Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 05 May 2024
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
5th May (1973)
Blue Pullman farewell tour (*)

Train RunningCancelled
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
Delayed
21:30 Taunton to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 05, 2024, 01:04:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[123] Something different !
[113] Walking between stations
[80] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[51] June to December 2024 Timetables
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas/New Year 2016 Engineering Work  (Read 24343 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 11:14:37 »

Slowly more is appearing here

Friday 23 December
 Minor alterations to peak services to / from London Paddington. Additional trains will operate between London Paddington and the West of England

Saturday 24 December
 Major engineering work is taking place between London Paddington and Ealing Broadway with all lines closed. A normal service will operate on other routes with trains finishing earlier than the normal timetable

Sunday 25 December
 No service
Monday 26 December
 No service

Tuesday 27 December
 Major engineering work is taking place between London Paddington and Ealing Broadway and also Newport and Bridgend with all lines closed. An amended weekday service will run with trains starting later than the normal timetable. Some trains in the morning and evening peak services will be cancelled or amended. Additional trains will run from the West of England to Ealing Broadway

Wednesday 28 December Major engineering work is taking place between London Paddington and Ealing Broadway and also Newport and Bridgend with all lines closed. An amended weekday service will run with trains starting later than the normal timetable. Some trains in the morning and evening peak services will be cancelled or amended. Additional trains will run from the West of England to Ealing Broadway

Thursday 29 December Major engineering work is taking place between London Paddington and Ealing Broadway. An amended weekday service will run with trains starting later than the normal timetable. Some trains in the morning and evening peak services will be cancelled or amended. Additional trains will run from the West of England to Ealing Broadway

Friday 30 December An amended weekday service will run with trains starting later than the normal timetable. Some morning and evening peak services to and from London Paddington will be amended or cancelled. Additional trains will run from the West of England to London Paddington

Saturday 31 December An amended service will run with trains finishing earlier than then normal timetable (from 22:00 on most routes). New years eve special trains will run. The 00:05, 00:30 and 01:00 London Paddington to Twyford services will extend to Reading. Additional trains will run from London Paddington to Reading between 01:55 and 05:29

Sunday 1 January 2016
 Major engineering work is taking place between Bridgend and Newport with all lines closed. An amended service will apply on most routes

Monday 2 January Major engineering work is taking place between Bridgend and Newport with all lines closed. An amended service will apply on most routes with trains starting later than the normal timetable. Some morning and evening peak services to / from London Paddington will be amended or cancelled. Additional trains will run from the West of England to London Paddington

Tuesday 3 January
  Originating points will differ on a few early morning services

I suspect an adjusted Saturday service between 27th & New Year's Eve - if you visit National Rail Enquiries http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ you can enquire about timetables between for the period from December27-28.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 10:07:01 »

Saturday 31 December An amended service will run with trains finishing earlier than then normal timetable (from 22:00 on most routes). New years eve special trains will run. The 00:05, 00:30 and 01:00 London Paddington to Twyford services will extend to Reading.
This quote seems curious. Normally if you are at Paddington and see Twyford on the departure boards as the destination you'll find that it actually continues to Reading anyway. Reason being is that GWR (Great Western Railway) don't want Reading passengers unintentionally catching a slower stopping service when they could get a non stop service instead. At all other calling stations the train will be advertised as being for Reading.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 10:23:35 »

Glad to see additional trains running between Paddington-West Country on 23/12 - let's hope there's a lot of them to at least mitigate the usual chaos!

No service (yet again) on Boxing Day I see..............however as a special early festive treat I will spare everyone my traditional rant on this subject! (for now anyway!)  Smiley

Ealing Broadway to be the terminus for London - West of England services? - will it be able to cope with the volumes?
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 11:29:23 »

Saturday 31 December An amended service will run with trains finishing earlier than then normal timetable (from 22:00 on most routes). New years eve special trains will run. The 00:05, 00:30 and 01:00 London Paddington to Twyford services will extend to Reading.
This quote seems curious. Normally if you are at Paddington and see Twyford on the departure boards as the destination you'll find that it actually continues to Reading anyway. Reason being is that GWR (Great Western Railway) don't want Reading passengers unintentionally catching a slower stopping service when they could get a non stop service instead. At all other calling stations the train will be advertised as being for Reading.

They then jump onto long distance HSTs (High Speed Train) resulting in long distance passengers having to stand.     Particularly prevalent at the evening peak.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 11:54:59 »

I dimly recall that, during the resignalling of Paddington in the 1960's, Ealing Broadway was the terminus for a fairly lengthy period.  So it must have some capacity.  I am not concerned about the week between Christmas and New Year.  Am a little concerned about Saturday 24th though. 
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 12:34:12 »

Glad to see additional trains running between Paddington-West Country on 23/12 - let's hope there's a lot of them to at least mitigate the usual chaos!

Additional services at:
10:33 to Penzance
12:36 to Plymouth
14:36 to Plymouth
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 16:36:10 »

I've put a summary of what works are taking place that make these alterations necessary in the Crossrail thread:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=818.690

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 22:25:45 »

I dimly recall that, during the resignalling of Paddington in the 1960's, Ealing Broadway was the terminus for a fairly lengthy period.  So it must have some capacity.  I am not concerned about the week between Christmas and New Year.  Am a little concerned about Saturday 24th though. 

It was also used as a temporary terminus for a week or so after the Ladbroke Grove crash in 1999. It was certainly pretty chaotic then with queues in the evening peak stretching back from the footbridge to well down the Central Line platforms. I recall that the situation improved after a couple of days when it was decided to suspend the HEx service until things returned back to normal, however I'm sure things will be rather quieter at Christmas this year.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 21:40:34 »

Those trains do actually terminate at Twyford on Sunday mornings, engineering works. Trains at that time of night won't be advertised as Twyford anyway, as there is no other services to Reading!
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 10:55:42 »

I remember that! Kensington Olympia was also used as a terminus - I recall returning to Uni from a visit home and catching the District Line shuttle to High Street Kensington.

This would seem to be no longer possible as an alternative.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 10:57:31 »

I remember that! Kensington Olympia was also used as a terminus

As was Marylebone.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
W5tRailfinder

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 16:29:15 »

Does the work at Kensal Green include the Up Main to Down Relief facing crossover that is required to allow any Crossrail trains on the Up Main to cross the layout and reach the tunnels?

Or is this work going to need another blockade later?
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 14:07:35 »

Hi,

Has anyone got a copy of the flyer that is on the back of the seats on the trains about the Christmas closure? - I'm sure it said that there will be NO district line from Ealing Broadway (on the page with the line diagram) during this period either.  But looking on FGW (First Great Western)'s site I can't see the same bit of info - kind of impacts how useful travelling to Ealing Broadway will be...

Boppy.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2016, 14:10:14 »

plug your journey into the TfL» (Transport for London - about) journey planner which will show you any engineering works on the tube
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2016, 22:34:40 »

Hi,

Has anyone got a copy of the flyer that is on the back of the seats on the trains about the Christmas closure? - I'm sure it said that there will be NO district line from Ealing Broadway (on the page with the line diagram) during this period either.  But looking on FGW (First Great Western)'s site I can't see the same bit of info - kind of impacts how useful travelling to Ealing Broadway will be...

Boppy.

As requested

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: