20:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
21:08 Paignton to Bristol Temple Meads
21:30 Cardiff Central to Frome
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
21:48 London Paddington to Swansea
22:49 London Paddington to Swansea
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:22 Bristol Temple Meads to Portsmouth Harbour
20:48 London Paddington to Swansea
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 20:45:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 595702 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: May 05, 2022, 11:46:05 »

I expect the main issue with real passengers will be getting them on and off trains in time to keep to the schedule. That's mainly a matter of training the passengers, who will mostly be familiar with doing this on tube trains. That, and the reduced frequency of trains at the start, should mean it will not take long to establish a suitable pattern of behaviour.

But when the full frequency is running, it will not take much to produce a delay that continues for some time. Then we'll see how well the operators' planing works out. And opening day is a potential "disaster" (in journalistic terms) as so many people will turn up for a look, and they won't be in a hurry to get somewhere else. And emptying trains that terminate at Paddington Crossrail will no doubt be a headache that never goes away.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 05, 2022, 13:10:10 »

And emptying trains that terminate at Paddington Crossrail will no doubt be a headache that never goes away.

I believe that anyone not out in a reasonable amount of time will be sent to the reversing sidings!  Wink

More practically though, I would expect TfL» (Transport for London - about) to employ several people on Paddington station to get on when a terminating train arrives and quickly empty it.  But, yes, it will be a headache!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 05, 2022, 13:40:16 »

Finally a date:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61095510
Abbey Wood to Paddington initially no Sundays or Bond Street

Complete with criticism of the Mayor for announcing the opening on local election day.

Now, please!
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 05, 2022, 13:57:04 »

The test running was done at up to 24 tph but they’re starting at 12 tph – looks to be a good idea while they and the passengers settle in.

My concern is when Elizabeth Line trains start running through from the GWML (Great Western Main Line) with 24 tph through the core.  The EL trains will be sharing the busy UR between Reading and Acton with long and/or heavy freight trains which may arrive at Reading way out of their path.  Regulation – if available and attempted - may not always be successful in ensuring EL trains are able to present at Westbourne Park when they are supposed to: we’re talking about maybe a 30 second window here.

If I was planning the EL timetable eastbound from Paddington I would first put in a generous pathing allowance at Westbourne Park for EL trains arriving from the west, and second have an operating plan such that there is always a turnround train ready at Westbourne Park to step up to fill the path of the late running train through the core.  The late running train, when it arrives, would then fill the next path through the core and the stepping up would cease.  This is the only way to run a reliable 24 tph through the core.

Either way I think that passengers travelling through from the GWML to the core will have to get used to a pause at a red light at Westbourne Park.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 05, 2022, 14:10:23 »

I'll be interested to see whether 24tph will actually happen.   After all, that specification was decided upon to deal with a huge morning and evening swell of commuters which won't happen now. 

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 05, 2022, 15:16:00 »

And emptying trains that terminate at Paddington Crossrail will no doubt be a headache that never goes away.

I believe that anyone not out in a reasonable amount of time will be sent to the reversing sidings!  Wink

More practically though, I would expect TfL» (Transport for London - about) to employ several people on Paddington station to get on when a terminating train arrives and quickly empty it.  But, yes, it will be a headache!
I’m sure I read years ago that it would definitely be OK to take passengers to Westbourne Park and back if they didn’t get out at Paddington. (A bit like the Kennington Loop, which is not advised but they haven’t worried about it for some years.)

But in todays climate, I’d expect the drivers changing ends by walking through the train to object to doing that if the train wasn’t guaranteed to be empty as they passed through.  And if they were to change ends externally using the narrow platforms at Westbourne Park then you lose the time saving of doing it during auto-reverse. 

That’s assuming anyone accepts auto reverse with no-one in the cab - another procedure that apparently awaits sign off…

Paul
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 05, 2022, 17:00:09 »

When are Sunday services due to start? And why are they are not starting yet? I'm sure it's been mentioned but I can't find it.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 05, 2022, 17:06:52 »

When are Sunday services due to start? And why are they are not starting yet? I'm sure it's been mentioned but I can't find it.

TfL» (Transport for London - about)'s press release said:
Work will continue in engineering hours and on Sundays to allow a series of testing and software updates in preparation for more intensive services from the autumn.

So presumably Sunday services will start by autumn, or after that... probably.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 05, 2022, 17:26:06 »

Incidentally, should we now merge this thread with the other thread Crossrail - The Elizabeth Line - ongoing discussion, merged topics?

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 05, 2022, 18:50:00 »

Incidentally, should we now merge this thread with the other thread Crossrail - The Elizabeth Line - ongoing discussion, merged topics?

Or maybe it would be better to split off posts in both since yesterday's announcement into a new thread, called "Crossrail opening and operation" or the like.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 05, 2022, 20:08:48 »

I’m sure I read years ago that it would definitely be OK to take passengers to Westbourne Park and back if they didn’t get out at Paddington. (A bit like the Kennington Loop, which is not advised but they haven’t worried about it for some years.)

But in todays climate, I’d expect the drivers changing ends by walking through the train to object to doing that if the train wasn’t guaranteed to be empty as they passed through.  And if they were to change ends externally using the narrow platforms at Westbourne Park then you lose the time saving of doing it during auto-reverse. 

That’s assuming anyone accepts auto reverse with no-one in the cab - another procedure that apparently awaits sign off…

Paul

I'm not sure what the plan is for the Elizabeth Line, but on the Waterloo and City line at Bank station during the peaks, a driver is waiting on the platform by the rear of the incoming train. Passengers and incoming driver get off, he gets in what was the rear cab, now the driving cab, new passengers get on and within a minute or two the train is heading in the opposite direction.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 05, 2022, 23:13:41 »

There will be services on Sunday 5 June, to help folks navigate during the Jubilee celebrations.

Now, please!
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 06, 2022, 05:56:21 »

Thinking of getting the first London bound train of the day,and see what it all about.

I presume this is where most of the News station will be reporting LIVE from on the day.

Would any one want any sort of souvenirs type things that might be given away,FREE?
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 06, 2022, 05:57:04 »

Thinking of getting the first London bound train of the day,and see what it all about.

I presume this is where most of the News station will be reporting LIVE from on the day.

Would any one want any sort of souvenirs type things that might be given away,FREE?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1559 on: May 06, 2022, 06:12:51 »

There will be services on Sunday 5 June, to help folks navigate during the Jubilee celebrations.

Has Sunday staffing been worked out?  Is Sunday part of the normal working week?  How will staff feel when they are used to a six day week and are later asked to add a seventh?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: