Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 04 May 2024
- 'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
- Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
4th May (2017)
First WECA Mayor elected (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:20 Hereford to London Paddington
13:23 Basingstoke to Reading
20:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Bristol Temple Meads
22:02 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
17:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
Delayed
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 04, 2024, 13:17:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[259] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[86] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[79] Walking between stations
[78] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[66] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[27] June to December 2024 Timetables

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1369209 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: November 26, 2013, 18:51:00 »

What an odd explanation of progress.  We know the 'first beams' were installed about 6 weeks ago.  Perhaps they've been keeping it secret from their PR (Public Relations) department...

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 27, 2013, 19:45:22 »

From the trackside view the pier they are working on is an intermediate one, with the beam ends free to move on the bearing pads, so presumably they aren't joining the beams rigidly across the pier?  Do they use some sort of interlocking within/at the beam ends to stop the separate sections becoming misaligned, either side to side or up and down, IYSWIM?

Going by the the drawings, there's a 60 mm movement joint running the full width and depth of the slab. There's also a "diaphragm beam" that runs crosswise, cast round the main beams, and forming the face of this joint between the beams. The deck appears to be cast on top of this and the beams, to form a single solid structure over two spans. There should also be a movement joint at the nearest pier, between the deck/diaphragm and the start of the box "lid".

If you look in 06/02 today you will clearly see the reinforcement for the transverse beam that will tie all the longitudinal beams together.   
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 27, 2013, 19:48:26 »

If you look in 06/02 today you will clearly see the reinforcement for the transverse beam that will tie all the longitudinal beams together.   

Aye.   Definitely looks as if I should pause for 24 hours before going into print with my questions...  Roll Eyes

Paul
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #2433 on: November 28, 2013, 09:09:17 »

Has Lobstervision changed the login usernames and passwords? I can't login with either the nrreading0x username and password or the nrreading0x# on the URL which used to bypass the password challenge.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: November 28, 2013, 10:43:40 »

Has Lobstervision changed the login usernames and passwords? I can't login with either the nrreading0x username and password or the nrreading0x# on the URL which used to bypass the password challenge.

I made the big mistake yesterday of emailing the NR» (Network Rail - home page) PR (Public Relations) department and quoting the webcams as evidence that his recent news about the viaduct was about 6 weeks late.   The worrying thing is he might have ordered? the webcams to be made private.

Apologies to all if that's caused the loss the webcams permanently - although not much is going on in the station nowadays the viaduct cams were quite interesting...

Paul

CCTV99

View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: November 28, 2013, 11:51:48 »

I made the big mistake yesterday of emailing the NR» (Network Rail - home page) PR (Public Relations) department.......

Grrrrrrrr !!!!!!

Could you not email them again and tell them that by taking the cameras into password use only, they have created a wave of anger on numerous public web forums. Thus damaging NR's public image.
FellowTraveller

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: November 28, 2013, 16:05:41 »

Yup, I'm "a wave of anger".

Suspect switching off access to the webcams is a predictable response if the NR» (Network Rail - home page) PR (Public Relations) bod felt they were (effectively) being told that they were an idiot (by pointing out their inaccuracy). Whoops! (I'm sure everyone forgives you Paul.)

A great shame to lose the viaduct webcams though. Fascinating to see the construction close up.

Perhaps NR might restore viewing if sufficient people contact them? (How...?)
ironstone11

View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: November 28, 2013, 17:32:43 »

I made the big mistake yesterday of emailing the NR» (Network Rail - home page) PR (Public Relations) department and quoting the webcams as evidence that his recent news about the viaduct was about 6 weeks late.   The worrying thing is he might have ordered? the webcams to be made private.

Apologies to all if that's caused the loss the webcams permanently - although not much is going on in the station nowadays the viaduct cams were quite interesting...

Paul

Oh dear, that's very unfortunate as they were very interesting.

Could perhaps be just a coincidence, but as suggested, perhaps we should contact their PR dept. to request a re-instatement.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: November 28, 2013, 17:46:18 »

Perhaps IndustryInsider has an idea what to do about this.  It was he who announced we had permission to view the webcams back in May last year, in post #680 of this thread:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6405.msg112179#msg112179

I hadn't actually thought for one moment we weren't supposed to be viewing the webcams, based on the above.

Paul
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: November 28, 2013, 18:04:47 »

I don't blame NR» (Network Rail - home page). If they give an interested user group permission to view the images and are rewarded with a rather snarky and unnecessary email based on the pictures seen then I can fully understand the instant removal of the privilege.

It's a real shame though. I was following with great interest.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: November 28, 2013, 18:08:47 »

That isn't what happened. 

I first sent a perfectly civil email suggesting that his press release had a minor error.  He then replied very quickly stating I was wrong, the piers had been installed a couple of months back, but the beams were definitely only just starting.  He could have checked his facts first.

It was only then that I told him he was very much mistaken; and he has now corrected the press release...

Paul
ironstone11

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 28, 2013, 18:14:07 »

Perhaps IndustryInsider has an idea what to do about this.  It was he who announced we had permission to view the webcams back in May last year, in post #680 of this thread:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6405.msg112179#msg112179

I hadn't actually thought for one moment we weren't supposed to be viewing the webcams, based on the above.

Paul

Let's hope that perhaps he can, with a caveat about private use etc. etc.
CCTV99

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: November 28, 2013, 23:24:29 »

Sorry Paul. You must feel like a right chump?

My "wave of anger" comment was meant to be light hearted, but the sentiment behind it was the thought that what PR (Public Relations) people don't like is to find they are inadvertently putting out bad PR. Unfortunately I shouldn't imagine there's enough people bothered about this to make any difference, even they could make their disappointment known to the right people.

Have you since contacted this person to ask about the webcams?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: November 29, 2013, 09:58:08 »

Perhaps IndustryInsider has an idea what to do about this.

II to the rescue...  Cheesy

Though in truth I haven't had to do anything, but the old passwords still work if you visit www.lobstervision.tv, then click on the 'old lobstervision' link.  They seem to have stopped updating recently though, so on second thoughts that might not be much use...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: November 29, 2013, 12:12:56 »

Have you since contacted this person to ask about the webcams?

I didn't think that would be a good idea...

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: