Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
02/05/24 23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 03:40:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead passengers overcharged for First Class upgrade (merged discussion)  (Read 31335 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 21:00:16 »

I've certainly had refunds on my FC(resolve) season ticket for the days it was totally unusable. Definitely worth asking...Mind you with the absolute total lack of ticket checking this year so far (on the trains I have been on that don't already have train managers.. so quite a lot) it's becoming a bit of a joke
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 21:45:01 »

Let's try and keep things civilized shall we, EBrown? No need to take that tone at all. Clearly Passenger Focus thought there was some merit in the argument, or they wouldn't have taken on the case. Are you accusing them of "stirring" as well?

For what it's worth, I work in the industry (not for FGW (First Great Western) though) and was convinced before I went back to check the CoC (Chamber of Commerce TBA) that there *were* arrangements in there to compensate passengers with FC(resolve) tickets who had to use SC.
The argument is civilised. Where have I not been polite? Sorry, but CoC, Byelaws and PF (Penalty Fare) Regulations & Rules are my 'home turf' so a curt answer can be expected, if anyone has an issue with what I post, drop me a DM and I'll see if I can change it.

The CoC are clear there is no 'interpretation issues here, the current version (May 12) and the previous version do not say that "When first class is full you can have a refund". I suspect passenger focus are more interested in the application only to 'Turbo' services. First haven't given the evidence I have infront of me - done anything wrong (except misinformed the customer), as such Pax Focus will no doubt side with them.

Nick, the Conditions of Carriage are enforced by a variety of different people, generally it will be enforced (in different ways) at several points on your journey. (When you buy a ticket, when you put your ticket in the gateline, when your ticket is inspected etc)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:57:37 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 22:41:17 »

My issue is with your use of language. Neither "suck it up" nor "you're wrongly stirring" are an especially polite way of making your point. All these ins and outs may well be your "home turf" but they're not everyone else's.

Accusing another poster of stirring when they have made a complaint to FGW (First Great Western) in good faith, a complaint which Passenger Focus considered had sufficient merit that they were prepared to take it up on his behalf, is unnecessarily hostile. Please desist from such blunt, unfounded accusations in future. I hope you are prepared to take that judgement, from me in my capacity as a moderator, with good grace.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 00:29:27 »

My issue is with your use of language.
Noted.

I'll send you a message later, and perhaps you'll consider being more courteous and sending me a message in future so I can remedy anything you have issue with quicker and without the need for public bickering.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:57:31 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 08:14:27 »

This is a public readable board, and comments posted here and their responses can be read by anyone.  Some general thoughts and observations.

* It's very easy to come across as brusque when that's not intended, especially when replying to / answering a specific post.  We tend to think as we write such answers of the person who we're answering, of whom we may have quite a long knowledge / experience but in fact we're going to be read by hundreds.

* Having posted in public, the natural response is also in public.   It allows the complete audience group to continue to be involved in the ongoing discussion, and it saves on multiple responses of the same sort via personal message, post reports, emails, etc. which would only reach a tiny part of the ongoing audience group.

* It's possible for people to ask for notifications to be sent to them by email when a thread to which they started / contributed has received a further post, and that lets them get back onto the issue quickly without having to keep coming back just in case more has been contributed.  It is, though, courteous for someone making a strong post in response to another member to send them a personal message to alert them, and perhaps to add more personal background if they wish.  In the normal turn of events, it could be considered hypocritical to post in public, yet have responses sent back to you in private;  if you start something in public ...

* Things get brought to the attention of the moderator / admin team in which they haven't been involved - things that clearly cause enough concern to at least one member of the audience groups for that person to write.  Sometimes the only follow up will be to write back to the person who raised the question and explain something / why / wherefore.  But many times it will be to bring the matter to the attention of the poster who wrote what's been brought up ... and the audience group too may well need to know.  So very often, the action will be a public one, perhaps backed up by personal message.   To respond only in private leaves the concerning thread uncommented to the rest of the audience group - ripe for an avalanche of complaints, and misleading the majority of the audience group into thinking that the post about which the moderators have been contacted is uncontroversial.  On some occasions, the only public response may be to lock the thread and add a brief comment that it's being considered / worked on.  And occasionally, especially where it's the moderators who have picked up a possible issue, it might be done by p.m. only; this runs the risk of a mushrooming workload for the moderators / admins though, as others may pick up and be asking too, and our volunteer's time is limited! Posters should in general be aware that posts they make on public boards will generate responses, including those they may not have intended or anticipated, also in public.

A lot of general comments there. Probably an unfairly long response from me to a little incident, but good documentation that I can add to my FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) store.  Cheesy

Edit - slight reformat - G
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:26:46 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 18:16:01 »

Well done NickB.. The/your article on this has made page 7 of the Maidenhead Advertiser this week so hopefully other people affected will see it and go and ask for their refunds too..
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 09:07:30 »

Interesting news item in the Maidenhead Advertiser last week about FGW (First Great Western) overcharging First Class passengers from Maidenhead:

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/News/Areas/Maidenhead/Commuter-issues-season-ticket-warning-after-being-overcharged-30012013.htm

Apparently, even though they know they did it, they're refusing to refund passengers unless they specifically demand a refund!
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 12:23:45 »

Indeed this is true - for I am the very same passenger who found the problem and raised it to FGW (First Great Western).  (see thread in Fare's Fair section)

When the error was admitted I asked what kind of restorative action FGW were going to take.  They said none, so I took it to the paper.  Not porud, not pretty, but what else could be done?

This affects all First class eatbound tickets issued from Twyford, Maidenhead, and all branch lines for at least the past 2 years.  If you go on the website the incorrect prices are still there.

gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 13:41:18 »

Well done Nick!.

Does you know what the "correct" fair is, or where to find or calculate it?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 13:43:22 »

I think you did exactly the right thing.  I'm never one who usually advocates a trip to the local press, but if FGW (First Great Western) were not willing to contact those people who are affected directly then this will highlight them of the problem and they can go and sort it out.  I'm sure that is was a administrative error, rather than any sleight of hand, but I'm a little surprised FGW aren't making the effort to contact those concerned themselves on a positive customer service level - after all, we're not talking about thousands of people here.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 15:32:29 »

Well done Nick!.

Thanks - I appreciate the support.  I wasn't sure how this would be received, but to be clear my motive was not a witchhunt against FGW (First Great Western) but just to inform other passengers of an acknowledged issue.

Incidentally gpn01, I see that you are a fellow 07.08 traveller - I'd be happy to say hello and chat about this if you wanted to(?)

So the 'formula' for working out the correct price is as follows:
- Work out the difference in price between a 1st Class Eastbound to Paddington, and a 1st Class Eastbound with z1-6 Tube (should be ^3496-^2756 = ^740).
- Work out the difference in price between a Standard Class to Paddington, and a Standard Class with z1-6 Tube (should be ^4368-^3444 = ^924).
- The overcharge is ^924-^740 = ^184.

The same applies for Twyford and branch line tickets, and both 2012 and 2013 prices. 
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 16:45:25 »

Another 'Well Done' Nick,
I read your bit on the letters page of the Maidenhead Advertiser and thought - crikey he's done well to spot that!
I guess another dent in First's profits.....
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 16:45:54 »

Well done Nick from me too Wink

That's not how the conditions of carriage read at all. A 1ST class ticket doesn't guarantee a seat, so you have to suck it up and stand in the first class section.

Interesting, Is this only for season tickets? I've had a few refunds of the difference between 1ST and STD where I've purchased a First Class Walk Up ticket and then not been able to get a seat in First Class, so had to sit in Standard instead. Also had them when TM(resolve)'s have Declassified First Class.

All occasions this has happened I have been refunded the difference between First and Standard Class Fares, One occasion the whole ticket and a bit more as I boarded the train which by the time I got to Reading was over 2 hours.

So am I to assume EBrown you're referring to season tickets under the CoC (Chamber of Commerce TBA). As I am reasonably sure I've seen in multiple places that refunds of the difference are given between First and Standard Class Tickets where a Passenger has a First Class Ticket and has to plonk themselves down in Standard assuming they can even do that Shocked

Or have I just been receiving Good Will Gestures? Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 17:50:57 »

Well done Nick!.

Thanks - I appreciate the support.  I wasn't sure how this would be received, but to be clear my motive was not a witchhunt against FGW (First Great Western) but just to inform other passengers of an acknowledged issue.

Incidentally gpn01, I see that you are a fellow 07.08 traveller - I'd be happy to say hello and chat about this if you wanted to(?)

So the 'formula' for working out the correct price is as follows:
- Work out the difference in price between a 1st Class Eastbound to Paddington, and a 1st Class Eastbound with z1-6 Tube (should be ^3496-^2756 = ^740).
- Work out the difference in price between a Standard Class to Paddington, and a Standard Class with z1-6 Tube (should be ^4368-^3444 = ^924).
- The overcharge is ^924-^740 = ^184.

The same applies for Twyford and branch line tickets, and both 2012 and 2013 prices. 

Thanks Nick.  All I know is that I paid ^3982.40 for Maidenhead ^ Paddington Annual Season ticket in November with 1ST eastbound including London Zones 1 - 6 and that's after the 5% discount (which they took off the tube component!).  Think I^ll send an email asking what the correct fair should be.

I^ve switched from the 07:08 to the 06:43 as the 07:08 has been completely unreliable for the past few days.  No doubt we^ll bump into each other at some point though.  Be good to say HI!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 18:05:43 »

Well done Nick!.

Nick - may I add my support - especially bearing in mind the reasons for you going to the press.  This was indeed something of an unusual situation; it needed careful weighing up and from what I know you reached the right conclusion.  More typically - in most other cases - taking a complaint to the press simply strengthens the resolve of the company you're complaining about and makes it far harder to work constructively with them on future issues. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: