Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 03 May 2024
- Around-the-world cruise staff member missing at sea
* Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
* Women crossing UK borders for abortions 'shocking'
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
23:06 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
Short Run
21:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Bristol Temple Meads
04/05/24 07:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
04/05/24 10:02 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 23:51:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[199] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[167] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[112] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[69] June to December 2024 Timetables
[26] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[22] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative arrangements when the last regional train is cancelled  (Read 14760 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:43:09 »

A question I was asked yesterday at Melksham station ... I *think* I know the answer but may I check up here please.

Scenario.  A group travelled from Melksham to Swindon on the 09:20 on a Saturday morning (return tickets) , spend the day there, took in a sporting event, met up with friends thereafter, and went back to the station to catch the 21:08 back home ... to find it cancelled.   So they take the next train as far as Chippenham, on the understanding that there will be some sort of replacement transport available from there.   However, they are told that "we only organise replacement buses for busy / mainline trains", and are advised that they may like to take a taxi, get a receipt, and write in to claim it back.

Now - that's as told to me.  It's one heck of a business writing in, waiting for payment which may or may not be made, and indeed travellers may not have enough cash (over 20 pounds) with them having bought their rail ticket which they think gets them back to Melksham and lots of other things during the day.

It is true that substitute buses are only organised where there are a number of people, and it is true that people have the option of taking a taxi off their own bat and then asking the rail operator to pay back for it. But shouldn't one of the alternative of (a) we will put you on the 22:26 bus or (b) we will get you to your final station by taxi be offered, both at no additional expense to the customer who has already paid?

It looks as though - in this case - these options were only going to be available to people who wear "in the know" and prepared to stand on their rights - and in my view that's cheeky (within the letter but not the spirit of the rules) when an advertised service, for which payment has already been made, is not available.  "If it happens again tonight, we won't use the train again" said one of the group - a great shame, as the line's there for the customers, going to improve for the customers, and it's a darned site more sensible for them to use the train than for them to drive after an early evening on the town!!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:25:31 »

If the rail operator would normally have to pay for a taxi or replacment bus if a train is canceled, I cannot see why the TOC (Train Operating Company) couldn't pay the taxi driver up-front to get the passengers home.

I seem to remember a taxi being supplied for myself and other members of my family to get back to Pembrokeshire from Swansea late one evening (I can't remember why, I think we must have been delayed on an earlier train from somewhere further east).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 14:17:06 »

When you buy a ticket you enter a contract with the rail company which means that they must get you from A to B by whatever means necessary. If they called the customer service number on a poster at the station then it should have been arranged for them. Failing that a taxi receipt should get your money back (albeit in vouchers)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 15:25:52 »

I was on a First Bus in Cornwall recently, it was late evening and the 2355 from Truro heading West was cancelled or heavily delayed. (I believe it  may have ran through at something like 0200) The Driver of the 18 bus was accepting train tickets and delayed his bus to ensure leaving the train station bus stop at 2355.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:24:04 »

Over the years I have twice missed the last Exmouth branch service from EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) due to a significant delay on the incoming mainline FGW (First Great Western) service.

On both occasions a taxi was organised without my having to part with any money; the taxi driver was given a document which presumably allowed the company concerned to claim back their costs.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 08:06:44 »

Thanks for those feedbacks - they rather confirm my view that some form of alternative transport as far as Melksham Station should have been offered - be it substitute bus or taxi - at no extra cost to the people who had already paid for transportation.   A seat on the scheduled bus about an hour later may have been sensible and acceptable too.  To only offer them the option to pay for a taxi themselves and reclaim really isn't right in the circumstances as told to me.

Again - qualified by "but I wasn't there" ... but strengthen by a very similar experience indeed that I had personally a few months back, and described on the forum.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Nibat

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 04:38:06 »

A taxi or a bus should have been organized, whether proactively as one already waiting at the station or on request from the passengers to the station staff.  In smaller stations staff have to ring Control and it would have been authorized straight away, in bigger stations they have the authority already to order taxis.

The policy is to get them as far as possible by train and then by other means from there.  I once had a group of about 15 teenagers travelling from Newquay to Bristol, the train to Par was cancelled so it was arranged to take them as far as Exeter on the last train and then a couple of taxis were organized from there.  In the example you quote some road transport should have been provided, the only thing I would say they did wrong was to travel to Chippenham without asking at Swindon first, and that's assuming when you say "on the understanding that there will be some sort of replacement transport available from there" they concluded that without speaking to anybody...

And even then something should have been arranged.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: