Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 02:55:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[100] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[58] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[37] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrexham & Shropshire - their rise and fall (merged topic)  (Read 33856 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 11:09:53 »

1. Why can a train pulled by a DVT(resolve) not go through certain platforms at new street but can with a loco?  And whats the major difference between them?

2. Why d they have the weirdest path ever - in through solihull - loop out east, back in through new street, out again to the M6 and then into wolverhampton

I will try and get an answer to your first question as I know someone who might know the answer.

As for routes through and around Birmingham W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) drivers know virtually every way from Leamington to Wolverhampton. Apart maybe from Aston to New Street (Proof House Junction) which is the other leg of the circuit through New Street and the Soho Loop.

I believe on a Sunday they even use the Stour Valley direct from Wolverhampton to New Street.

As other have said Networkrail have cobbled togther paths using different combinations of routes to get them across Birmingham.

One of the of the major problems for W&S is that with the loss of the Snow Hill to Wolverhampton LL,  GW (Great Western) direct route,  is that coming from Leamington W&S are forced to go LNW to Wolverhapton either via Coventry or Bordesley (part Midland). If you go via Bordesley there is no way of avoiding New Street if you go via Coventry then you can go via Stechford to Aston and the Grand Trunk. via Bescot.

There is very vague talk of a link from the Soho Loop to the Kidderminster line from Snow Hill where they cross, but don't hold your breath. The other link which was also proposed was from the Midland Derby Line North East to the LNW Stechford Aston Line avoiding New Street. There was to be a station at the junction to be called Birmingham Heartlands which would be a major  interchange to relieve pressure on New Street by allowing through passengers to change at Heartlands rather than New Street. Thus it  would allow South Coast  to NW Cross Countries to avoid New Street and also allow interchange with the SW to NE Cross Countries which will avoid New Street  via the Camp Hill line plus local interchange with LNW Coventry, International Wolverhampton trains. There would also have  been  local services to New Street via the Midland.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 02:33:57 »

Pictures of the first set (at long last) on a test working here http://www.nwrail.org.uk/ click on the noticeboard link.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 13:49:25 »

Shame the livery with have to be replaced at the end of the year with Chiltern's!
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 23:49:40 »

Travelled with WSMR (Wrexham, Shropshire and Marylebone Railway) from Tame Bridge Parkway to Banbury on Sunday, couldn't fault them!
Chicken lunch was delicious in first class.
Only thing that was a bit bizarre was thinking I'd seen the crew somewhere before, then realised it was their photos on the WSMR website!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 18:38:40 »

I would like to try W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) First Class out sometime, but getting to Tame Bridge Parkway is very awkward for me (and I'll actually want a decent stint in the capital). But ^74 is a lot of money for a return trip. (even if this is good value/ cheap compared to other operators) I would have to return in standard to make it ^43.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 19:50:23 »

According to Wikiepdia, DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) have DVTs(resolve) and one is painted in the Chiltern livery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_Van_Trailer#Current_Status

Of course, Wiki can't be 100% trusted, but it is normally reliable.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 01:03:22 »

I would like to try W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) First Class out sometime, but getting to Tame Bridge Parkway is very awkward for me (and I'll actually want a decent stint in the capital). But ^74 is a lot of money for a return trip. (even if this is good value/ cheap compared to other operators) I would have to return in standard to make it ^43.

Don't forget to factor in the 2 course meal (or 3 courses for an extra ^3.95) available inclusive in first class. I've sampled this catering option and it is excellent. Not quite up to FGW (First Great Western)'s Pullman dining, but, that ain't inclusive! The food and drink on offer would probably cost ^15-^20 in a restaurant, so times that by two and the advance purchase first class fares make even more sense. (Even without a railcard!!). Maybe try it one way in combination with a Chiltern advance fare to/from Marylebone on the other journey leg.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 17:35:57 »

Good idea! Use advances: go down on Chiltern from Kidderminster, and return to Tame Bridge on an Advance.

It'll just be finding a time to do it...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 19:55:02 »

Pictures of the first set (at long last) on a test working here http://www.nwrail.org.uk/ click on the noticeboard link.

Only about a year late! The train looks pretty impressive in the picture - mind you, even a Pacer would look good crossing that viaduct!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 20:07:22 »

There's also a good picture on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News site, at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/uk_enl_1252756453/html/1.stm

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 20:12:05 »

http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/p60895278.html
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 10:22:20 »

Wow what a high quality refurb. W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) standard class looks better than many TOCs (Train Operating Company) 1st class!
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 14:25:13 »

Some intelligent thought's gone into the placing of the plug sockets, too. Nice.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 16:22:38 »

Agreed. Placing the power sockets at right angles to the norm is a nice touch. Someone at WSMR (Wrexham, Shropshire and Marylebone Railway) realised that phone chargers etc are often larger than a standard 'plug'. Good work.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 17:05:13 »

Agreed. Placing the power sockets at right angles to the norm is a nice touch. Someone at WSMR (Wrexham, Shropshire and Marylebone Railway) realised that phone chargers etc are often larger than a standard 'plug'. Good work.

They've done that because Chiltern have them like this already. Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: