Lochluichart new station opens (link)

Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 02:57:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does FGW (First Great Western) take you door to door?  (Voting closed: March 24, 2010, 11:39:19)
Yes - and at both ends or my journey - 7 (18.9%)
At one end of my journey only - 13 (35.1%)
No - I have onward travel at both ends - 17 (45.9%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you connect into an FGW train, then on to some other transport too?  (Read 7511 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:19 »

Do you travel from within walking distance of one station to within walking distance of another, or is your most common journey one where your FGW (First Great Western) services connect in to / out of other trains / tubes / buses / cars / cycles / taxis / ferries?

Please answer for your most common journey ... and please treat a train that's operated by someone who's not FGW as an ongoing connection.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:40:42 »

Car to and from station.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:26:18 »

Bus to and from station Monday to Saturday daytime, taxi in the evening and on Sundays when the bus does not run.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:33:30 »

Car at this end

Either FGW (First Great Western) or SWT (South West Trains) at the other

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 13:02:25 »

I don't have a regular commute on FGW (First Great Western) - I actually use bus + walking, or occasionally the car.  I use FGW mainly for business travel to clients in the west.  I will use First Capital Connect + Underground to get to Paddington at this end.  At the other end, it depends on the location of the client office.  If it's within a mile or so of the station, I am happy to walk.  Otherwise it might be a bus (if convenient) or a taxi.  So I'm probably a floating voter as far as the poll is concerned.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 14:31:37 »

I usually walk to Redland from here which takes me nicely into Temple Meads.

At the other end, I usually get picked up by someone or take a taxi.  Very rarely do I take the bus at and it is a little too far to walk.  If I'm travelling in the evening, then I have to change at Southampton to a Southern service to complete my journey.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 15:21:36 »

I can't really answer as it honestly depends on why I'm travelling, lugagge etc. Usually I will walk to or from Temple Meads for example but if I'm carrying a large amount of baggage then I will catch the bus. And at the other end it depends on the time of day as to whether I catch a bus, get a lift or a mixture of an onwards connection with ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) and walk the rest. I have to be akward don't I  Grin
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 15:56:04 »

Car to Twyford or Wargrave (depending on time of travel- Wargrave if I'm travelling in the peaks, Twyford off peak), then walk from Paddington.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 17:31:50 »

Many thanks for the 'votes' (or rather mini-survey responses) so far.  I'm looking to gauge and learn what sort of proportion of our members' journeys are purely on FGW (First Great Western)'s train network, and what proportion connect in and out of other transports. Please do post details (as some of you have already been doing); I'm very interested in this too, but I kept the question straightforward rather than trying to come up with all possible combinations.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 17:41:36 »

Details.......

If travelling a normal commute it is FGW (First Great Western) all the way 90% of the time if you don't count my cycle/walk at the other end.  If I miss the connection, the SWT (South West Trains) service leaves a few minutes later so its usually easier to get that than wait.  Then I get a cab at the other end.

If travelling off peak then normally I go arriva to newport then connect with FGW and vice versa.

Only if I have the time to spare do I use W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) or if I have to go to birmingham I use XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) - both of these are FROM work to home

Its a car at this end to the station in all cases

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 17:48:50 »

My commute: 10 minute walk, 10 minute FGW (First Great Western) journey (NLS / BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)), 10 minute walk.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 18:04:17 »

Back in the old days once a week or so it used to be Oxford Bus Co (Headington to Oxford station) - FGW (First Great Western) - Wessex Connect/South Glos Bus and Coach/Buglers/whatever company had the council contract that week onward from Keynsham. Unless that happened to be on a Sunday, in which case it was a 25-min walk from Keynsham International.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 05:17:58 »

Travel hither and thither, but my most frequent trip over the last twelve months has been Bristol to Bracknell:

25 minute walk to Shirehampton, then FGW (First Great Western) to Bristol Temple Meads, then FGW to Reading, then SWT (South West Trains) to Bracknell, then First buses (or Courtney Coaches eve/wkend) to my final destination.

OR

5 min walk to bus stop. Wessex Connect bus to Bristol Parkway then as above.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chemphys

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 06:57:42 »

Walk to the station (West Drayton), train to Paddington, then bus or tube onwards to Victoria. Which depends on the weather (bus more pleasant when hot), time I get to Paddington (normally only get the tube if I get to Paddington Before 8:00) or day of the week (I collect a Shortlist from outside the station on a Thursday, so get the bus).

Then reverse in the evening.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 18:47:45 »

I live by Parson Street in Bristol but when going anywhere I normally tend to walk/jog/run to Temple Meads, which takes me about 20-25 minutes as it means:
a) I can leave when I want and I don't have to hang around waiting for a connection (only 1tph offpeak, which is when I tend to use the railways).
b) If I've booked tickets from Temple Meads to wherever I'm going I don't have to deal with barrier issues to get to the ticket machines
c) I can find out what's happened to my train as I'm not aware of any train running information at Parson Street

I'd never bother using a bus to Temple Meads as it's slower and generally more expensive than the train.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: