14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:23 Swansea to London Paddington
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 15:46:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[231] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[91] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[52] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[48] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[38] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign for Tavistock reopening  (Read 298160 times)
chaulender

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 31, 2013, 20:10:52 »

But the buses currently wait in the forecourt outside the current platform.  So as well as needing to change trains to get to Plymouth by train, passengers from Gunnislake/Calstock would also have a bit of a trek at Bere Alston to meet any bus connections (though maybe those are only to Tavistock which could be served by rail - I don't know).  The benefits of a frequent shuttle between G'lake and BA» (British Airways - about) include possible rail connections to Tavistock as well as Plymouth, which would be good.  Overall the 'branch connection' at BA does seem to make sense.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 01, 2013, 00:29:38 »

But the buses currently wait in the forecourt outside the current platform.  So as well as needing to change trains to get to Plymouth by train, passengers from Gunnislake/Calstock would also have a bit of a trek at Bere Alston to meet any bus connections (though maybe those are only to Tavistock which could be served by rail - I don't know).  The benefits of a frequent shuttle between G'lake and BA» (British Airways - about) include possible rail connections to Tavistock as well as Plymouth, which would be good.  Overall the 'branch connection' at BA does seem to make sense.

The buses that run to/from the station provide a connection to Plymouth in the morning and from Plymouth in the afternoon.  They are pretty well used by villagers - otherwise it is a ten/fifteen minute walk.

For passengers from Gunnislake & Calstock for Bere Alston, there is a route round and underneath the railway using the old goods yard entrance.  It's a few minutes longer than now.  It's a very tiny flow.
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #407 on: February 03, 2013, 14:03:11 »

Would putting a passing loop such as the one at penyrn be viable for Bere Alston?

I suppose any demand for a tavistock to gunnislake service would be next to none would it not? When people talk of the tavistock to meldon part also being constructed would it not have to be redoubled? As a single track would provide an awful level of service.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 03, 2013, 14:11:16 »

Would putting a passing loop such as the one at penyrn be viable for Bere Alston?

I suppose any demand for a tavistock to gunnislake service would be next to none would it not? When people talk of the tavistock to meldon part also being constructed would it not have to be redoubled? As a single track would provide an awful level of service.

Ooh now you are asking!  There is plenty of room (or was last time I looked) at Lydford Jcn for passing loops (re-open to Launceston anyone?).   Cheesy

Seriously, if a little line to Gunnislake is justfied..... where in the world is such a line not?

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 04, 2013, 22:10:17 »

Just received an e mail from Bovis homes,they are holding an exhibition in the Bedford Hotel in Tavistock on Friday 22nd February,open from 1300 hrs until 2000hrs. The exhibition is to outline their plans for the housing development in conjunction with the rebuilding of the railway,outline planning application is being made later this year,may be worth a look for anyone interested. They are also opening a website after the exhibition in which comments and opinions can be passed on to Bovis - www.bovishomes.co.uk/tavistock. They can also be e mailed at tavistock@bovishomes.co.uk.

Edit note: Punctuation amended slightly to allow hyperlink to work. CfN.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 23:16:41 by chris from nailsea » Logged
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 05, 2013, 13:09:22 »

My view is that if the missing link is to be reinstated, then it must have the capacity to accommodate diverted mainline services, in order to justify the cost. It would also be beneficial to construct it in tandem with a footpath/cycle track/bridlepath, as per the Tavistock plan.

However, single track with both dynamic and station passing loops as per Exeter - Salisbury would suffice. Crediton to Colebrooke would be relatively easy to transform into a dynamic passing loop, for example. There is also a passing loop in place at Okehampton (well almost) and Meldon. A passing loop at Tavistock, and perhaps a dynamic one between Bere Alston and Bere Ferrers?

It will never be as fast as the Dawlish route, but infinitely preferable to a bus! Also, diverted mainline trains could replace the local service, allowing for an hourly service in each direction, or thereabouts.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2013, 21:37:59 »

Yes I agree with all of that Umb, and just add that all of Crediton to Okehampton can be re-duped as there is nothing in the way and I also mentioned Lydford Jcn, don't forget.  Elsewhere between Okehampton and Tavistock the cyclists can have a path that is just as pleasant as the rail one, as there is oodles of moorland to use.

It'll have to be done one day, it's inevitable -how many decades though, I would not like to hazard, hmm, two I reckon, just wait to the next Parsons Tunnel area collapse (see old print in GWR (Great Western Railway) history books).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2013, 21:55:59 »

Should I arrange to have 're-duped' added to our Acronyms/Abbreviations pageTongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:35 »

Why not just refer to it as 'our AAP'?

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 06, 2013, 12:39:18 »

Should I arrange to have 're-duped' added to our Acronyms/Abbreviations pageTongue

I stood back and admired that one, rather like one does a painting (I am not a modest type, generally.   Wink

Actually if the line is not there (e.g.Tavistock to Okehampton) it's re-instated.  If it is there, single, but was double (e.g. west of Crediton to Okehampton) , then it has been 're-doubled'.  I was trying to avoid the road-building term 're-dualled' as in our case that would mean four-tracked.

Do we have a pseud's corner on FGWCS?
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #415 on: February 07, 2013, 20:52:46 »

I read someone's account of there talks with a county officer who told them that:

An extra point was to be built after the bridge on the gunnislake line at Bere Alston station, and the line extended along the up platform, so the 13 a day service can continue. And the gunnislake trains will meet the tavistock trains on arrival, and using separate tracks will minimise infrastructure.

And that the old waiting room on Bere Alston's up platform has already been granted approval for restoration funding.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 08, 2013, 14:29:42 »

Well Plymboi, that is good news indeed. A much better initial service than was anticipated with Killbrides' original timetable. I wonder if it will be them that pays for the additional pointwork or Network Rail. No additional token or staff would be needed if the 1st train up and last train back divided/combined at Bere Alston

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #417 on: February 15, 2013, 10:41:08 »

. Plan to revive old Devon railway line for 750-home community unveiled

Plans for hundreds of new homes linked to the reopening of a Devon railway line are to be the subject of a public exhibition next week.

The line from Bere Alston to Tavistock in West Devon was among those axed by Dr Beeching 50 years ago, although there remains a regular service from Bere Alston to Plymouth.....

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Plan-revive-old-Devon-railway-line-750-home/story-18155044-detail/story.html#axzz2KxkFOAJ6

Also apparently the two days earlier this month proved successful and many supported the idea.

Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #418 on: February 22, 2013, 11:38:45 »

Public exhibition is today in tavistock 1-8 Bedford hotel"
ACE

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 23, 2013, 14:54:00 »

I read someone's account of there talks with a county officer who told them that:

An extra point was to be built after the bridge on the gunnislake line at Bere Alston station, and the line extended along the up platform, so the 13 a day service can continue. And the gunnislake trains will meet the tavistock trains on arrival, and using separate tracks will minimise infrastructure.

And that the old waiting room on Bere Alston's up platform has already been granted approval for restoration funding.

More excellent news

Western Region Rocker
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: