Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:43 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 08:42:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[97] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[69] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[53] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[36] underground plans for Bristol update.
[25] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail line hit by driver shortage. (BBC News 08/11/09)  (Read 15138 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2009, 09:42:47 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

The Sunday service on an entire rail route into London's Kings Cross has been cancelled because there are not enough drivers to operate the trains.

First Capital Connect, which runs the Great Northern service, said not enough staff had volunteered to work overtime. It is the second company this year to be hit by a train driver shortage.

The union Aslef strongly denied it had orchestrated what amounted to an unofficial strike but said its members' choice not to work was understandable.

Pay talks

First Capital Connect (FCC (First Capital Connect)) needs around 80 drivers to run the Great Northern service from Peterborough and King's Lynn. But as is normal in the rail industry, the weekend shifts are staffed voluntarily by drivers willing to work overtime. This weekend, just a handful have offered.

BBC transport correspondent Tom Symonds pointed out that Aslef is currently in pay talks with their employer and has already rejected two offers. The union strongly denied it had effectively orchestrated an unofficial strike but said the company had been running recently on what it called "a lot of goodwill". The company's other service, Thameslink, has also been affected by the work-to-rule.

FCC said it strongly advised against travelling by rail unless absolutely necessary, and added that tickets would be accepted on alternative bus and rail routes in areas including London's Liverpool Street and King's Cross, King's Lynn, Cambridge, Huntingdon, Bedford, Hitchin, Stevenage, Luton Airport and Peterborough.

In a statement, FCC said: "We are continuing to work towards a resolution to these problems and to provide alternative transport where possible and will post any updates on our website. We regret any inconvenience this disruption will cause."

FCC, which employs around 600 drivers, said it was disappointed that there would be hardly any Great Northern trains on Remembrance Sunday. It said it had contacted local officials of the Royal British Legion to warn them of disruption.

A similar refusal to work weekends in September caused disruption to another train company, London Midland.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 10:36:30 »

i suspect this will be more common,probably the same will happen on FGW (First Great Western) in the near future,not with drivers but other staff like conductors,engineering and station.for the same reasons as FCC (First Capital Connect) as the pay offer is the same across first group.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 13:12:47 »

Typical, whosoever chose this date for industrial action, or should I say co-ordinated withdrawal of voluntary attendance, should be ashamed, to disrupt even a single persons attendance in Whitehall on Remembrance Sunday is unforgivable.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 15:16:27 »

That was my thought.  A totally inappropriate day to take action.   
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 18:49:02 »

agreed it is an innapropriate day to do these things but the drivers and union will see it as job done because of the publicity it got in press/media.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 19:16:41 »

Said before and will say it again - I doubt many of the travelling public will have support for this type of action.

Sundays should be part of the normal roster - end of.  Anyone who objects should be made to pack their bags - there are plenty of people out there who could be trained to do the job.  i'd rather suffer delays and cancellations because free loaders are hoofed than this unofficial industrial action.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 20:17:06 »

Sundays should be part of the normal roster - end of.  Anyone who objects should be made to pack their bags - there are plenty of people out there who could be trained to do the job.  i'd rather suffer delays and cancellations because free loaders are hoofed than this unofficial industrial action.

Whilst it isn't quite as blissfully simple as that, I do agree that Sundays should be brought in as part of the rostered working week for all 'wages' staff - in exchange for a modest increase in pay to compensate what they would lose out on. Now that a second TOC (Train Operating Company) has fallen foul of this in the space of a couple of months, I would expect that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and TOC management will be keen to sort this loophole (which has existed for years, by the way) before it gets farcical. You can also expect the Unions to be as obstinate as possible to change.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 20:23:34 »

Whilst it isn't quite as blissfully simple as that, I do agree that Sundays should be brought in as part of the rostered working week for all 'wages' staff - in exchange for a modest increase in pay to compensate what they would lose out on. Now that a second TOC (Train Operating Company) has fallen foul of this in the space of a couple of months, I would expect that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and TOC management will be keen to sort this loophole (which has existed for years, by the way) before it gets farcical. You can also expect the Unions to be as obstinate as possible to change.

Which is not exactly an advert for the dinosaurs that are unions

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Cornish Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 20:43:09 »

Well a certain TOC (Train Operating Company) not far from FCC (First Capital Connect) the train crews would almost sell their Granny to work extra Sundays !! (and they do not get double pay before anyone asks.)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 20:46:33 »

TOCs want to keep Sundays out of the working week but make staff contractually obligated to work their booked Sundays.  Pay deals have been thrown out due to TOCs trying to change Sunday arrangements, so I doubt very much this will change in the future.  (And I am one of those that would happily be contracted to work every Sunday if possible.)

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 21:12:28 »

No, it's not. But the Unions aren't in the business of advertising. They are in the business of getting the best deal for their members. Their interest in good relationships with TOC (Train Operating Company)'s, Government and to a large extent the public is always secondary. That's the case with most of the Unions, and, whether you like it or not, that's not going to change unless their is some major change in employment law. I can't see that happening any time soon.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 22:16:28 »

No, it's not. But the Unions aren't in the business of advertising. They are in the business of getting the best deal for their members. Their interest in good relationships with TOC (Train Operating Company)'s, Government and to a large extent the public is always secondary. That's the case with most of the Unions, and, whether you like it or not, that's not going to change unless their is some major change in employment law. I can't see that happening any time soon.

i'd love someone in my industry to join a union (even the non contractors - the permies I work with) to join a union and see how far they get......laughed all the way to their P45 I would guess

Its only the ex state run industries that have reasonable unionization.........

Union for software engineers?  Project managers?

dog box

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 12:09:34 »

looks like you might be just talking yourself into a new role here fallen angel...lol

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 12:11:51 »

i'd love someone in my industry to join a union (even the non contractors - the permies I work with) to join a union and see how far they get......laughed all the way to their P45 I would guess

Very true. It's a complicated situation. It's virtually impossible for sectors that have not had historical unionisation to get a proper established union up and running. If you join the railway as a front line member of staff then you join one of the three unions. A tiny fraction of people don't, but not enough to cause any cracks to appear.

Many organisations won't recognise unions, but if it was realistic that all the permanent staff in your industry did join a union then effectively they would be forced to recognise them and working conditions and pay would most likely improve - that's why people are in unions. But it's strength in numbers, so If only a few maverick's joined then they would most likely be 'laughed all the way to their P45' - albeit a long and protracted laugh involving an industrial tribunal and legal battles galore if the individual has any sense.

An interesting anomaly in the railway industry was that Heathrow Express staff weren't being recognised by their employees (BAA) when they joined a union initially. This changed over time (ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) in 2003 and the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) in 2007) and was basically down to the weight in number of people who joined: http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=100944&int1stParentNodeID=89732

The railway industry (excluding white collar workers), along with postal workers and some others are in a stronger position that most unions as the wholesale withdrawal of their labour has an immediate and costly effect on the business they work for.

Here's a link to a weighty research document that confirms the effect being in a union has: http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/briefingpapers_bp143/

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 13:41:39 »

Many organisations won't recognise unions, but if it was realistic that all the permanent staff in your industry did join a union then effectively they would be forced to recognise them and working conditions and pay would most likely improve

Nope - because they'd just be laid off first and then the like of me brought in as an independent. 

Also, it would take the "good" contractors/employees to join otherwise the union staff would be known as the poor quality contractors - and the good ones will not join because we do not want to see our daily rates cut which we negotiate ourselves just to protect the dross

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: