20:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
21:08 Paignton to Bristol Temple Meads
21:30 Cardiff Central to Frome
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
21:48 London Paddington to Swansea
22:49 London Paddington to Swansea
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:22 Bristol Temple Meads to Portsmouth Harbour
20:48 London Paddington to Swansea
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 20:35:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead Station  (Read 20222 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:59:30 »

I notice some criticism of the staff at Maidenhead in the comments section of the link below.
http://ihatefirstgreatwestern.blogspot.com/2007/12/tidings-of-comfort-and-joy.html

What do forum members think?

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:33:00 »

First of all...what's all this about refund/discount vouchers Huh?  As a FGW (First Great Western) Annual Season Ticket holder, I'd expect FGW to notify me in advance of my ticket expiry of any additional refunds that I'm eligible for.  I also believe that pigs can fly.

That aside, I went along to Maidenhead station at 10:45 on Sunday 30th December (which I thought would be pretty much off peak).  Wasn't encouraged to see just a single ticket kiosk open and a queue beginning to snake out of the front entrance.  Took about 20 minutes to get to the front of the queue (which meant several people missed the train just after 11:00 to London).  Took just a few minutes to renew my ticket.

I didn't have a problem with the staff at all - they're always helpful and informative.  Mind you, I couldn't quite understand why it was, with a long queue, etc. that there was only one person issuing tickets and yet there were threeticket inspectors (I presume) standing the other side of the barrier - why they weren't able to help relieve the queue by using portable machines I really don't know.
WDcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 13:21:23 »

I tend to buy my season ticket at West Drayton, so don't really have many dealings with the Maidenhead staff. The one time I decided to renew a ticket at Maidenhead (the next 2 trains home were cancelled, so at least it was something to do), the guy at the ticket desk messed it up. I didn't realise until 4 days later when I was trying to get through the gate and the ticket inspector pointed out that it had expired - didn't know they had a special offer of 3 days for the price of 7, but there you go...
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 16:36:31 »

3 days for the price of 7, well thats one way FGW (First Great Western) will make it's meggar payments to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 11:16:38 »

Proposed improvements to Maidenhead's railway station will be put before a town forum next week. The meeting will also discuss the potential impact of Crossrail and timetable changes (link below.)
http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news_article.php?section=5&category=89&story=5608
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 21:20:55 by chris from nailsea » Logged

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:05:57 »

Thanks for the info.  Haven't seen any posters appear at Maidenhead station yet - just the sort of thing that regular commuters would find useful to be informed of.  As an annual season ticket "Gold Card" holder I would have expected some sort of notification from FGW (First Great Western) directly.  I can but dream...
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 13:12:16 »

I can't see any indication that this has been arranged by FGW (First Great Western). It appears to focus on crossrail which makes me think it's organised by them or the council?
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 00:53:01 »

More than ^1m will be ploughed into the refurbishment of Maidenhead railway station by First Great Western (link below.)
http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news_article.php?section=5&category=89&story=5633

In a presentation to the Maidenhead Town Forum meeting, Richard Rowland, FGW (First Great Western)'s regional manager for London and the Thames Valley, explained that the cash injection would be amongst the largest of its kind into their chain of stations.

Improvements are set to include a platform extension, a larger ticket hall, a better network of subways and gateways, and lighting and flooring refurbishments.

gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:08:45 »

It's great that there's investment being made in the station.  Hopefully there'll be barriers that work reliabily and electronic noticeboards that don't keep failing.  Pity that they're investing in having a larger ticket hall rather than on working on ways to reduce the queues though (e.g. increase use of RELIABLE automatic ticket machines and additional staff on duty on desks). More fundementally though, as a regular commuter, I'd prefer investment to improve the reliaibility of the service over and above any cosmetic improvements to the station.  I don't believe that Crossrail will result in additional lines being built so I'm obviously nervous that it'll mean more, slower trains using the capacity and getting in the way of the faster services to Paddington.
WDcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 12:47:50 »

It's great that there's investment being made in the station.  Hopefully there'll be barriers that work reliabily
Agreed - those ticket barriers are always breaking down. Is it true that they're talking about closing the Shoppenhangars Road access (see comment on the Advertiser's site)?
WDcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 17:37:14 »

Does anyone know why they close the Shoppenhangars Road entrance in the evening? I get off the bus there at around 17.30 most evenings aiming to catch the 17.33 - currently I have to walk around to the front entrance of the station and go through 'the maze' (and if you get stuck behind a tourist with a suitcase or someone pushing a pram, there's no way you're getting the train). The majority of the time, the ticket inspector doesn't even look at tickets of people entering the station, so why not just have the other entrance open?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 19:02:26 »

and if you get stuck behind a tourist with a suitcase
What in Maidenhead  Shocked Shocked  Grin

There are some major revamp works going as you will have noticed, my guess it is to manage the safety of people using the station while the builders are working

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 08:43:47 »

"Safety" ?  Don't see how that would be compromised by having the entrance open (it was shut this morning). 

I think if safety of passengers was a concern we wouldn't see the situation that happened this morning - SMS message from FGW (First Great Western) to say delays/cancellations likely on 06:43, 07:04, 07:19, 07:24.  So, arrived at station early (not early enough to catch the 06:43 though because the Shoppenhangars entrance was shut).  No mention of any delays to 07:02 (my normal train). 

Whilst waiting on platform 2, 07:02 was then reported as due 07:07 on the monitor.  A few minutes later tannoy announcement that 07:02 was due in 4 minutes, immediately followed by tannoy announcement that 07:04 was due in 4 minutes.  The 07:04 passengers then started to move through the tunnel from Platform 4 to Platform 2 (presume they'd been told something). Then announcement while this was happening, that the 07:02 would operate from Platform 4.  This meant that we had a large number of passengers switching between platform 2 & 4 through the single narrow tunnel and stairways.  Finally compounded by the 07:04 arriving on Platform 2 before any sign of the 07:02 (which we'd been told would be earlier than the 07:04) and so there was some further scurrying of passengers back from Platform 4 to Platform 2.

The good news (yes there was some) was that, even though the 07:02 left after the 07:04 (which stops at Slough), we arrived at Paddington at around 07:35.  By this stage just being 11 minutes late didn't feel quite so bad!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 09:09:31 »

0643 was cancelled due to a problem with lineside equipment apparently.

Interestingly the 0702 lost 4 minutes at Maidenhead, otherwise chances are it would have officially been 'on time' at Paddington.

0704 doesn't stop at Slough at arrived at Paddington early at 0728
0702 arrived at Paddington 11 late at 0734.

Should have got the 0704  Wink
WDcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 10:18:02 »

and if you get stuck behind a tourist with a suitcase
What in Maidenhead  Shocked Shocked  Grin

OK, maybe not tourists - let's call them 'people on their way to the airport who have not used public transport in a long time'. Last week I got stuck behind 3 of them who had been directed into the tunnel and had no idea how to get to the platforms, so just blocked the way with their luggage instead...

my guess it is to manage the safety of people using the station while the builders are working

Strangely enough, I got to the station at 6pm yesterday and the entrance was open - even better, the 17:58 was delayed by 5 minutes, so I managed to catch it. There aren't any builders around in the evening (at least, not in that part of the station), so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Fingers crossed the gate will be open this evening as well.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: