Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 03:00:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign for Tavistock reopening  (Read 298209 times)
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #480 on: May 23, 2013, 00:33:42 »

Oh exciting developments, makes it more real. Although I don't like the cycle path idea, hopefully it won't phrohibit any redoubling in the far future.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 23, 2013, 20:00:07 »

Sustrans may be a thorn in the side of a certain heritage railway, but I very much doubt they could prevent Exeter - Oke - Plymouth being reopened, and to main line status, if that was the will of the powers that be.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #482 on: June 17, 2013, 20:36:14 »

Further to my offer of help with certain technical issues in uploading images (see previous posts), member '34104' has now provided me with some further pictures and the following update on this particular topic:

Work seems to have ceased for the past couple of weeks-the clearance went as far as Shillamill viaduct and came to a halt.I think the work must have been in relation to the cyclepath rather than the railway at this stage-there is a large hollow in the trackbed just before the viaduct which has been treated with material suitable for use as a cyclepath but it has not been levelled out-certainly wouldn't be any good for a train,unless nausea tables were provided. I will keep an eye on any further developments -maybe the next stage of the cyclepath will begin at Callington Road and work towards Shillamill. A couple of photo's attached showing the extent of the work so far and one of the viaduct itself,taken through the keyhole of the iron gate at the West end of it.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 25, 2013, 18:14:40 »

Very quiet recently but there is an article in the Tavistock Times today in which Devon County Council say they are very happy with the generally positive response to the reopening of the railway in the recent public consultations-apparently 60% were in complete support of the railway and cycle trail,many of the negative responses were to the effect that the station was to be sited so far away from the town centre.Next steps for DCC» (Devon County Council - website) are to undertake further survey and environmental assessment work and the drawing up of more detailed designs.The article also gave the first [to my knowledge,anyway] specific funding source to be tapped as a supplement to contributions from the developers-bids are being submitted to the Heart of the South West Transport Board;

http://www.heartofswlep.co.uk/local-transport-board

The article concludes by stating that the HSWLTB will be consulting the public and stakeholders re it's prioritised programme in the autumn.Still quite encouraging news,lets hope things progress smoothly.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: July 25, 2013, 20:31:12 »

Unsurprising that many of the negative responses were to the effect that the station was to be sited so far away from the town centre.

However, I think that if (as must surely be the hope) the Tavistock re-opening acts as a catalyst for a wider "Squirrel Formula Phase 1" style re-opening programme, then the public may have to accept that as a price worth paying, due to the development encroachment that will have taken place in many cases further into the towns/cities involved meaning that restored lines terminate more towards the outskirts than might be desired.

Of course, if "Squirrel Formula Phase 2" includes an acceptance of the need to re-open through to Okehampton, then this would involve the sort of re-modelling of the centre of Tavistock that whilst not impossible to foresee, would certainly be viewed as a game-changing catalyst in itself.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ACE

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 09, 2013, 19:21:08 »

Walked the section from Callington Road bridge to Shillamill viaduct yesterday and the section from the old station to the outskirts. The section to be relaid seems very solid and well preserved, which 'bodes' well for the future re instatement. In case anyone wants to look at the pictures, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/andrew.triggs.5/media_set?set=a.10201777286021753.1073741866.1469636110&type=1

Western Region Rocker

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 10, 2013, 09:06:26 »

Walked the section from Callington Road bridge to Shillamill viaduct yesterday and the section from the old station to the outskirts. The section to be relaid seems very solid and well preserved, which 'bodes' well for the future re instatement. In case anyone wants to look at the pictures, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/andrew.triggs.5/media_set?set=a.10201777286021753.1073741866.1469636110&type=1

I tried to walk the same section a few months ago but stopped at the first major cutting,which was pretty uninviting due to the swamp-like conditions within it-presumably the recent heatwave dried it out a bit,i may have another try next week.Thanks for the photo's,very interesting-can't wait for those damn walls to be demolished on either end of the viaduct.There was a white van on the trackbed near Shillamill tunnel yesterday but not sure if it was related to the railway-i'll keep watch next week for any further developments.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 10, 2013, 09:28:10 »

Excellent pictures, thank you ACE link. The viaduct looks in good shape for the reinstatement.

Now, please!

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 24, 2013, 17:11:39 »

Another couple of snippets.Had a look at Bere Alston station today and much scaffolding has been erected around the old up platform waiting room,with the windows having been
unboarded and any remaining glass removed.I seem to remember reading awhile back that there were plans to refurbish this building with the reopening to Tavistock in mind,i will keep an eye open for further developments.It certainly needs some TLC (three letter code ),the roof is in a shocking state,lets hope that it will have a further and longer lease of life.

I walked part of the section between Gawton and Shillamill tunnel last week and to my surprise actually met someone on the way.She said that she was carrying out a survey to establish the possibility of rare species such as dormice,bats and reptilians living on the old railway and confirmed that the survey was in relation to the reopening of the line,so things still seem to be on going behind the scenes even if superficially all has gone quiet for some time.Good news.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #489 on: September 27, 2013, 01:01:45 »

Good news.

Hmm.  Let's hope so.  Roll Eyes

My concern is that the discovery that there may indeed be the odd bat and/or newt living in the area may cause the same sort of campaigns, inquiries, appeals and protests as we saw at Wolvercote, for example.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #490 on: October 08, 2013, 23:13:04 »

This is not related to the railway, but does raise some concern over the legal process and its application in Tavistock - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Devon council in ^50k court move against own department

A catalogue of errors led to a Devon council spending ^50,000 on a court action against its own planning decision, it has emerged.

In 2007 West Devon Council approved a Focus DIY store in Tavistock. In 2011, when allowing minor changes at the site, the council failed to retain a restriction as a non-food outlet.

After supermarket giant Tesco declared an interest in the site, the council decided in May last year to launch a judicial review of the case. But an internal report has revealed the authority was beyond the three-month time period in which a legal challenge could be made. The court appearance was unsuccessful and resulted in costs of about ^50,000.

A planning application has been now submitted by site owners Marchfield for a Tesco supermarket and is expected to be heard in November.

The report found the delay in seeking a judicial review was partly down to the case "being passed back and forth" between the legal and planning departments, without anyone taking clear ownership or responsibility for it. Councillors voted to seek a judicial review but had not been provided with enough information on the elapsed time period, the report added.

Liberal Democrat councillor Alison Clish-Green said: "The three-month rule for the judicial review is not rocket science and I would have thought most councillors could have got their heads around that. I don't think we were told, as a council, how serious it was and if we had have been, perhaps we would not have gone for the judicial review."

The report, called The Focus Review, made a number of recommendations including creating a closer partnership between the legal and planning departments and said that any serious litigation proceedings should be dealt with promptly.

Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #491 on: October 19, 2013, 18:00:07 »

Loving the information and progress on tavistock. However 2018 seems so far away want it reopened now Sad.
ACE

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 25, 2013, 09:35:13 »

Bere Alston.The Waiting room on the island platform, re roofed and painting of the window frames ongoing 22.11.2013

Western Region Rocker
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 25, 2013, 19:57:19 »

Possibly the repairs to the former Island platform waiting room at Bere Alston is in anticipation of it firstly being used by cyclists using part of the former Southern main line trackbed between Bere Alston and Tavistock (closed 6/5/68 and shortsightedly dismantled from Meldon Jn to Bere Alston (by rail) between Autumn 1969 and Spring 1970).
DCC» (Devon County Council - website) have a scheme to make a cycleway using one half of the formation (but not including Shillamill Tunnel) with a fence separating it from trains on the adjoining re-instated track.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 07, 2014, 15:51:56 »

I have just found out that there is a lecture to be held at Plymouth University on 22nd January 5.45-6pm start. Giving historical details but also the work required to develop the project and progress so far. There is no cost, but anyone wishing to go must call/email to reserve a place. I have already booked one so will be attending.

Link to page is below

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/pages/dynamic.asp?page=events&eventID=8415&showEvent=1

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: