19:48 London Paddington to Swansea
20:23 Swansea to London Paddington
20:30 Carmarthen to Bristol Parkway
20:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
21:08 Paignton to Bristol Temple Meads
21:30 Cardiff Central to Frome
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 22:59:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[245] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[75] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[56] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[43] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[40] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[32] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Rail industrial action 2015.  (Read 70453 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 12:14:13 »

Unfortunately, Network Rail has confirmed that they do not expect to be able to allow access to the following areas of the First Great Western network, and no trains will run after 0001 Monday 25 May and Tuesday 26 May. Service start up on Wednesday will also be affected:

^        North Cotswolds line, from Oxford and calling at Worcester and Hereford, or services between Didcot and Oxford

^        Beyond Plymouth to Penzance and on Devon and Cornwall branch line services
^        Reading to Gatwick Airport/Reading to Basingstoke
^        Between Swindon and Gloucester/Cheltenham
^        Between Bath Spa and Portsmouth Harbour
^        Between Reading and Taunton
^        On the Henley-on-Thames and Greenford Branch lines
^        On Severn Beach branch line

I realise that there is an overtime ban, but as the strike isn't to start until 1700 Monday, that's taking the proverbial isn't it?

There won't be any road replacement, there never is.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 12:23:12 »

Thanks for those lists, Ollie.

Can't see "Swindon to Westbury" nor "Westbury to Weymouth" in either list.  Can you tell me how they stand, and will there be alternative road replacement services?  Thanks!

I believe there will be no service on those routes, but I've asked for confirmation.

There won't be road transport available.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 12:26:05 »

The full ptress release -

National rail strike: RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) and TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) planned industrial action

Services expected to be significantly affected from 0001 Monday 25 to Tuesday 26 May and in the morning of Wednesday 27 May

RMT and TSSA trade union members employed by Network Rail have voted in favour of taking industrial action, which could affect rail services from 0001 Monday 25 May throughout Monday and Tuesday 26 May and will impact services on the morning of Wednesday 27 May.

We have been talking to Network Rail about the planned strike and the impact on First Great Western services. Should action go ahead is it likely to have a significant impact on our ability to run our train services throughout this period. Trains that are able to run are expected to be busy.

Full refunds will be available for customers who have already bought tickets during the industrial action period and choose not to travel, and Season Ticket holders will be compensated for any days affected.

Those with tickets for travel on Monday and Tuesday will also be able to use their ticket to travel on Sunday 24 May or Wednesday 27 May, subject to any travel restrictions that would normally apply to your ticket.

If you have an Advance Purchase ticket for Monday or Tuesday you will also able to travel on Sunday or Wednesday using the same service or one immediately before or after the booked time.

During Monday and Tuesday it is expected that services will operate at a reduced service frequency between 0730 and approximately 1830; please check timetables on the day for details of your last service.

Subject to agreement from Network Rail, we aim to operate the following:

London Thames Valley

^        Paddington ^ Didcot, calling at Slough Maidenhead (Peak only) and Reading: Every 30 mins

^        Paddington ^ Didcot, calling at Ealing Broadway, Southall Hayes and Harlington, West Drayton, Iver, Langley, Slough, Maidenhead, Twyford, Reading, Tilehurst, Pangbourne, Goring and Streatley, Cholsey and Didcot Parkway: Every 30 mins

^        Paddington ^ Reading non-stop to operate during peak time only: Every 30 mins

^        Paddington ^ Reading, calling at Acton Mainline, Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, Hanwell, Southall, Hayes and Harlington, West Drayton, Slough, Burnham, Taplow, Maidenhead, Twyford and Reading: Every 30 mins

^        Branch line services to Bourne End/Marlow and Windsor to run every 20/30 mins

Bristol

^        Paddington ^ Bristol Temple Meads, calling at Reading Didcot, Swindon, Chippenham, Bath and Bristol, extended to Weston-Super-Mare and Taunton during peak: Hourly

^        Swindon ^ Bristol, calling at Chippenham, Bath Spa, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, Bristol Temple Meads: Hourly

^        Bristol Parkway ^ Weston-Super-Mare, calling at Filton, Stapleton Road, Lawrence Hill, Bristol Temple Meads, Bedminster, Parson St, Nailsea and Backwell, Yatton, Worle, Weston Milton and Weston-Super-Mare: Hourly

South Wales

^        Paddington ^ Swansea on Monday and Cardiff on Tuesday, calling at Reading, Didcot Parkway, Swindon, Bristol Parkway, Newport and Cardiff: Hourly

^        Cardiff ^ Taunton, calling at Newport, Severn Tunnel Juncton, Patchway, Filton Abbey Wood, Bristol Temple Meads, Nailsea, Yatton, Worle, Weston-Super-Mare, Highbridge, Bridgwater and Taunton: Hourly

Devon and Cornwall

^        Paddington ^ Plymouth, calling at Reading, Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, Taunton, Tiverton, Exeter, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Totnes, Ivybridge (select trains only) and Plymouth: Hourly

^        Exeter ^ Newton Abbot, stopping service: Hourly

^        Sleeper services will not be able to operate on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.

Unfortunately, Network Rail has confirmed that they do not expect to be able to allow access to the following areas of the First Great Western network, and no trains will run after 0001 Monday 25 May and Tuesday 26 May. Service start up on Wednesday will also be affected:

^        North Cotswolds line, from Oxford and calling at Worcester and Hereford, or services between Didcot and Oxford

^        Beyond Plymouth to Penzance and on Devon and Cornwall branch line services

^        Reading to Gatwick Airport/Reading to Basingstoke

^        Between Swindon and Gloucester/Cheltenham

^        Between Bath Spa and Portsmouth Harbour

^        Between Reading and Taunton

^        On the Henley-on-Thames and Greenford Branch lines

^        On Severn Beach branch line

Please note that it is unlikely that we will be able to honour seat reservations on these days, but should you choose to alter your travel plans we can change the reservation without penalty.

For the very latest information please continue to check this page or National Rail Enquiries at www.nationalrail.co.uk.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:55 »

The way I read that is that seasons will be compensated for Monday/Tuesday (and possibly Wednesday if the AM seriously disrupted).

The Rover will probably get extra days if you want them or a full refund if choosing not to travel.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 12:32:02 »

Can't see "Swindon to Westbury" nor "Westbury to Weymouth" in either list.  Can you tell me how they stand, and will there be alternative road replacement services?  Thanks!

I believe there will be no service on those routes, but I've asked for confirmation.

Confirmed - no service.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 12:33:24 »

Even if the strike does go ahead, at least we won't be the only ones:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32810896

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 12:53:42 »

With the limited service available, I hope that ALL the trains that do run will be of the maximum permitted length. In view of the number of services that cant be run, there should be no shortage of stock.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 13:30:26 »

All the turbo stock at Oxford will be trapped....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 13:51:42 »

All the turbo stock at Oxford will be trapped....

Even so, there should be plenty of units available to ensure full length turbo trains of 6-cars on all of the special services planned - perhaps even longer (8/9 car) on some services, i.e. the Paddington to Reading non-stop ones if they are to be Turbo operated?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 14:15:12 »

Confirmed - no service.

Thanks for that ... and for double checking.   We can at least make sure the message gets around (hopefully without turning off traffic if the service runs - does anyone have an educated guess as to whether the action will go ahead?)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 14:18:03 »

Totally up to the Politicos I guess - now NR» (Network Rail - home page) is Government-owned.

Either they'll tell NR to settle, or they won't. The union is up for a fight though, so definitely Government choice.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 14:48:46 »

Do I understand correctly that the Strike is from 1700 on Monday to 1700 on Tuesday, but that it looks like some trains will be running on my line (Bristol-Bath-Paddington) on Tuesday morning when the strike is supposedly happening, but that late Tuesday evening after the strike is over there will not be any trains?

ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 14:54:24 »

Totally up to the Politicos I guess - now NR» (Network Rail - home page) is Government-owned.

Either they'll tell NR to settle, or they won't. The union is up for a fight though, so definitely Government choice.

If you think this is true then it will go-ahead as
a) It will give the Govt an excuse/reason (take your pick) to introduce the new strike laws promised in their manifesto
b) the amount offered to NR staff, assuming RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) is greater than 1%, is more than has been offered to other Public Sector employees and they wouldn't want that. (Note RPI is currently 0.9%).
c) The ever increasing NR debt is going to have to be addressed and higher pay awards are only going to add to that, so the Govt will want to try and keep that in check using pay awards as has happened with the rest of the Public Sector.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 14:57:28 »

Yep, that's the way I see it too.

Question (poss for another thread) - If RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) also goes negative in July, will the price of seasons next January drop? Tories promised no 'rise' in prices - taken to mean RPI% each year, rather than a freeze in prices.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 15:28:15 »

Do I understand correctly that the Strike is from 1700 on Monday to 1700 on Tuesday, but that it looks like some trains will be running on my line (Bristol-Bath-Paddington) on Tuesday morning when the strike is supposedly happening, but that late Tuesday evening after the strike is over there will not be any trains?

The union's directive is telling people not to start a shift in those times - so on Tuesday evening they'll still be on strike.    Looks like the operating plans are to concentrate available resources into the daytime.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: