21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
02/05/24 23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 03:48:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead station. Platform 1  (Read 5917 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2008, 16:49:50 »

Hello, I have a question about platform 1 at Maidenhead and I hope someone here might know the answer.

As part of the refurbishment work, platform 1 had work done to it.. A step free access to the car park was installed (I think).. However, this is only for platform 1, and platform 1 is still usually locked (unless a train is stopping there which is infrequent).  Can anyone explain that to me?

Also I thought they might have taken the opportunity to do something to the boarded up buildings on platform 1, if platform 1 is to be used? But they havent.. I'd love to know why..

Or maybe platform 1 was just improved and extended so that the people over on the other platforms have a nicer view? Wink
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 19:18:18 »

It is, I think, to allow FGW (First Great Western) to stop HST (High Speed Train)'s at Maidenhead as part of the evening commuter service, crossing trains from the Down Main to Down Relief effects the Up Main and could mean that trains that have destinations via the Berks & Hants lines will have to cross back from the Down Relief to Down Main again.  I don't think Plat 1 is really meant for normal day time use unless the relief lines are closed

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 22:23:04 »

It is, I think, to allow FGW (First Great Western) to stop HST (High Speed Train)'s at Maidenhead as part of the evening commuter service, crossing trains from the Down Main to Down Relief effects the Up Main and could mean that trains that have destinations via the Berks & Hants lines will have to cross back from the Down Relief to Down Main again.  I don't think Plat 1 is really meant for normal day time use unless the relief lines are closed

which does make me wonder even more about the step free access to the car park that they appear to have installed from that platform... Since it won't really be used much... if at all..
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 23:43:24 »

A couple of views of Platform 1 at Maidenhead (photos taken on 30/10/2008) :

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:28:56 »

I think it will have a regular evening service or two stopping on that platform from the December timetable - perhaps the level exit to the car park will be brought into use then? At the moment it does all appear to be a bit of a white elephant, although useful for engineering work alterations and other problems that might make the usual platform unavailable.

As for the building, I assume it was a cost issue that they weren't refurbished into a nice waiting room. The shelter on the platform does look a bit silly now that it's full length. The only other reason might be on H&S (Health and Safety) grounds, i.e. the structual integrity/asbestos etc.?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 13:27:27 »

Well I hope that the use of Platform 1 will encourage either (a) the opening of the exit directly into the carpark or (b) the Shoppenhangers exit to be open of an evening - It's a real pain to disembark from platform 1 and then have to walk all the way through the station, through the front car park, under the bridge and up the hill.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 18:34:02 »

Platform 1 had to have step free access it is a requirement of the DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) all new builds have to be compliant.  NR» (Network Rail - home page) have be granted a lot of money in CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) and indeed in CP3 to retro fit step free access to make rail travel DDA compliant. So white elephant or not it had to be built

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 00:59:30 »

Platform 1 had to have step free access it is a requirement of the DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) all new builds have to be compliant.  NR» (Network Rail - home page) have be granted a lot of money in CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) and indeed in CP3 to retro fit step free access to make rail travel DDA compliant. So white elephant or not it had to be built

It wasn't a 'new build' as such though was it? Just an extention to a existing platform. Would the DDA rules still have to apply?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 08:17:10 »

It wasn't a 'new build' as such though was it? Just an extention to a existing platform. Would the DDA rules still have to apply?
Yes as it was not just a simple refurb but a major enhancement

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 09:19:50 »

Given it was built under DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) requirements does it have to be open all the time or only when a disabled person turns up?

This would be fine provided that it was know a disbaled person was on the train. What happens if a train usually booked 3 is routed via 1 and has a disabled person on board. It's bound to happen sometime what with point & siganl failures and engineering work.

A real headache for FGW (First Great Western).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:23:27 by eightf48544 » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 21:48:06 »

I arrived on platform 1 this evening, and this is the first time I've noticed (I'm obviously not very perceptive), that arriving on that platform, means that, once down the steps, you arrive outside the new ticket barriers that have been installed.. That just does not make sense to me...

So to get to the main station exit/taxi rank, you have to enter the station through the barriers and then exit at the other end through more barriers.. Tonight the barriers at both ends were open, so we could all get in and out easily, but also meant that  no one had their tickets checked..

I just wondered what the thinking behind this was if anyone happens to know?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: