21:30 Cardiff Central to Frome
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
21:48 London Paddington to Swansea
22:49 London Paddington to Swansea
Delayed
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
17:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:22 Bristol Temple Meads to Portsmouth Harbour
20:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 19:51:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a timely warning  (Read 3135 times)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:14:58 »

WARNING - CHRISTMAS DRINK DRIVING

I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving. As you well know, some of us have been known to have had, um, brushes with the authorities on our way home from the odd social session over the years.

A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few Christmas drinks with some friends and had a few too many beers and some rather nice claret.

Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before - I took a bus home.

I arrived back safely and without incident, which was a real surprise since I had never driven a bus before and am not sure where I got this one from....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:26:21 »

Brilliant!

I'm stealing that.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:00:13 »

Good one  Grin

Meanwhile a free pint to the first person who spots a newspaper or press release which refers to a "Police drink drive campaign" rather than an anti-drink drive campaign!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:22:04 »

http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/cambs_olympic_star_backs_police_drink_drive_campaign_1_1741275#

One pint please!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:29:30 »

I knew it wouldn't take long.  Every year someone writes it......

One beer/cider voucher to BNM.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:34:45 »

Boom, boom!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 12:40:21 »

Great post Phil Tongue
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 18:06:37 »

A variation on Phil's story - with absolutely no suggestion of drinking being involved here - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Norwich bus driver takes son to hospital in double-decker

Riley was driven to hospital in his father's bus accompanied by a paramedic

A man had to drive his epileptic two-year-old son to hospital in his bus after an ambulance was delayed.

Bus driver Ross Cork was dropping passengers off in Norwich when he got a call his son Riley was having a fit. After calling his manager at Konectbus, he drove to his father's home where Riley was being treated by a paramedic.

Despite sending a rapid response vehicle, ambulance bosses confirmed an ambulance was not immediately available, as it was "extremely busy".

Mr Cork, 27, was driving the double-decker number five bus linking Queen's Hills, Costessey, with Norwich city centre when he received a call from his wife at about 10:30 GMT on Saturday. She told him Riley, who was being looked after by his grandfather Brian, was having a fit and needed to get to hospital.

"There was only one passenger on my bus but she overheard my conversation and she knows me," said Mr Cork. "She said, 'Don't worry about taking me to the next stop' and got off."

He arrived at his father's home in Devonshire Street, eight minutes later. "Luckily there was a parking space outside my dad's, but it was a bit tight getting there," he said. "At one point I only had an inch or so either side of the bus."

He found Riley on the floor of his father's house, wearing an oxygen mask and being treated by a paramedic. However, the paramedic could not take Riley to hospital because an ambulance had been delayed in Wymondham. "He said, 'Can we take your bus?'" said Mr Cork. "The paramedic carried Riley, and my father, brother-in-law and sister helped carry all the equipment on the bus and my wife got on board."

Mr Cork, then drove the three miles (5km) to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. "I did what most fathers would do. It just happened that I was in a double-decker bus," said Mr Cork. "Some people said I could have lost my job for what I did, but even if Konect hadn't helped me I'd have still done exactly the same. Without that bus I don't know what we'd have done."

Riley, who has suffered from fits for the past 18 months, has now been diagnosed with epilepsy and is recovering at home.

Steve Royal, operations manager for Konectbus, said: "I've worked on buses for 24 years but I can't recall anything like his. We're a small company and we know our staff and their circumstances. We try to help them as best we can in any eventuality. We put cover in place and were able to make the best of a crisis."

A spokeswoman for East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust said the emergency call had been received during an extremely busy period. "We immediately sent a paramedic in a rapid response vehicle who was with the family in two minutes, and because an ambulance wasn't immediately available this dad did exactly the right thing by taking the initiative as he did," she said.

"Our paramedic was on board to give assistance en-route should it have been necessary and to provide reassurance to the parents. It was good-hearted of the bus company to allow him to use the vehicle. We hope the little boy is making a good recovery."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: