

I am sorry you felt that the service was uncomfortably hot, we do thoroughly check each train overnight, and put right any problems before the train goes out again. There are times though when faults develop once the train has left the depot, and we do realise how uncomfortable this can be. On the rare occasions it does happen we believe that passengers would rather we kept the train running, than delay or cancel it, or have to send a replacement. So I do apologise that we had the fault, but hope you agree that keeping the train in service was the best course of action in the circumstances.

As a rule, if the air conditioning fails in one carriage we try and move passengers into others wherever possible. Even if the train's whole air conditioning system were to fail, we would normally keep the train running until we could repair the fault. Naturally we'd do that at the earliest opportunity, which may not be until the train returns to the depot that evening.

Some positive news is that we have now modified the air conditioning on our High Speed Trains, and we are also upgrading the system across our Turbo fleet as part of a major refreshment programme. This will mean fewer failures and more comfortable journeys for our customers.

I am sorry you were disappointed with the service you received. Your feedback is very important to us and I have recorded your comments for the attention of our Senior Managers.

Thank you once again for your email.

"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 23:36:56 »

They need to update their "what we can cut and paste" directives I think..

Exactly, Jo.  Roll Eyes

Having received FGW (First Great Western)'s 'first line of defence' (some fairly random standard paragraphs), I think you should now challenge them to reply to your specific points (which will need some more concentrated effort on their part, producing some rather more detailed tailor made paragraphs)!

Illegitimis nil carborundum (cough)  Tongue

Good luck!

Chris.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 23:48:31 »

Already done.. I await their reply with interest
 Grin Grin Roll Eyes
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 23:53:13 »

Quote from: chris from nailsea link=topic=7605.msg80411#msg80411
Illegitimis nil carborundum (cough)  Tongue
/quote
I just googled this..  Grin Wink And I won't  Grin
I'm on a course in deepest darkest berkshire for a couple of weeks currently.. Even though my journey into work was SO horrible thu of last week (as per my post).. driving home in fog where you can't actually see the road in front of you.. is much much worse. I did that two days in a row this week... Please please can I get a train again? Although one that ran on time occasionally would be preferable  Roll Eyes
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 18:24:39 »

Travelled on the 08:00 four times in the last week.

Tuesday 23rd- 12 minutes late Maidenhead, 10 mins late Pad. No reason/apology given
Wed 24th- 15 mins late Maidenhead, 12 mins late Pad- points problem at Oxford
Thurs 25th- didn't travel
Fri 26th- 10 mins late Maidenhead, 10 mins late Pad- "late start from Oxford"

Mon 29th- Cancelled!!! Due to many signal problems. Fortunately arrived early at Maidenhead and got the 07:41.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.....
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 18:58:28 »

Oh dear.. So the service hasn't got any better in my absence then.. I can hardly wait till next Monday when I'm back in London.. Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: