16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 18:47:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign for Tavistock reopening  (Read 298170 times)
oilengineer

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2009, 18:42:17 »

HI, THIS TOPIC HAS STALLED!!!

It clearly shows the problem of support of all projects Rail.

Whilst the Road Lobby is up and Kicking there is no organised national Rail Lobby, yes there is Rail Future (RDS or what ever they call themselves now) but Rail Future is spilit into Branches who all have there own key projects, Rail Futures a good bunch of Men & Women with the right Ideas (I'm a former RDS member).

What is needed is a National Rail Lobby that Puts forward a Key Rail Project (such as Tavistock reinstatement) and campaigns for it Nationally. 
When DfT» (Department for Transport - about) gives in then the Campaign turns to the next Project such as reinstating Rail to St Ives Cambs.

That's the way forward for a much better Rail System in this Country.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2009, 12:14:01 »

HI, THIS TOPIC HAS STALLED!!!

It clearly shows the problem of support of all projects Rail.

Whilst the Road Lobby is up and Kicking there is no organised national Rail Lobby, yes there is Rail Future (RDS or what ever they call themselves now) but Rail Future is spilit into Branches who all have there own key projects, Rail Futures a good bunch of Men & Women with the right Ideas (I'm a former RDS member).

What is needed is a National Rail Lobby that Puts forward a Key Rail Project (such as Tavistock reinstatement) and campaigns for it Nationally. 
When DfT» (Department for Transport - about) gives in then the Campaign turns to the next Project such as reinstating Rail to St Ives Cambs.

That's the way forward for a much better Rail System in this Country.

Far from it, Oilengineer. It continues in another thread, where you'll find the latest updates on progress towards the reconnection of Tavistock to the rail network.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=4324.0

Tavistock aside, I do agree with your point that a national rail lobby able to focus the agenda on one or two projects at a time would be a great idea, though there's always the fear that projects in certain high-visibilty regions - notably those near London - would dominate any nationally-set agenda. The two major projects of recent years in the far south west - the Burngullow redoubling and the Penryn loop - have been brought about primarily as a result of an concerted effort between local and European organisations. 
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2009, 17:32:15 »

Perhaps this thread should be shut, and diverted to the other one. Huh
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2009, 17:44:15 »

Perhaps this thread should be shut, and diverted to the other one. Huh

Cue Chris with a bad joke...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2009, 21:44:27 »

Ahem!  Shocked Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2009, 22:35:10 »

Cue Chris with a bad joke...
Ahem!  Shocked Roll Eyes
eh?
Huh Sad Cry

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2009, 22:43:57 »

I was quite simply shocked, Btline, at the mere suggestion that even one of my jokes might possibly have been a bad one!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2009, 09:43:17 »

Good news: West Devon Council voted decisively in favour of incorporating the plan to restore the rail link to Tavistock into its core strategy last night. It seems as if the scrutiny/consultation stages will take another year, with formal plans being submitted in 2010.

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/news/Council-backs-bring-rail-link/article-921575-detail/article.html

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2009, 13:02:05 »

Good news: West Devon Council voted decisively in favour of incorporating the plan to restore the rail link to Tavistock into its core strategy last night. It seems as if the scrutiny/consultation stages will take another year, with formal plans being submitted in 2010.

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/news/Council-backs-bring-rail-link/article-921575-detail/article.html

Good news indeed.This has been talked for so long that until the first train is rumbling out of Bere Alston towards Tavistock,i shall remain cynical! Certainly looks good though.I'm not really au fait with planning procedures etc-do you know if there are any stumbling blocks that could be placed in the way of the project?
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2009, 13:06:19 »

Good news indeed.This has been talked for so long that until the first train is rumbling out of Bere Alston towards Tavistock,i shall remain cynical! Certainly looks good though.I'm not really au fait with planning procedures etc-do you know if there are any stumbling blocks that could be placed in the way of the project?
One issue now is that all regional transport projects (other than motorways) are funded by Regional Funding Allocation and have to be given priority by the Regional Assembly.  It will not only be up against road projects but also local public transport schemes and it could be decided that the scheme is not a regional priority as the funds needs to be used in other areas of the South West region.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2009, 13:23:13 »

One issue now is that all regional transport projects (other than motorways) are funded by Regional Funding Allocation and have to be given priority by the Regional Assembly.  It will not only be up against road projects but also local public transport schemes and it could be decided that the scheme is not a regional priority as the funds needs to be used in other areas of the South West region.

Would the funding not be covered by Kilbride's involvement though? I was under the impression that Kilbride would fund[^18 million is the last projected figure] and build the railway and make their profit from also building the 750 new homes.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2009, 13:30:30 »

Would the funding not be covered by Kilbride's involvement though? I was under the impression that Kilbride would fund[^18 million is the last projected figure] and build the railway and make their profit from also building the 750 new homes.
Is that the entire cost of the project?
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2009, 13:38:42 »

Is that the entire cost of the project?

I can help here.  Yes, Kilbride will fund the ^18.5million cost of rebuilding the railway and also the additional cost of operating the enhanced service (that is, over and above the existing Tamar Valley Line service) for a period of, I think, up to three years.

No money will be sought from the Regional Funding Allocation.

Richard Burningham
Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 15:25:24 by RichardB » Logged
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2009, 14:31:40 »

Richard, as someone who is more in the know than most, would you hazard a guess as to the chances that this will now actually happen? 50%? 75%?
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2009, 15:32:57 »

Richard, as someone who is more in the know than most, would you hazard a guess as to the chances that this will now actually happen? 50%? 75%?

Well, Tavistock reopening has never really got very far in the past and this is a deliverable project that can be funded and has advanced a long way (with a lot further to go) in the planning process. 

Devon County Council taking over the track bed, tunnel and viaduct still owned by BRB(resolve) Residuary is another big step forward - although, even if the railway doesn't happen, this move will not have been in vain as the cycleway will definitely happen.

I wouldn't like to put a percentage on the chances of the project going ahead but we are much, much further ahead with it than at any time in the past and Kilbride are committed to making it happen.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: