Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 00:52:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[230] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[109] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[71] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[41] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[37] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[30] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Foilbules of the National Rail Enquiry Site  (Read 5267 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: December 28, 2012, 14:55:05 »

Whilst checking that Worcester still has a through Brighton train one of the other options I got was train to Padd then underground to Victoria and then:

17:17    London Victoria [VIC]    15    Hove [HOV]
   18:21    3    1h 04m    

null Seating Class Information
    null Cycle policy

Southern service from London Victoria to Littlehampton show calling points

Train    18:24    Hove [HOV]    1    Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN]
   18:28    2    0h 04m    

null Seating Class Information
    null Cycle policy

Southern service from Hove to Brighton (East Sussex)

Why change at Hove aren't there any through trains from Victoria at that time?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 15:23:23 »

Based on fastest journey

14:09 WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) -> PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) 16:27.
Allow 50 minutes until Victoria departure:
17:17 VIC -> Hove 18:21
18:24 Hove -> BTN 18:28

not
14:09 WOS -> PAD 16:27.
Allow 50 minutes until Victoria departure and then next direct train:
17:32 VIC -> BTN 18:35

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 16:59:53 »

out of interest can you go wos rdg waterloo brighton and not bother with tubes?
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 17:17:34 »

or even worcester reading gatwick brighton
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 17:24:08 »

out of interest can you go wos rdg waterloo brighton and not bother with tubes?

That would be allowed according to the Routeing Guide. And the shortest route, which is always allowed (subject to the routeing printed on the ticket*), actually avoids London altogether. This is Worcester-Oxford-Reading-Wokingham-Guildford-Redhill-Gatwick Airport-Brighton.

Full details of all the permitted routes between Worcester and Brighton can be seen here.

The possible routeings for a Worcester SH-Brighton fare are:
  • +Any Permitted
  • +Evesham/London
  • +Not Via Birmingham
  • Evesham/Stroud
  • Via Evesham

The '+' on a routeing permits travel via London, although you don't have to travel via London with a '+' routeing if another permitted route allowed by the ticket's routeing avoids the capital.  The '+' on a ticket's routeing includes travel on the underground between London terminuses.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 23:42:44 »

The '+' on a routeing permits travel via London, although you don't have to travel via London with a '+' routeing if another permitted route allowed by the ticket's routeing avoids the capital.  The '+' on a ticket's routeing includes travel on the underground between London terminuses.

I wonder how many potential passengers know that?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:14 »

I wonder how many potential passengers know that?
It is printed on the reverse of newer ticket stock.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 17:44:48 »

Except the trains from Gatwick Airport are awful (FCC (First Capital Connect)) and much slower than the VIC - BTN services. Which call London Victoria, Clapham Junction, East Croydon and Brighton.

Not sure CLJ counts as a Via London journey though? Route: NOT LONDON tickets are normally valid from Clapham Junction - Watford Junction via Kensington Olympia which was declassified as a London Routing Station quite some time ago.

Incidentally I am also informed that the Class 377 Dual Voltage Stock which have First Class Seating that is Declassified between Clapham Junction and Watford Junction. But not Milton Keynes and Watford Junction... Not sure on how that can be enforced if you sat in there at Kensington Olympia and then beyond Watford Junction... Roll Eyes Huh

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 19:58:55 »

Except the trains from Gatwick Airport are awful (FCC (First Capital Connect)) and much slower than the VIC - BTN services. Which call London Victoria, Clapham Junction, East Croydon and Brighton.
Half the FCC trains, so the same 2tph fast service from Victoria to Brighton only call at Gatwick Airport, Three Bridges and Haywards Heath additionally compared to the Southern service. They also run fast from London to East Croydon, from London Bridge rather than Victoria. A lot of the Bedford-Brighton services use 377s as well, identical to the stock used by Southern on their Brighton services.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 20:48:39 »

Half the FCC (First Capital Connect) trains, so the same 2tph fast service from Victoria to Brighton only call at Gatwick Airport, Three Bridges and Haywards Heath additionally compared to the Southern service. They also run fast from London to East Croydon, from London Bridge rather than Victoria. A lot of the Bedford-Brighton services use 377s as well, identical to the stock used by Southern on their Brighton services.

Indeed. Sorry, I'd forgotten about the FCC services which run fast Gatwick Airport - Brighton. My experience on that route is limited. But I remember when it was back in Class 319 Days and then state those poor trains were in made me think they needed a bit more than some TLC (three letter code ) (Tender Loving Care! - Not a Station Code Wink )

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 20:52:27 »

The 319s still frequent Gatwick and Brighton but are in dire need of TLC (three letter code ).  I actually felt ashamed to take a foreign friend on one of these from Bedford last year.  On this unit, each coach even had a different internal livery and paint job.  It was like a walkthrough of franchises over the years.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 21:02:08 »

They aren't great. They have all been done up inside now. For most think FGW (First Great Western) 150/1. They're smart enough but still use that nasty 2+3 BR (British Rail(ways)) seating.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 21:05:27 »

They've been done up so well that I didn't even notice, despite being a regular traveller through the Thameslink core.  Roll Eyes
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 21:10:58 »

The 319s still frequent Gatwick and Brighton but are in dire need of TLC (three letter code ).  I actually felt ashamed to take a foreign friend on one of these from Bedford last year.  On this unit, each coach even had a different internal livery and paint job.  It was like a walkthrough of franchises over the years.

I recall an old GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) Mk3 HST (High Speed Train) Carriage which was looking rather tired before it received the "Mallard Treatment" It had seating which i've seen in about 3 different TOC (Train Operating Company)'s HST sets (Including MML» (Midland Main Line. - about), Virgin XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and presumably BR (British Rail(ways)) with similar colours to Mk2 (Mark 2 coach) Carriage Standard Class Seating)

Not mention having WiFi with no power plugs... A certain Doh! moment... Grin

Personally, my favorite First Class Seating would have to be Midland Mainline when they refurbished their HST's. Not to mention Standard Class Passengers could get a complimentary Drink as well as Standard. Probably NX's best run InterCity Franchise (c2c being their best commuter I would say) NXEC (National Express East Coast), NXEA (National Express East Anglia) and CT were awful!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 21:17:38 »

London Bridge - Gatwick Airport (FCC) 28 mins
London Blackfriars - Gatwick Airport (FCC) 35 mins
London Victoria - Gatwick Airport (SN) 35 mins
London Victoria - Gatwick Airport (GX) 31 mins

I wouldn't call that much slower. And the stock used by FCC and SN is often the same (377). Only when a 319 turns up would I say the FCC stock is slightly worse. But when you get a 319/2 on a Bedford-Brighton you'll have 2+1 in 1st Class and plenty of tables in the 2+2 Standard. The more numerous 319/4s are 2+2 throughout 1st and Standard.

The 319/0s and 319/3s are Standard Class only and a mix of 2+2 and 2+3 and will rarely be seen at Gatwick, they being mostly confined to Luton-Sutton services.

I like 319s  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: