Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
02/05/24 05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 01:59:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[41] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[40] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Advance tickets - reduction in availability?  (Read 11365 times)
Glovidge

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2015, 17:08:26 »

I have noticed recently that there seems a distinct lack of opportunity in attaing Adv tickets for services from South Wales to Reading/ London even allowing for changes at Swindon eg trying to book a train for Thurs 30th Jul and only off-peak single tickets are available.

This is a pattern I have seen on a few occasions recently even when booking over a week in advance? Have FGW (First Great Western) purposefully reduced the availabilty of Advance tickets on this (or any other) route?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 17:18:04 »

I suspect the school holiday season has a lot to do with this.

Bear in mind Advances are used to fill seats that would otherwise go unsold - in other words, the number of seats exceeds the demand.

Higher demand for seats will mean fewer Advances need to be released to fill the seats
Glovidge

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 17:58:08 »

Appreciate that but it appears to have been this situation for awhile. Where in days of not too distant past I could book an advacne ticket 2 days ahead on unpopular daytime services these appear to be unavailable. Even if I try to book 2 weeks ahead the savings are not fantastic.

I'll report back in September but suspect FGW (First Great Western) have decided due to the popularity of the route they can make less adv tickets available.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 18:59:05 »

FGW (First Great Western) have steadily reduced Advance quotas over the past couple of years. Since being in a management contract after handing the keys back they've not had the fall back of revenue support from the government. That is another reason for reducing AP availability or increasing AP price points. You'll still see many seats available on quieter services which belies the oft quoted reason for lack of APs being solely down to demand.

I took the last FGW of a Saturday evening from Taunton to Bristol TM(resolve) a couple of weeks back. Looked a couple weeks before for AP availability. None, so had to buy walk up single.  Walked through entire train on the day and there were 100s of spare seats that could have been sold at an attractive AP price point.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 19:57:16 »

I took the last FGW (First Great Western) of a Saturday evening from Taunton to Bristol TM(resolve) a couple of weeks back. Looked a couple weeks before for AP availability. None, so had to buy walk up single.  Walked through entire train on the day and there were 100s of spare seats that could have been sold at an attractive AP price point.

I thought the whole idea of APs was to encourage users to travel on quieter services, if there had been enough room for all passengers from Taunton to Bristol on that given day then there would have been no benefit in offering cheaper tickets on the late evening service, all that would have done was given cheaper tickets to those who had already intended to travel. If they had offered an AP on that service for example at half the price of a standard single and 100 people who intended to travel anyway purchased AP tickets, they would have then needed a minimum of a further 100 additional passengers to make a profit on this deal.

I'm sure that whilst offering APs does attract a handful of more customers (who would otherwise not travel by train) this probably doesn't cover the money lost from those using APs who would have needed to travel by train anyway.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 16:33:30 »

This morning I looked for a Advance 1st class single from Plymouth to Reading on 21st September - almost a month away - cheapest I could find was ^100.50 - that's roughly 3 times what it would have been a year ago booking this far out......whether it's the reduction in capacity or quota this seems ridiculous.

Meanwhile a National Express single to Reading at a similar time I want to travel with the same restrictions, taking an hour or so longer is available for ^15.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 16:38:39 by TaplowGreen » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 16:39:07 »

SWell, if they have empty seats at travel time, the rates will reduce....until they get a revised feel for how many seats are being unfilled, it will be hit & miss for a while - don't forget they open *12* weeks ahead, so that date has been sale well over a month already
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 16:52:28 »

SWell, if they have empty seats at travel time, the rates will reduce....until they get a revised feel for how many seats are being unfilled, it will be hit & miss for a while - don't forget they open *12* weeks ahead, so that date has been sale well over a month already

.............doesn't that sort of defeat the point of encouraging people to buy tickets well in advance to get the cheapest available (....clue being in the word "Advance")?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 18:28:41 »

Yes, so much so that the allocation probably sold out well before youvstarted looking?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 18:29:53 »

It's also the weekend they go off to Uni....
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 19:33:56 »

..and you're comparing 1st class with a coach journey

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 19:56:08 »

Just looked ahead into October and Mondays do seem to be pricier.  On a Tuesday I have found early afternoon departures for ^59.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 20:35:52 »

Mondays & Fridays are always the priciest of the week generally as demand is higher. So are flights
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 20:42:29 »

.............doesn't that sort of defeat the point of encouraging people to buy tickets well in advance to get the cheapest available (....clue being in the word "Advance")?

I don't think that is "the point". Selling tickets early has no significant value to the TOC (Train Operating Company) in itself. It's just the main factor in a process that makes it possible to sell cheap tickets and full-price ones a well. It has to pull in enough buyers who would not pay the normal prices, and few enough who would, that selling advances brings in more revenue.

Or that's the theory, anyway. Advance fares are to some extent compulsory, though I think any regulation applies to average fares so its effect isn't going to be obvious.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 21:05:37 »

I'm not sure there is any compulsion to offer sny, on any service, at any time actually
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: