Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
02/05/24 05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 01:42:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[41] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[40] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornwall DMU Diagrams  (Read 7996 times)
marky7890

View Profile Email
« on: August 17, 2011, 22:09:47 »

Hello,
So again I am trying to work out the diagrams for DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) in Cornwall.

I have worked out most of them however a few services I'm not sure about.

1. What unit does the 2125 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) - EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)?
2. Am I right in thinking the Looe branch unit runs the 2103 LSK - PLY?
3. What time does the ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) 1857 LSK to PLY arrive into Plymouth?
4. What unit runs the last service to Gunnislake (2131 PLY - GSL)?
5. What times do the Falmouth Branch units head back to Penzance (If they go to PNZ)?
6. What time does the Newquay branch train head back to Plymouth?
7. What time does the Looe branch train leave Plymouth in the mornings?
8. Does anyone know any of the depot times for the diagrams?

Thanks alot,  Grin
Mark
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 22:47:11 »

Here's some of the answers (as it was today at least):

1)  The unit that worked the 09:36 Exeter St. Davids to Penzance and 12:54 Penzance to Newton Abbot (how it got from Newton Abbot to Plymouth I'm not sure!).
2)  Correct.
3)  19:22.
4)  The unit from the above 19:22 arrival in Plymouth.
5)  The 19:02 ex Falmouth forms 5T89 19:38 Truro to Penzance, and the 22:35 ex Falmouth forms 5T93 23:04 Truro to Penzance.
6)  5P13, 22:30 from Par to Plymouth.

Hope that helps?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 23:06:52 »

Thanks for this that helped quite a bit.

By the way the 12:54 PNZ to NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) appears to get back to PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) like so:

2A64 12:54 PNZ - NTA 15:52
2C49 15:58 NTA - LSK 17:40
2G78 17:49 LSK - GSL 19:09
2P94 19:13 GSL - PLY 19:58
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 23:54:07 »

I always thought Penzance struggled with capacity at night but I suppose one or two car units are easier to accommodate. Is it still the case that some FGW (First Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) sets run empty to Plymouth?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:11:41 »

Thanks for this that helped quite a bit.

No problem.  And to help with question 7:

The Looe branch unit leaves Plymouth as 5L71 at 05:02 attached as far as Liskeard to the unit which goes through to Par to form the Newquay branch train.  These two units come off of Laira at 03:03 as 5G71 with a third unit attached to that train forming the 05:06 from Plymouth to Gunnislake.  That should also partly answer question 8.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 13:27:29 »

I'm assuming that it doesn't go through to Par now that its mid summer, as the Newquay branch train comes from Bristol (2N02 0524 Bristol Temple Meads - Newquay). The train from Bristol used to run through to Penzance but that is now done by an HST (High Speed Train).
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 17:43:55 »

Further to this, can anybody say if there are any ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) workings to enable units to run to and from Exeter to Plymouth and Cornwall, or is everything either work or attached to scheduled services.   Thanks in advance to anybody who might be able to help.
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 18:53:23 »

Also IndustryInsider do you know when the 5G71 arrives into Plymouth, and when the 5L71 arrives into Liskeard?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:55:02 »

Also IndustryInsider do you know when the 5G71 arrives into Plymouth, and when the 5L71 arrives into Liskeard?

Here's the relevent schedules:

I'm assuming that it doesn't go through to Par now that its mid summer, as the Newquay branch train comes from Bristol (2N02 0524 Bristol Temple Meads - Newquay). The train from Bristol used to run through to Penzance but that is now done by an HST (High Speed Train).

Obviously things change on a seasonal basis, but currently the first Newquay trip (06:47ex Par) of the day is worked by the set off of 5L71.  It then runs empty to Plymouth as 5N01 and attaches there to 2C23, the 06:26 Bristol Parkway to Penzance.  The Newquay trips are then covered, as you say, by the sets that works 2N02.  Here's the diagram for the first trip:

marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 14:48:49 »

Its now September, and some diagrams have changed. I have worked out most changes myself. However I'm not sure what train does the 2E89 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) - EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains). I believe its either the 2P44 (1913 GSL - PLY) or the 2P45 (1916 PNZ - PLY), or do they couple together and both run to Exeter?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 01:32:24 »

5C51 Liskeard - Plymouth terminates on platform 7 which is where 2E89 starts from, so would assume it is that.

fatcontroller

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 12:20:31 »

2P95 1916 Penzance - Plymouth forms 2E89 2125 Plymouth - Exeter.

Effectively a through service with a headcode change.

former FGW (First Great Western) Staff now working for the People's republic of ScotRail
Anything I post is my own personal view and not that of FGW, FirstGroup, ScotRail or Transport Scotland.
Anything official from these sources will be marked as such.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: