Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 02:54:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign for Tavistock reopening  (Read 298209 times)
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2009, 19:31:17 »

Well we all know it's totally meaningless, and a complete waste of time, but it might sell a few more local papers!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2009, 22:48:10 »

From the Tavistock Times Gazette:

Railway draws closer  Thursday, 30 April 2009 

The reinstatement of the railway between Bere Alston and Tavistock has moved a step closer, following this week^s decision by Devon County Council^s executive.
Councillors agreed to support the principle of entering into a joint venture partnership with Kilbride Properties Ltd to deliver the multi-million project which would re-open the line from Bere Alston station to a new station at Tavistock, with a regular through train service operated to and from Plymouth. 
Sections of the railway track bed of the old line, which closed in 1968, have been purchased by the county council ^ with the transfer from BRB(resolve) Property completed in March.
Some land clearance has now also been carried out along the route.
Cllr Margaret Rogers, the executive member for environment, said: ^Re-opening the railway line and developing a new walking and cycling route will provide people with real alternatives to using their cars.
^This formal partnership will hopefully enable the development of walking and cycling trails running alongside the railway to access the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape Heritage sites.
^Not only will this scheme help the county council to make Devon even greener by cutting congestion, but it could provide an economic boost for local tourism.^
The re-opening of the railway line and provision of a railway station at Tavistock are among the key transport proposals in the adopted structure plan, Devon to 2016, and the current West Devon Local Development Framework includes proposals for 250 homes next to the proposed railway station, south of the A390 Callington Road.
West Devon Borough Council last week voted for its core strategy proposals which included backing for a rail link ^in principle^ for Tavistock.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2009, 14:38:33 »

From the Travelwatch south west website newslog of 11th May:

http://www.travelwatchsouthwest.org/newslog110509.html

"Devon County Council enters joint venture to reopen passenger rail line

Devon County Council has agreed to take a twenty per cent stake in a limited liability partnership which has been established to attempt to re-open the railway line for passenger trains from Bere Alston to Tavistock, a distance of six kilometres ^ the remaining eighty per cent stake is held by Kilbride Properties. The main funding source for re-opening the railway is expected to be a levy on the sales of new homes to be built on the south side of Tavistock. Devon County Council already owns part of the trackbed and plans to use a Transport and Works Act order to acquire the remainder of the required land and the powers to restore the railway service. The joint venture also intends to construct a cycleway/footpath parallel to the railway. "
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 23, 2009, 10:13:01 »

Well andrewr's request for Coffee Shop members to vote may have worked (some coffee shop members may have voted NO) but the poll has now closed.

It's in the Poll History at

http://www.tavistock-today.co.uk/index.cfm

Well done I say, maybe I can take a train though Shillamill Tunnel in the future, when I walked through on an arranged visit the tunnel was home to a load of Boats.

Must have been a High tide Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2009, 21:02:19 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), a video news report this evening:

Hopes rise to restore rail link

A plan to restore a Devon rail link closed in the 1960s has moved closer after Devon County Council bought the track bed from Tavistock to Bere Alston.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2009, 22:28:06 »

Saw it on Spotlight today! Looks like theyve got a long hard job clearing the line from what this shows! Still got to buy the rest of it though, which inlcudes Tavistock and the area leading up to it
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2009, 23:00:09 »

this is really exciting news, it shows clear confidence from dcc
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2009, 18:58:49 »

Details at http://blogs.channel4.com/4homes/2009/07/14/tonights-property-snakes-ladders-the-old-tavistock-railway-station/

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2009, 19:47:35 »

There seems to be an action group forming in Tavistock opposed to the proposed developments,including the reopening of the railway,outlined by WDBC recently.They have called a parish poll for 13th August[see their website www.protectthetavyvalley.com] and are backed by Tavistock town council.I think that many of this group were involved in a successful campaign to overturn a proposal by WDBC to build a new Sainsbury's in Tavistock,so they are not to be underestimated.If any readers of this post are in Tavistock,or know somebody who will be, on August 13th,it may be a good idea to get to the poll and vote for the developments.Although parish polls are not binding on the planning inspectorate,a heavy vote against the proposals could have a possible influence on the outcome.

View Profile Email
« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2009, 19:04:30 »

There seems to be an action group forming in Tavistock opposed to the proposed developments,including the reopening of the railway,outlined by WDBC recently.They have called a parish poll for 13th August[see their website www.protectthetavyvalley.com] and are backed by Tavistock town council.I think that many of this group were involved in a successful campaign to overturn a proposal by WDBC to build a new Sainsbury's in Tavistock,so they are not to be underestimated.If any readers of this post are in Tavistock,or know somebody who will be, on August 13th,it may be a good idea to get to the poll and vote for the developments.Although parish polls are not binding on the planning inspectorate,a heavy vote against the proposals could have a possible influence on the outcome.

if they win i will personally head a plan for a 6 lane motorway threw there back gardens!!  Angry
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2009, 19:46:23 »

if they win i will personally head a plan for a 6 lane motorway threw there back gardens!!  Angry

If you do, I think I'll call the Punctuation Police! (or more accurately the "Garda Grammattica") Wink Tongue
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2009, 19:50:34 »

If you do, I think I'll call the Punctuation Police! (or more accurately the "Garda Grammattica") Wink Tongue

Don't forget to call the 'Syntax Stasi' as well Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.

View Profile Email
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2009, 20:14:46 »

Cry
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2009, 20:29:31 »

In his haste to post in support of the campaign to restore the rail link to Tavistock, and express concern over this latest attempt to block it, relex109 may have overlooked some spelling, grammar or syntax errors.

However, I do applaud his enthusiasm and support for the campaign!  Wink Cheesy Grin

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2009, 20:49:22 »

...I do applaud his enthusiasm and support for the campaign!  Wink Cheesy Grin

Ditto. Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: