Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 04 May 2024
- 'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
- Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
4th May (2017)
First WECA Mayor elected (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Great Malvern to London Paddington
18:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
22:02 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
23:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
23:23 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
Delayed
19:44 Swindon to Westbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 04, 2024, 20:06:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Something different !
[148] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[102] Walking between stations
[49] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[45] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[37] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1369286 times)
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: January 04, 2015, 18:56:35 »

I did a quick out-and-back TWY (Twyford station)-RDG(resolve)-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) earlier today (as you do on a cold misty Sunday in January Grin). Likewise for me everything was smooth if a little on the slow side. However like grahame I had a nice glide into Reading from the west instead of standing outside the station for a minute or two as has often been my experience in the past. Hopefully that's a sign of a regular improvement for the future.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: January 04, 2015, 19:15:16 »

I got the impression some of the timings today (and indeed on any Sunday) were fairly slack - isn't it the normal thing to allow for a two track railway between Paddington and Reading for patrolling and other 'preventative' engineering work?   A fair number of trains were reversing at Didcot, including the trunxcated XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service of course. 

Perhaps everything will seem a bit more 'snappy' tomorrow when the majority of the day sees the normal working timetable in use.

Today's fairly relaxed 'opening day' ought to have been a very worthwhile test.  Hope tomorrow goes well for them too...

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3032 on: January 04, 2015, 20:53:06 »

I did a quick out-and-back TWY (Twyford station)-RDG(resolve)-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) earlier today (as you do on a cold misty Sunday in January Grin).

Thanks for undertaking that 'special excursion' on our behalf, BerkshireBugsy - and for reporting back here.  Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: January 04, 2015, 20:56:44 »

I did a quick out-and-back TWY (Twyford station)-RDG(resolve)-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) earlier today (as you do on a cold misty Sunday in January Grin).

Thanks for undertaking that 'special excursion' on our behalf, BerkshireBugsy - and for reporting back here.  Cheesy

No problem! (but I'm not BerkshireBugsy...) Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3034 on: January 04, 2015, 21:00:06 »

My abject apologies to you both for my momentary confusion.  Embarrassed Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: January 04, 2015, 21:30:51 »

The compulsory purchase orders requested by Reading Borough Council for completing Cow Lane are online at this link :

http://www.reading.gov.uk/council/public-notices/land-cow-lane-reading/

The three letters of objection received - from the Safestore business and The Reading Festival ( this one surprised me ) and the owners of the building on the corner of Argyle Road.

I can find anything to say the dispute over the orders has been resolved one way or other.
W5tRailfinder

View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: January 05, 2015, 16:56:34 »

Thanks for the welcome.

Thank you Industry Insider for posting the full signalling / track layout for the area, which then sparked a few comments regarding down movements over the Oxford Road / Feeder Main layout.

Whoops! Posters, including myself, thought the layout was wrong since parallel movements are not possible between the Feeder lines and Westbury lines at Oxford Road, but by reference to the layout plans at RBC(resolve) Planning, Google Earth and the track (switches and crossings) design standards you can see Network Rail have got it right.

The signalling layout plan is no more than an unscaled two-dimensional line drawing of the physical layout. The lines being drawn horizontal, vertical or diagonal (45 degrees). It is pointless in attempting to suggest signalling or track alterations without reference to the physical characteristics of the area concerned.

Here is my over simplified interpretation of the design process for this junction, which is in a rather awkward location.

After connecting the Feeder Main to the Up Westbury, the junction is about 20 metres to the east of the Up Westbury - Up Reading West Curve crossing, there are 5 possible at-grade layout design options in order for a down train to route Feeder Main to Down Westbury:

1   Do nothing - Routeing FM to UW, then to UW-DW crossover at the south (left) of Reading West Station. Parallel movements are not possible. This route is available by the signalling plan.

2   Add down direction UW-DW crossover between FM-UW junction and UW-URWC crossing ^ Routeing FM to UW, then crossover to DW. Parallel movements are possible. Rejected due to there being not enough space for the crossover.

3   Add single slip to UW-URWC crossing permitting down UW to URWC movements - routeing is FM to UW, then the single slip to DW. Parallel movements are possible. Rejected due to single slip not permitted in design standards.

4   Add down direction FM to down direction FR crossover ^ Routeing FM, FR, URWC to DW. Parallel movements not possible. Implemented.

5   Add down direction FM to up direction URWC crossover, south of URWC-FR junction ^ Routeing FM to URWC then to DW. Parallel movements possible. Rejected due to there being not enough space for the crossover and curvature of URWC.

I have simplified the process/decision making, but no doubt Network Rail would have implemented the optimum solution, option 2 rather than 4, if it had been possible.

I am sure others will have an opinion on this and I have no doubt the inadequacy of the current design will be raised in the future.

Mike

W5tRailfinder

View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: January 05, 2015, 17:07:32 »

Watch this

http://youtu.be/PybspgUevoI

Smiley
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: January 05, 2015, 17:17:31 »

Thanks, W5tRailfinder - I, who have not been through Reading for quite a few months*, now understand how this all works in a way that diagrams and still photos couldn't quite convey - not with my limited imagination anyway. Nice bit of blue-sky thinking there! (Se what I did? I'll spare you the Yorkshire greeting).

(*This will no longer be the case by 1.30pm on Sunday coming)

Now, please!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: January 05, 2015, 17:52:27 »

My abject apologies to you both for my momentary confusion.  Embarrassed Roll Eyes

Apology accepted BBM Smiley
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: January 05, 2015, 18:24:40 »

Thanks for the welcome.

Thank you Industry Insider for posting the full signalling / track layout for the area, which then sparked a few comments regarding down movements over the Oxford Road / Feeder Main layout.

Whoops! Posters, including myself, thought the layout was wrong since parallel movements are not possible between the Feeder lines and Westbury lines at Oxford Road, but by reference to the layout plans at RBC(resolve) Planning, Google Earth and the track (switches and crossings) design standards you can see Network Rail have got it right.

The signalling layout plan is no more than an unscaled two-dimensional line drawing of the physical layout. The lines being drawn horizontal, vertical or diagonal (45 degrees). It is pointless in attempting to suggest signalling or track alterations without reference to the physical characteristics of the area concerned.

Interesting, thanks.  As you say - and as I suggested in my first post on this issue - space may be a problem at Oxford Road Junction, but NR» (Network Rail - home page) own the land in the "Vee" where the depot was which may offer opportunities for track realignment etc.  There are no doubt many other site issues which I for one wouldn't know about, eg signalling overlaps, curve radii, gradients and the need for the Feeders to start going downwards asap etc.  I just wouldn't want the current opportunity to remodel Oxford Road Junction to be lost for ever because they start building things or selling land in the "Vee".   
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: January 05, 2015, 18:58:41 »

Here's a couple of pictures, as we haven't had too many new ones.

First - look Mum, no wiggles! Or, almost none.
Looking at the two new signals, T.1707 and T.1709, despite the intrusive I-beam you can see they are of different designs. Both have two feathers, but T.1707 (on P7) has a lobed backing plate and no hoods. Now why would that be?

Plus, that cute little signal for P3 (T.1705) - taken as an afterthought, when it was really too dark, but it shows just how tiny it is. The box to the right shows "F" for the festival Line, and presumably "W" for the Down Westbury. Or would it have the Up Westbury as an option too? Perhaps so - I think P7 does, or it would not need two feathers.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: January 05, 2015, 19:12:23 »

Here's a couple of pictures, as we haven't had too many new ones.

First - look Mum, no wiggles! Or, almost none.
Looking at the two new signals, T.1707 and T.1709, despite the intrusive I-beam you can see they are of different designs. Both have two feathers, but T.1707 (on P7) has a lobed backing plate and no hoods. Now why would that be?

The one on the platform is one of those modern relatively lightweight hinged type that can be lowered down to the platform for maintenance, (looks like a fibreglass structure?) but the one for P8 is probably still the relatively over engineered original style - the key difference being that eventually it will have to be maintained between the live wires of the future OHLE?  So it has the full set up with an access ladder, maintenance platform behind the heads, and the protective steel mesh cage.

That doesn't really explain the shape of the housings for the feathers, but it could be that the more modern design is 'just different'.  I think all the way along the whole area of the rebuild there are different styles of signal structure depending if they are between tracks or 'outside' the tracks.

Paul.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: January 05, 2015, 19:49:49 »

Or could it be that the one without the backing plate is in a position where it will never have the rising morning sun low behind it?

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3044 on: January 06, 2015, 08:36:24 »

Do you mean low *setting* sun :-)

Facing West, aren't we?....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: