Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
19:15 Penzance to Bristol Temple Meads
20:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 00:00:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[245] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[75] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[56] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[43] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[40] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[32] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket checks on HST  (Read 12698 times)
NickB

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2013, 09:08:09 »

I've just returned from a weekend break to the SW with Mrs NickB.  We coughed for the 1st class upgrade as we predicted it would be a busy service (which it was) and I had some work to do (which I didn't).

The crazy thing is that we travelled Maidenhead to Par, and back again, and no-one asked to see our tickets.  Not on board, and not at the stations.  We just wandered in, ate and drank all of the free stuff, and wandered out again.  Then did the same again.

Is this a common phenomena in your experience?

I was rather peeved to be honest because why did I bother getting the upgrade?  The whole of 1st class was full, and there were audible conversations from other groups outlining the fact that they hadn't bought a first class ticket.

I realise that this is a bit of a snobby problem, but the ball has clearly been dropped on enforcement of ticketing in my view.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:21:38 »

I assume your weekend break involved travelling down on a Friday and back on a Monday as you bought your "upgrade" before joining the train - ie opted to buy a first class ticket rather than a standard.

I had one notable Sunday recently where I travelled on seven trains, a mixture of units and HSTs (High Speed Train), and was only checked once.  However that has proved to be the exception.  I usually travel to the West Country on a Saturday morning and back on Sunday afternoon and buy a Weekend First on board.  In most cases I have been sold the upgrade by a passing Train Manager before the next station.

However I agree with you - nothing peeves me more than fellow passengers "boasting" they don't have the correct ticket (or any ticket at all).   Just occasionally they get caught out which I readily admit I find very satisfying!   Wink
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:03 »

I assume your weekend break involved travelling down on a Friday and back on a Monday as you bought your "upgrade" before joining the train - ie opted to buy a first class ticket rather than a standard.

Yes indeed.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:43:00 »

About two years ago I had a similar experience between Yatton and Oxford.  I travelled both ways first class, clutching my ^15 weekend upgrade fare with ticket on the table in front of me and in neither direction was I asked for it.  As I was going to a wedding I wonder if my appearance in a suit had anything to do with assumptions about who might have a first class ticket, as a glance was made down the coach.  If it wasn't for the barriers at Oxford, I could have travelled ticketless as no checks were carried out and the TM(resolve) only appeared to rush to the back of the train to close an open door.  That day was an exception, I admit, and I don't advise anyone to take the risk.

However, on occasions when I have travelled 1st and required refreshment from the buffet at weekends, a ticket has been required before the freebies have been handed over, similarly on CrossCountry from the trolley.  However, FGW (First Great Western) trolley staff in 1st don't appear to be worried and hand out to all sitting in the leather seats.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:58:05 »

I don't think that tickets need checking on every journey - a system which checks (say) 1 in 10 in an unpredictable pattern, and imposes strong measures against transgressors, is likely to be far cheaper to run than a system that manually checks every ticket on every leg.   I made five journeys on trams in Dublin last week.  Bought a ticket in advance on each occasion, wasn't checked once.   Would I have minded being checked? No.  Do I regret not being check?  Not really; if I was checked every time, guess who would be paying for the cost of providing the extra inspectors ...

My comments fall down where there's no opportunity to buy tickets at the station before boarding (Bedwyn, Melksham, Dilton Marsh, Trowbridge outside ticket office hours, Avoncliff, etc) or where the fare system is so complex that assistance / later upgrade capabilities are routinely needed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:05:47 »

I think 1st class *should* be checked every trip, and probably between every stop too - just to stop those who sit there with a STD ticket getting away with paying for their 1st class seat....
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:13:16 »

I have gone Didcot->London (and reverse) more than once first class at the weekend and not been asked to pay for the Weekend First  upgrade - and there could be no doubt as I have my ticket and railcard on the table with a fiver sticking out.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 11:24:35 »

oh, so have I.....ditto from/to Oxford.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:27:46 »

I think 1st class *should* be checked every trip, and probably between every stop too - just to stop those who sit there with a STD ticket getting away with paying for their 1st class seat....

I'm sure First Class passengers wouldn't mind having their tickets checked between every stop - in fact I'm fairly confident they wouldn't mind being patted down for contaband at the same time, with perhaps the occasional strip search just to make sure...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:38:57 »

I'm sure First Class passengers wouldn't mind having their tickets checked between every stop - in fact I'm fairly confident they wouldn't mind being patted down for contaband at the same time, with perhaps the occasional strip search just to make sure...

I'm sure they wouldn't mind paying the extra cost of a staff member to make the checks either.

Now if "weekend first" was purchased before joining the train ... from staff or TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine), or on the train if joining at stations without facilities - just like any other ticket - might that sort out a few issues?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 11:43:27 »

Not many....how do you know whether there'd be a seat available on the day?....now that really *would* piss off a 1st Class ticket holder....
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 20:03:42 »

Those with the correct ticket can also benefit from the lack of checks. I'm reluctant to discuss the details an open forum, but suffice it to say he regularly gets peak return trips from Bristol to Paddington for ^10.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 20:52:43 »

I can see no way that someone holding a 'correct' ticket can legitimately travel for ^10 in the peak.

Not without either breaking the byelaws, exploiting a loophole (and it'd be a massive one, soon closed), abusing staff travel facilities, or getting the nod from staff.

If there is a legitimate way to travel Bristol to Paddington ^10 return in the peak, then such a way has escaped the army of fares experts that are out there.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 21:02:06 »

I can see no way that someone holding a 'correct' ticket can legitimately travel for ^10 in the peak.

Not without either breaking the byelaws, exploiting a loophole (and it'd be a massive one, soon closed), abusing staff travel facilities, or getting the nod from staff.

If there is a legitimate way to travel Bristol to Paddington ^10 return in the peak, then such a way has escaped the army of fares experts that are out there.

I can guess, but not going to explain in a public forum.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 21:03:23 »

Hmmm.. it is the fact the post mentions "benefit from the lack of checks" which worries me.....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: