22:30 Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
19:15 Penzance to Bristol Temple Meads
20:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 23:44:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[245] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[75] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[56] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[43] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[40] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[32] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign for Tavistock reopening  (Read 298188 times)
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2012, 23:14:23 »

Sounds like a good idea 34104. I walked part of the line last year with my son. thoroughly enjoyable, though had no torch to get through Shillamill tunnel. Keep us informed Grin

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2012, 18:21:16 »

The lower road was closed yesterday afternoon but reopened by the evening,i had a look around the bridge but there was nothing different from usual,at least superficially.Interestingly though,there were a couple of guys dressed in safety jackets walking on the line away from the bridge in question towards Shillamill viaduct early this morning,maybe the bridge inspections are taking place sequentially in the direction of Tavistock from BA» (British Airways - about),that would fit in with the work being carried out on Gawton bridge a couple of months back.I'll keep my eyes open for any further developments.

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 13, 2012, 14:45:50 »

Two white vans parked on the bridge this morning and a couple of men were definitely inspecting the steelwork which takes the bridge across the road.Looked suspiciously like Devon County Council vehicles-something is happening,lets hope that the inspections will prove to be positive.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2012, 15:22:52 »

Remember that since the bridge is a highway structure Devon CC will have to inspect it every 5 years anyway.  That might not count for the viaduct though!

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2012, 17:56:28 »

Remember that since the bridge is a highway structure Devon CC will have to inspect it every 5 years anyway.  That might not count for the viaduct though!

All i can say on that point is that i've been driving between BA» (British Airways - about) and Tavistock for a few decades and i can't remember the lower road ever being closed to allow an inspection before.I'm pretty sure that the bridge is contained within the trackbed purchased by them from the Forestry commission [or whatever they're called]-i'll be keeping a close eye on Shillamill viaduct and surrounds in the next few weeks,it'll be interesting to see if the inspections are sequential.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2012, 18:14:19 »

Normally an inspection would not require a road closure. Unless there was something of concern or unles an excavation was required.

Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2012, 19:52:39 »

Ooooh cery exciting developments. Hoepfully we will be able to travel to Tavistock by train in the next few years Smiley Grin
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2012, 21:33:00 »

Yes indeed. I hope things are moving now!

Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #308 on: April 15, 2012, 18:11:12 »

Calstock is needed and used wideley so deserves a decent service like it currently has. You would esentially have 2 branch lines The tamar Vally to Gunnislake and the Drake Line to Tavistock.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 18:18:29 by Plymboi » Logged

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:13 »

In the Tavistock Times yesterday,news was published of the intention to open an informal footpath between Monksmead [where the broken bridge is,on the Tavvy-Callington road] and Rumleigh lane,which is about a mile from Bere Alston, total of 4 miles,later this summer.Access points will also be provided at Gawton bridge and Slymeford farm.Essentially this is to fit in with the Tamar valley mining heritage scheme and no direct mention was made of the railway reopening but at least it's a start in making the route a transport corridor once more.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 05, 2012, 21:26:39 »

Yes I think the original idea was to have a cycle track beside the rail line, (after all double track with single line leaves space), but obviously the track is not going through Shillamill Tunnel.
When I walked there last year evidence could be seen of building a path up to avoid the tunnel. After all, it is not really a good idea to share a tunnel with an operational railway.

I still believe that the Transport and Works act Order is still being worked on and this will take some time.

Any update would be appreciated though

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2012, 16:58:55 »

Funnily enough,we were discussing Shillamill tunnel [in connection with the footpath] on the way to football yesterday.We both recalled walking through it when bunking off school Grin and walking back to Bere Alston-very spooky it was,too,it seemed to take an eternity to see any chink of light.I think i know what you are referring to-there has been a gate installed and a path made from the road which seems to lead to the Bere Alston end of the tunnel-must explore it one day.Would there actually be anything to stop the tunnel from being used as a railway and cycle path provided it was adequately lit and appropriately fenced down the middle? I seem to recall that the tunnel at Shaugh Prior on the old GWR (Great Western Railway) Plymouth to Launceston line is lit on a permanent basis,although obviously that is for cyclists and walkers only,more's the pity.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 07, 2012, 15:09:52 »

I suppose the only real problems would be fumes from the railway (Health and Safety and all), but anything could be done, though I think as the tunnel is 'S' shaped the railway may be more expediently placed without worrying about a footpath.

Where my son and I joined the path was from the Tavistock to Bere Alston road bridge. I guess about 2 miles from Shillamill Tunnel Work had obviously been done there too with fencing etc

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 08, 2012, 17:46:24 »

Another little update-driving along the lower BA» (British Airways - about)-Tavistock road this morning and lo and behold,two chaps in safety jackets and carrying what looked like tools and instrumentation were climbing the embankment up to the bridge that was the subject of the recent inspection-there were two unmarked white vans parked at the foot of the hill towards Tavistock.The curiosity is now getting too much to bear,i've e mailed Peter Frost of Kilbride to try to find out what's happening.May be in connection with the footpath of course,hopefully some hard info will be forthcoming from Kilbride.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2012, 14:00:09 »

Well done 34104!

I also have contacted Killbride, but on a more general enquiry of what is happening really, so between us hopefully we should find out some more.

If the Cycle path does not go through tunnel then the work at this bridge is likely to be associated with the railway rather than the cycle path. I saw fencing on the Bere Alston side of the tunnel extending up to the road. From the access point on the Tavistock side, there is only a short distance to Shillamill Viaduct as you know. And in any case the access point is between the Tunnel and this bridge.

Fingers crossed!!!!!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: