16:13 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
Delayed
17:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 14:34:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[243] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[71] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[56] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[52] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman dies after cars struck by train at Moreton-on-Lugg in Herefordshire (16 January 2010)  (Read 18817 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 14:50:13 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Signalman suspended in Herefordshire crash inquiry

A signalman has been suspended by Network Rail as part of its inquiry into a fatal crash on a level crossing in Herefordshire.
Jane Harding, 52, a hairdresser from Marden, was a passenger in one of two cars on the crossing when a train crashed into it on Saturday.
Safety barriers were up at the crossing at Moreton-on-Lugg, British Transport Police have said.
Network Rail said the suspension was a matter of routine in such cases.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 14:52:24 »

Network Rail said the suspension was a matter of routine in such cases.

But publicising the fact isn't......

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 14:19:14 »

From the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) website:

Investigation into a fatal accident on a level crossing at Moreton-on-Lugg, Herefordshire, 16 January 2010

The RAIB is carrying out an investigation into a fatal accident that occurred at Moreton-on-Lugg level crossing, Herefordshire, on the railway between Shrewsbury and Hereford, on 16 January 2010.

The accident occurred at about 10:30 hrs, when the 08:30 hrs Manchester Piccadilly to Milford Haven train collided with two cars on Moreton-on-Lugg level crossing. This crossing has full-width lifting barriers controlled from the adjacent signal box. One of the two people in one of the cars was killed and the other was seriously injured, and the two people in the other car suffered minor injuries. There were no casualties on the train, which suffered some damage.

The RAIB^s preliminary examination indicates that the level crossing barriers were raised as the train was approaching the crossing. There is no evidence that the actions of the motorists or the driving of the train contributed to the accident.

The RAIB^s investigation is independent of any investigations by the British Transport Police, or by the safety authority.

The RAIB will publish a report, including any recommendations to improve safety, at the conclusion of its investigation. This report will be available on the RAIB website.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 16:12:39 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 16:01:15 »

Oh dear.

Just a technical question, is there not some kind of interlocking to prevent the signaller making a mistake (signals will only clear for trains if road barriers detected down)?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 16:02:38 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Network Rail apology over Moreton level crossing death

The family of a woman killed on a level crossing have received a "full and complete apology" from Network Rail.

Jane Harding, 52, died at the Herefordshire crossing when a train crashed into her vehicle on Saturday.

Safety barriers were up at the crossing at Moreton-on-Lugg, British Transport Police said.

"We consider that the accident is most likely to have been due in some way to Network Rail," a Network Rail spokeswoman said. "Network Rail has extended a full and complete apology to the family. We would also like to extend this apology to everyone who has been so deeply affected by the accident and to the community of Moreton-on-Lugg."

A signalman has been suspended by Network Rail as part of its inquiry into the crash, although the company said this was routine.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 16:11:47 by chris from nailsea » Logged

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 16:32:44 »

Anyone know answer to Tim's question re interlocking.

My intial answer would be yes otherwise it's an acident waiting to happen.

Is the crossing controlled from the same box as the trains? It would appear so from various reference books I have.

If so I would expect the signals, barriers to be interlocked.   
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 20:00:14 »

Yes there is interlocking but I was nosing around for background material.  It seems that for signaller controlled and observed crossings there is an override.  I'll see if I can find it.  I think it was on the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) site but that's down this evening. 

This is technically a Category 3 SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) is it not?  Allegedly the train passed the distant at green and was only halted by a late red home signal.  The photos show that the train stopped only a short distance after the crossing which confirms that it cannot have been travelling very quickly.  This is a 80-90 mph stretch is it not?

Looking at the timetables there is no other train scheduled to pass shortly before or after this one so it's not a second train case. 
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 20:14:39 »

From the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) website:

The RAIB^s preliminary examination indicates that the level crossing barriers were raised as the train was approaching the crossing. There is no evidence that the actions of the motorists or the driving of the train contributed to the accident.

The wording says that the barriers were raised as the train approached the crossing.  Which would suggest that they were lowered and then raised up too soon.  The barriers can only be raised after the signals have been replaced to danger.  It would seem that the signals were returned to danger after the train had passed the distant showing clear.  So the train was going full speed and came to the stop signal at danger and was unable to stop in time.  Bad luck seems to have played a part - a few seconds earlier the distant signal would have been at caution - a few seconds later the train would have cleared the crossing.  RAIB are focussing on why the barriers were raised before the train had gone past the crossing.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 09:54:27 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1245212/It-fault-Network-Rail-apologises-family-woman-killed-level-crossing-barriers-raised.html
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 13:45:36 »

If as Super TM(resolve) says the signal was replaced in front of the train then I would expect that there would be some form of time delay before the barriers could be raised.

If as welshaman suggests there's an overrride or the emergency barrier raise then I would expect it to be behind a break glass or other obstacle to prevent accidental activation.

As super tm says bad timing, reminds me of the Hull accident of 1927.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 14:13:43 by eightf48544 » Logged
grandsire

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 17:51:42 »

My recollection of the circumstances of the 1927 Hull accident is that the interlocking failed because  signalman 1 put the signal back to danger before the whole train had passed the signal -  whilst signalman 2 (in the samebox) was setting up a path for a separate train at that moment.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 18:33:35 »

Details of the Hull crash in 1927 are available on the Railways Archive site:

"This disastrous head-on collision was caused by the Scarborough train, after acceptance had been given and the proper signals lowered for it to proceed on C outgoing road past West Parade Junction signal-box, being diverted on to B facing ingoing road, upon which the Withernsea train was approaching the terminal station. I can recollect no case of an accident having occurred in similar circumstances."

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 23:40:43 »

From the Ledbury Reporter:

Residents fear more tragedies on crossing

Residents fear that another accident is imminent on a level crossing where a 52-year-old woman died last weekend.

Jane Harding was killed when the black Volkswagen Touareg she was travelling in was in collision with a train at Moreton-on-Lugg, near Hereford, on Saturday morning.

Many drivers are now too scared to pass over the railway tracks, believing the level crossing is unsafe.

Mrs Harding^s husband Mark, who was driving the Volkswagen, has told friends the barriers were down for five minutes, blocking the road across the line. But when they lifted, without a train passing, he crossed the railway into the path of the Manchester to Milford Haven train.

Mr Harding sustained serious shoulder and pelvic injuries and was taken to Hereford County Hospital. He has since been released and is recovering at home.

A gold Vauxhall Astra was also hit, injuring a woman and her 12-year-old daughter.

Those working near the level crossing have backed up Mr Harding^s claim, saying he would only have gone on to the tracks when the barrier was raised.

Mike Greene, managing director of ABC Print in Moreton-on-Lugg, said: ^It is very shocking and no one can see how it happened. When the barriers go up, you automatically think that it is OK to go. Two cars crossed the line from different sides of the track at the same time, so obviously something went wrong. Until I have answers I am not going to use the crossing.^

Employee Phil Watts said: ^I have no intention of using it for the time being, as the accident is something that you will never forget.^

The manned crossing, which underwent maintenance work in the autumn, was re-opened at 3.30am on Monday after safety checks took place.

But Moreton-on-Lugg resident Roger Newton claims that one of the barriers was not working properly at 9am on Monday. ^I was walking towards the crossing when I noticed that the barriers were malfunctioning,^
he said. ^A Network Rail employee even had to walk across the track and physically push it up and down. Even a member of the public had to help out.^

Mr Newton added that traffic had to stop while the problem was sorted and was only allowed to go across the line when the barriers were working again.

^The signalman went back into his box and started pressing the buttons and everything went back to normal,^ said Mr Newton. ^I am staggered that the barriers were not working again just five-and-a-half hours after it was reopened and just two days after a fatal accident.^

Rachel Blackman, spokesman for Network Rail, said the crossing would only have been re-opened after an independent regulator had checked it and deemed it safe.

She added that she was unaware of any problems with the barriers after they had re-opened.

Brian Price, spokesman for British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)), said that it was unclear how long their investigation would last. He said: ^The investigation has the full co-operation of Network Rail, train company Arriva Trains Wales and other industry partners, and BTP officers are following a number of lines of enquiry to establish the sequence of events which led to the crash.^

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 09:45:57 »

The wording says that the barriers were raised as the train approached the crossing.  Which would suggest that they were lowered and then raised up too soon.  The barriers can only be raised after the signals have been replaced to danger. 

One could imagine that a system could be quite easily designed so that a delay is introduced between the signal returning to danger and the barriers going up. 

However, it is possible that the design of the system and the actions of the signaller were influenced by a desire to get the barriers raises as soon as possible after the passage of the train so that the road reopened.   in my experience as a motorist, LC (Level Crossing) barriers are lowered several minutes before the train but are always raised after  the train very quickly (in fact so quickly that I would fine it hard to believe that there would have been time for a train to be stopped by a red signal or for the train to have been detected in teh next section). 
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 21:26:49 »

However, it is possible that the design of the system and the actions of the signaller were influenced by a desire to get the barriers raises as soon as possible after the passage of the train so that the road reopened.

The train had not reached the crossing.  The timetable shows that there was no other train in the vicinity.

I've seen an account which says that the distant signal was clear.  The track curves to left as the train was approaching the crossing.  The home signal was red but by the time the driver saw it he was too close to stop before the crossing and the collision took place.

If indeed the signaller raised the barriers prematurely, it's difficult to understand why that might have occurred since he was overlooking the crossing and presumably knew where the train was. 

We'll just have to wait for the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: