10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 12:49:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[275] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[81] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[74] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[59] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[22] underground plans for Bristol update.
[15] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman dies after cars struck by train at Moreton-on-Lugg in Herefordshire (16 January 2010)  (Read 18815 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 16, 2010, 22:06:00 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

A woman has died after her car and another vehicle were hit by a train on a level crossing in Herefordshire.

The 50-year-old, who lived locally, died in hospital after being airlifted from the scene of the crash which happened at about 1030 GMT.

Her husband was also injured, as were a mother and daughter in a second car.

A spokesman for British Transport Police said it was investigating the cause of the collision which happened near the village of Moreton-on-Lugg.

The woman's husband suffered pelvic and shoulder injuries and is being treated at Hereford County Hospital.

The mother and daughter suffered minor injuries, West Midlands Ambulance Service said.

The driver of the 0830 GMT Arriva Trains Wales train from Manchester Piccadilly to Milford Haven was checked by paramedics at the scene while a number of passengers were treated for shock.

It is not yet known how the cars came to be on the track. The level crossing has barriers and lights and there is a signal box nearby.

The investigation involves British Transport Police, West Mercia Police and Network Rail while the Rail Accidents Investigating Branch has been informed.

The train line has remained closed and will remain out of service while investigations take place and the vehicles are removed, police said.

Ch Insp Kevin Marshall, of the British Transport Police, said: "The railway is a very dangerous place. But on this occasion I'm keeping a really open mind about what happened."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grandsire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:14:23 »

The photo on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website seems to show that the barriers are full length ones i.e cover the whole road. Also there is a signal box right on the crossing.  So maybe on this occasion it is not the car driver(s) who are at fault.
IanC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 15:01:34 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

The driver of the 0830 GMT Arriva Trains Wales train from Manchester Piccadilly to Milford Haven was checked by paramedics at the scene while a number of passengers were treated for shock.

The train line has remained closed and will remain out of service while investigations take place and the vehicles are removed, police said.

Terrible news to hear. I was on the 0750 CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) -> MAN so wouldn't know how I would've coped if it was indeed the train I was on was involved in an accident.

On my return journey the 2030 MAN -> CDF the train got as far as Shrewsbury, with a replacement bus taking us to stations in between to Hereford. A local (Hereford) Taxi then took onward passengers to Newport/Cardiff, with what would've been a 00:13 arrival being a 01:45 arrival.

As we were waiting at Hereford station for the Taxi, there were a few Network Rail pick-up tracks in the station car park.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 15:45:01 »

The photo on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website seems to show that the barriers are full length ones i.e cover the whole road. Also there is a signal box right on the crossing.  So maybe on this occasion it is not the car driver(s) who are at fault.

That certainly was my initial thought when I saw that picture. Neither barrier appeared damaged either.   

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 18:34:23 »

I know that level crossing - its on a decent route for avoiding the centre of hereford on race days if you want to head south of there

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
dmutony

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 19:53:54 »

having just travelled CTR-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) i decided to go via CRE» (Crewe - next trains) and BHM as the line at hereford is still closed. normally cath the holyhead-cardiff getting of at NWP then going to BRI as its only one change.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 20:27:07 »

I'm just grateful for two things:

1. My tutorial was cancelled on saturday and I did not have to try to get to liverpool

2. Its north of Shelwick Junction so at least m WOStrain in the morning will run

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 14:16:52 »

'Barriers up' in Herefordshire level crossing crash. From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

The safety barriers were up at a level crossing in Herefordshire where a woman was killed by a passing train, British Transport Police have said.

Jane Harding, 52, was a passenger in one of two cars on the crossing when a train crashed into it in Moreton-on-Lugg, Herefordshire, on Saturday.

Her husband was driving and suffered serious pelvis and shoulder injuries.

A mother and daughter in the second car had minor injuries. It is not yet known how the cars came to be on the tracks.

Police said the crossing had been checked and was operating normally now, although drivers were urged to take care due to flooding on nearby roads.

The line between Hereford and Shrewsbury had been closed over the weekend while investigations were carried out but re-opened on Monday.

The crash took place on Saturday morning and involved the 0830 GMT Arriva Trains Wales train from Manchester Piccadilly to Milford Haven.

A number of passengers, a signalman and the train's driver were checked by paramedics for shock.

British Transport Police, West Mercia Police and Network Rail are investigating the cause of the crash, and the Rail Accident Investigation Branch has been informed.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 17:13:43 »

That's confirming what seemed obvious from the photo (and the lack of the normal reproachful comments from the authorities immediately after the accident about the dangers of crossings if not properly used).

It's tempting to speculate on the cause but I guess we must wait for any statements from the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch).
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 15:18:35 »

I agree with John R, very suspicious, by now there would normally be lots of rumours circualting.

This very sad event seems to have gone very quite.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 18:46:13 »

Two quotes, from those BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news items:

Ch Insp Kevin Marshall, of the British Transport Police, said: "The railway is a very dangerous place. But on this occasion I'm keeping a really open mind about what happened."

Police said the crossing had been checked and was operating normally now ...
(my emphasis in bold)

I'm keeping a close eye on the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) website, but they've not yet confirmed that they are investigating this tragic incident.  Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 23:25:11 »

Two trains?
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 23:41:04 »

Two trains?
Only one involved from what I've seen.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 00:45:01 »

I agree with Ollie: one train.  Lips sealed

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:06:03 »

Train in the other direction shortly before?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: