Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 04 May 2024
- 'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
- Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
4th May (2017)
First WECA Mayor elected (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:20 Hereford to London Paddington
14:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
16:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
17:48 Great Malvern to London Paddington
18:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
20:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Bristol Temple Meads
22:02 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
13:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:13 Hereford to London Paddington
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
17:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
23:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
23:23 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
Delayed
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 04, 2024, 15:49:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[202] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[153] Something different !
[67] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[62] Walking between stations
[61] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[51] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1369245 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: May 18, 2013, 19:53:40 »

Quite so, Paul.

In GI/GN7616, there is a box that contains (before it goes on to the actual lengths):

TSI - Conventional Rail Infrastructure (draft)
4.2.10.1. USABLE LENGTH OF PLATFORMS
All Categories of Line

The platform length shall be sufficient to accommodate the longest interoperable train intended to stop at the platform in normal service. When determining the length of trains intended to stop at the platform, consideration shall be given to both the current service requirements and the reasonably foreseeable service requirements at least ten years following the bringing into service of the platform.

It is permissible to build only the length of platform required for the current service requirement provided passive provision is made for the reasonably foreseeable future service requirements.

The usable length of a platform shall be declared in the Register of Infrastructure.

So what is "passive provision"? Not putting a big steel box right next to the platform, as with P12/13 (visible in my picture)? Aligning track so it does not need moving? Is it easier to move the starting signal than to build the platform itself?

I'm not sure, but then this TSI may not be in force now anyway. The actual standard is I think GI/RT7016, but that has similar wording to the first paragraph of the box quoted above, and no specific lengths.

One thing that does occur to me is that not building half the end wall now will give safety issues if it has to be done with P11 in use. 

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 18, 2013, 20:14:11 »

Bar? Do you see a bar? (On P12/13 B.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 21:54:59 by stuving » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 18, 2013, 22:19:48 »

Down near floor level? Skirting round the structure. Perhaps you have to push one of those.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 18, 2013, 23:01:32 »

Bar? Do you see a bar? (On P12/13 B.)

Those doors are presumably locked by magnet above the door, released by the keypad or using the green emergency door release. Does seem odd not to have bars though.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12:57 »

Quite so, Paul.

In GI/GN7616, there is a box that contains (before it goes on to the actual lengths):

TSI - Conventional Rail Infrastructure (draft)
4.2.10.1. USABLE LENGTH OF PLATFORMS
All Categories of Line

The platform length shall be sufficient to accommodate the longest interoperable train intended to stop at the platform in normal service. When determining the length of trains intended to stop at the platform, consideration shall be given to both the current service requirements and the reasonably foreseeable service requirements at least ten years following the bringing into service of the platform.

It is permissible to build only the length of platform required for the current service requirement provided passive provision is made for the reasonably foreseeable future service requirements.

The usable length of a platform shall be declared in the Register of Infrastructure.

So what is "passive provision"? Not putting a big steel box right next to the platform, as with P12/13 (visible in my picture)? Aligning track so it does not need moving? Is it easier to move the starting signal than to build the platform itself?

I'm not sure, but then this TSI may not be in force now anyway. The actual standard is I think GI/RT7016, but that has similar wording to the first paragraph of the box quoted above, and no specific lengths.

One thing that does occur to me is that not building half the end wall now will give safety issues if it has to be done with P11 in use. 

The passive provision for the interoperable train foreseeable within ten years could be the removal of the REB (Relocatable equipment building) and the removal of all fixed signals the full interoperable system on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) will be ETRMS level 2 (that is no fixed line-side signals) the GWML is currently being resignalled to level 1 which will allow level 2 trains to operate the driver ignoring the level fixed signals when all the traction units that operate over GWML metals are ETRMS level 2 all the fixed signal will be felled.
This is likely to be the derogation against the TSI that NR» (Network Rail - home page) will have agreed with the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and DfT» (Department for Transport - about)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 19, 2013, 11:48:43 »

If you consider the country ends of P8/9 and P10/11 they are both equally complicated 'works in progress' with only half of the eventual platform end built, on the P9 or P11 sides.  So I think you might be getting unnecessarily concerned about this. 

When they open P11 for the first time they'll presumably have all the additional length from the country end (beyond the relevant waiting room) that is already built to play with - there shouldn't be any operational necessity to use the final few coach lengths at the London end, where the work to extend the P10 side will still be going on?

With up trains (HSTs (High Speed Train)) on P11 they ought to be positioned significantly further back on the platform and bring both sets of escalators/stairs into regular use - which will hopefully spread the passengers along the whole train...  At least that's the theory that we've discussed previously!   

Paul

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 19, 2013, 17:18:35 »

If you consider the country ends of P8/9 and P10/11 they are both equally complicated 'works in progress' with only half of the eventual platform end built, on the P9 or P11 sides.  So I think you might be getting unnecessarily concerned about this. 
Fair comment - I'm sure it's all being done in an order that makes sense to the people doing it (or do I mean in charge of doing it?).

But, as you point out, the other end of P11 does look as if its face is finished to the end and halfway along the return, though missing its steel fence. P9 has a fence, and that will need altering when the nibbled corner of P8 is made good - presumably worth doing that way as the removal of the acrobatic link line from P8 can't be done until after the viaduct is up and running.

This all started with my puzzling over what the length of main line platforms would be, given that they started off much longer. That is not relevant for the trains and services being planned, but would be if there was ever a need to boost passenger capacity in a hurry. And that's part of the big imponderable topic known now as "resilience".

There is still something inside the Cabinet Office called the "Civil Contingencies Secretariat", which uses the strapline "How networks and individuals can support the country's emergency planning, response and recovery, and keep systems and services running." Transport is one of the main topics they address, though the little evidence I can see of their work is limited to natural hazards such as flood. It needs little imagination to pick that out, as it has happened. So has a disruption to oil supplies, so I would expect that to be on the list of hazards to plan for as well. The example we have was in distribution, so the effect was very quick, but threats further back in the supply chain could still reach crisis point in a few weeks.

Last time, in 2000, large numbers of people did switch to trains - or try to - but then it stopped after about a week. That's the point, really: railways have the capability to boost passenger capacity at short notice, but for a big boost you need longer trains and the platforms for them. Obviously you need to relax some of the rules on comfort and even safety. I am not sure whether the reserve of old rolling stock we used to have has physically gone, or is just not accessible via the leasing process, but resilience planning would also consider that. We seem to be drifting into a situation of only building platforms as long as the trains and then buying trains of fixed length that can't be made longer, or even coupled together to suitable length in a lot of cases. So what, if anything, is this bunch of resilience planners doing?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 20, 2013, 12:02:38 »

Considering the Reading BC work outside the new southern entrance, I've been wondering why they seem to have been using a piling rig all over the area by the ramps.  Drawings I'd found a few months back suggested that area alongside the ramps was going to be a simple paved open space, with a taxi/car drop off beyond it .

Is there a possibility that they are doing something else requiring more foundation work?

Paul
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 20, 2013, 16:11:10 »

Not sure that it is piling - more like ground stabilisation? Its one of those rigs that bores a hole and then rubble is tipped down the hole.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 20, 2013, 16:36:15 »

Ah right. In hindsight I didn't actually see any tubular piles. You can learn a lot about ordinary civil engineering in this thread...   Grin

Presumably this is the sort of thing they're doing, Keller is the name on that rig:

http://www.keller.co.uk/services/groundimp.aspx

Paul
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 17:54:49 by paul7755 » Logged
pfneeves

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 21, 2013, 17:33:47 »

On my way home they had barriers out at the top of the escalators in the southern concourse....it seems as though somebody has acted upon the suggestion that somebody posted on here a little while ago.

Also there is some work going on on the platform area between 3 and 7. Not quite sure what they are doing though. taken a couple of pictures but they are too big.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 21, 2013, 18:11:36 »

On my way home they had barriers out at the top of the escalators in the southern concourse....it seems as though somebody has acted upon the suggestion that somebody posted on here a little while ago.

I noticed that, and thought it would probably become permanent.  I didn't think there was much necessity to separate the stairs from the up escalators though - whenever I've been there the usage of the stairs has been insignificant...

Also there is some work going on on the platform area between 3 and 7. Not quite sure what they are doing though. taken a couple of pictures but they are too big.

All they seem to be doing at the moment is trenching and installing that multi-channel underground conduit for electrical services.  When I looked a few days ago they were then re-installing the same surface materials that had been removed, which was surprising as I'd have thought that new tactile paving would be part of the job.

I suppose the advantage of block paving is that it can easily be adjusted later on though...

Paul
pfneeves

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 21, 2013, 20:22:11 »

I noticed that, and thought it would probably become permanent.  I didn't think there was much necessity to separate the stairs from the up escalators though - whenever I've been there the usage of the stairs has been insignificant...

All they seem to be doing at the moment is trenching and installing that multi-channel underground conduit for electrical services.  When I looked a few days ago they were then re-installing the same surface materials that had been removed, which was surprising as I'd have thought that new tactile paving would be part of the job.

I suppose the advantage of block paving is that it can easily be adjusted later on though...

Paul

Managed to resize them...so here is the first picture.
pfneeves

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 21, 2013, 20:23:34 »

Paul

Managed to resize them...so here is the first picture.

and the second
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 22, 2013, 10:34:36 »

There appears to be some foundation work taking place in the compound behind P1/2/3 as well.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: