Lochluichart new station opens (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 07:27:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[153] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[36] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MTLS Fare Strike to go National?  (Read 2823 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2009, 18:51:13 »

MTLS (More Train Less Strain) are looking at a National Fare strike in protest at high rail fares:

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/travelandtransport/New-rail-fare-strike-warning/article-616067-detail/article.html

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 18:57:42 »

I don't agree in fare strikes, although rail fares are too high. Something should be done!
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 19:12:01 »

I don't agree in fare strikes, although rail fares are too high. Something should be done!
There are "leave the car at home" days so why not "don't take the train" days?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 21:06:03 »

People in the Home Counties don't really have a choice! The railways have a monopoly for many. Why? - because you'd be mad to drive into London!

D/M - I was against fare strikes. But the prospect of 35% fare rises in Kent FOR NO BENEFITS (and in most cases less) angers me, and a fare strike seems the only way to get TOCs (Train Operating Company)/ the gov to listen.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:34:56 »

If there is another fare strike please can people realise that it is not about getting away without paying or cheating the system or putting a dent in FGW (First Great Western)'s farebox or having an excuse to cowards rebel and break the law when part of a larger group, it is about getting publicity and embarassing the TOCs (Train Operating Company)/DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) into providing a decent and affordable public service.

This means that it is not a failure if most people buy a ticket just in case, and that whilst staff are perfectly entitled to pursue/fine/prosecute/etc anyone without a ticket for any reason (being part of a political protest doesn't excuse law breaking) please don't lump them together in your mind with the usual fare-dodging scrotes.

The saddest thing about the last farestrike is that it damaged the realtionship between the passenger and rail staff and the morale of both groups (I think some of the postings on this site would be evidence of that).  We ought to be united against a common enemy.

So, any passenger taking part in a further strike should go out of the way to be especially nice to any FGW staff that they encounter - if you are prepared to break the law to make a political point then you should be prepared to take the consequences and therefore should cooperate honestly with any RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) trying to give you a penalty fare or take your details.  If you believe in what you are doing you should be proud of your actions not underhand or evasive about them. If you are asked for a ticket and you haven't got one politely say so.  If you asked for a penalty fare, politely pay it.  If you are asked for your name and address politely give it (why not have it ready written out on a piece of paper to be especially extra nice and helpful to the RPI?)

My advice to staff on duty that day would be whatever they personally think of the strike - please do not take it personally.  I know that many of you disapprove of what it at the root the encouragement of law breaking - but it is not aimed at you.  the strike is not designed to make your life more difficult or to defraud your employer.  It is aimed at getting the media to wake up to how unfairly the railway is treated by the Government.  You should do your job as normal dealing with fare evaders as your normally would neither turning a blind eye nor being especially vindictive against them. and being expecially polite as you do your job. 

Everyone should make an effort to smile.  It really makes a difference

We have to make it as civilised protest as possible.  The media will love it (witness the Stansted protest - the papers where full of stuff about how it was polite middle class middle Englanders in revolt; and a civilised protest will worry the government much more because they will rnot be able to write it off as being done by the "usual rentamob" but will realise that it is being made by the kind of people who are likely to be bothered to vote)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 11:53:32 by Tim » Logged
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 15:37:50 »

Well said Tim

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 17:48:45 »

I'll second that.

Some of the clips I saw of the last strike were appalling as far as staff abuse was concerned.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: