Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 04 May 2024
- 'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
- Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
4th May (2017)
First WECA Mayor elected (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Great Malvern to London Paddington
18:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
22:02 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
23:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
23:23 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
Delayed
19:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:44 Swindon to Westbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 04, 2024, 20:17:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Something different !
[148] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[102] Walking between stations
[49] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[45] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[37] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1369287 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: April 03, 2013, 23:36:21 »

Probably not high on the list of priorities at Reading at the moment but the toilets in the Brunel Arcade could do with a refurb.

In the Gents today, three cubicles were covered in black and yellow tape with 'Out of Order' signs and of the remaining ones the one I chose had an interesting lock. Novel use of a copy of 'Reading Station News'. Perhaps the person who did this was making critical comment on the problems on Tuesday:

Shocked

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #1516 on: April 03, 2013, 23:46:02 »

So this a/b is so that each through platform can act as two bay platforms when required. Very interesting concept.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 03, 2013, 23:52:22 »

Toilets are another thing I was going to mention, the facilities on 12/13 and 14/15 did seem a bit lacking to me. I've been in to the Gents on both and they both only had one cubicle and one urinal. Seemed a bit small to me.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 04, 2013, 00:45:05 »

So this a/b is so that each through platform can act as two bay platforms when required. Very interesting concept.

Not at all unusual though?

Then of course some stations achieve the same effect slightly differently by giving the ends different numbers, such as Bristol TM(resolve), or Newcastle Central. 

Birmingham New St also uses A and B I think, as does Southampton Central.

Paul
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 04, 2013, 02:20:45 »

I'd like to just say what a good (if not fun I imagine) job Ollie and Jo have done on facebook the last couple of days coping with all the queries (I'm sure they have done the same on Twitter but I still can't work out how to use it properly so I don't)

Just one question to either of them though (didn't want to post it on FGW (First Great Western) on facebook due to the Trolls on there that like to be rude to people from time to time).. But Ollie replied to someone's query that the turbos were shorter than normal this week due to crewing issues?

I can only guess this is a shortage of people to link units together? I imagine drivers can drive a 2/3/5/6 car turbo with no extra training between any of them?

Thanks Jo.

The crewing issues I refer to is what caused a lot of disruption on Tuesday. Because of these crewing issues the 180s are not in use. To cover the 180s Turbos are being used instead which has meant some diagrams are now short formed.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:07 »

I'd like to just say what a good (if not fun I imagine) job Ollie and Jo have done on facebook the last couple of days coping with all the queries (I'm sure they have done the same on Twitter but I still can't work out how to use it properly so I don't)

Just one question to either of them though (didn't want to post it on FGW (First Great Western) on facebook due to the Trolls on there that like to be rude to people from time to time).. But Ollie replied to someone's query that the turbos were shorter than normal this week due to crewing issues?

I can only guess this is a shortage of people to link units together? I imagine drivers can drive a 2/3/5/6 car turbo with no extra training between any of them?

Thanks Jo.

The crewing issues I refer to is what caused a lot of disruption on Tuesday. Because of these crewing issues the 180s are not in use. To cover the 180s Turbos are being used instead which has meant some diagrams are now short formed.

My thanks too to all the FGW Twitter people for keeping things going every day! Regarding the short-forming, again today the 06:53 from Twyford was only 3 cars, and with the preceding 06:44 again disappearing without trace (and the 06:40 stopper cancelled), the train was very badly crush-loaded after Maidenhead. While the people there were squeezing on board I did see a 180 go past towards Reading.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 04, 2013, 08:47:28 »

My thanks too to all the FGW (First Great Western) Twitter people for keeping things going every day! Regarding the short-forming, again today the 06:53 from Twyford was only 3 cars, and with the preceding 06:44 again disappearing without trace (and the 06:40 stopper cancelled), the train was very badly crush-loaded after Maidenhead. While the people there were squeezing on board I did see a 180 go past towards Reading.

The 7.03 from Maidenhead mentioned above left approx 100 people on the platform, who then had to squeeze on to the (short formed HST (High Speed Train)) 7.08.  The 7.08 is taking all the strain at the moment as the 7.18 (5 carriage Turbo) is cancelled.  Its not much fun at the moment : (

Paddington-->Maidenhead on Tuesday was the worst, with the 8(?) carriage 18.16 reduced to 2 carriages.  In the crush to get on I witnessed a young boy get pushed between the platform and the train and it was only the speedy reaction of the guy beside him that prevented him going completely under.  I recognise that things are difficult this week, but I wonder sometimes if incidents like this are an unfortunate byproduct of short formed trains on an already overcrowded network.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:02:31 by johoare » Logged
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 04, 2013, 08:59:33 »

I've just seen this on the FGW (First Great Western) website:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/compticket/

Reading Redevelopment

You might be entitled to receive one complimentary weekend open return ticket with First Great Western (Standard or First Class, depending on your existing Season Ticket held). Please register your details online by midnight 14th April 2013. If you qualify we will send your PIN details to your registered email address by 28th April 2013. The complimentary ticket needs to be purchased by 6th July 2013 and used for travel by 29th September 2013.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 04, 2013, 09:53:37 »

After changing trains twice at Reading today I'm in two minds about the new station: the new southern gateline, transfer deck and platforms have a superb spacious, clean, modern feel which area  genuine transformation from the Reading of old. However, the wind doesn't half whistle through the place, making it bleak and inhospitable despite the quality of the space. It's not entirely clear to me if what is there represents the complete, finished product but it does strike me as unpleasantly exposed on a cold day.

My views were similar to yours IB when I was there last Tuesday.  Bit like an airport terminal with no heating.  With the large open spaces for the escalators and the open top vents there is always going to be a significant ariflow through the transfer deck.  I'm hoping that some retail units will appear in due course to give it some character and interest: but I think for now I'd be happy, as IB, to give it the benefit of the doubt and see what the finished product is like.

Incidenatlly, some of the escalators were a bit noisy.  I hope they'll be OK when they get rain and snow on (and in) them, which they will given the fact they are not enclosed and protected from the weather.

Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #1524 on: April 04, 2013, 09:57:46 »

Paddington-->Maidenhead on Tuesday was the worst, with the 8(?) carriage 18.16 reduced to 2 carriages. 

I noticed that the 18.16 on P10 yesterday was rammed, as was the Turbo in P11 next to it.
Gave up in the end and waited for a local stopper. That got rammed too. Some altercations developed at Ealing Broadway as nobody could get on.
Brave Staff had to intervene to let the train go on her way.
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #1525 on: April 04, 2013, 10:02:25 »

Then of course some stations achieve the same effect slightly differently by giving the ends different numbers, such as Bristol TM(resolve), or Newcastle Central. 

Paul
You're right, Birmingham Snow Hill used to use A and B platforms, that was many many years ago. Half way along there were pairs of crossovers to enable departure / arrivals with the other half already occupied.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 04, 2013, 10:07:44 »

You're right, Birmingham Snow Hill used to use A and B platforms, that was many many years ago. Half way along there were pairs of crossovers to enable departure / arrivals with the other half already occupied.

Well yes, but split platforms with central crossovers is really another level up in complexity from what we are discussing. 

Paul
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 04, 2013, 10:16:13 »

My views were similar to yours IB when I was there last Tuesday.  Bit like an airport terminal with no heating.  With the large open spaces for the escalators and the open top vents there is always going to be a significant ariflow through the transfer deck.  I'm hoping that some retail units will appear in due course to give it some character and interest: but I think for now I'd be happy, as IB, to give it the benefit of the doubt and see what the finished product is like.

I suppose a lot depends on whether it is seen by the architects as a properly sized (and therefore future proofed) access route to the platforms, or as a large waiting room?  In the overall scheme of things I'm assuming their idea is that you wait on the platforms - which is where they've provided the small waiting rooms and seating areas etc.

At the design stage of these things, presumably when it comes to decisions on heating and ventilation they start off from an assumption that everyone is arriving appropriately dressed for ambient weather conditions?   (Possibly a mistake nowadays...)

Paul
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 04, 2013, 10:39:38 »

Paul

Interestingly Bristol TM never went in for this A and B lark, even though it long had that facility.  See Wikipedia article, where the old and new numbering is discussed (under History about half way down).

It would have been better IMO (in my opinion), if that system was maintained (see earlier remarks about confusion with trains that cover both 'platforms' on PIS (Passenger Information System)).
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:15 »

NickB.. I edited your post above to sort out the quotes (just in case you wondered what I had done)

I am quite concerned that the trains aren't going to be back to normal next week now.. I guess it will just be a case of wait and see on Monday morning?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: