Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
This is
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 04:43:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thatcham to Peterborough - daily travel for a week  (Read 6602 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:25:34 »

Hi all - I have a piece of work coming up in Peterborough for a week and have decided to commute daily. If this was a job in London it would be a no brainer - I would get a weekly ticket which pay for itself in 3 days. So what is the cheapest way of ding the full journey ? Is it worth looking at a daily zone 6 boundary to Peterborough ? I'm only doing monad to Friday btw

Thanks

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:30:05 »

Is any Season ticket already held?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42:55 »

Is any Season ticket already held?

Nope BNM
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:50:29 »

A 7 day season ticket from Thatcham to Peterborough is ^263.70.

An Anytime day return is ^148.00.

So for anything more than one day, the 7 day season is better value.

Both ticket options also include Underground travel.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 13:29:32 »

A 7 day season ticket from Thatcham to Peterborough is ^263.70.

An Anytime day return is ^148.00.

Ratio is 1.78

Other ratios ...
Melksham to Paddington via Swindon 1.59 (157.00 for a day, 250.50 for a week)
Reading to Paddington 2.4 (42.50 for a day, 102.20 for a week)
Westbury to Swindon via Melksham 3.93 (9.90 for a day, 39.00 for a week)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 19:17:36 »

Thanks guys - out if curiosity how much is an anytime return from zone 6 boundary to Peterborough ? I'm asking because there may be a change of plan .
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 21:42:30 »

Anytime Day Return from Boundary Zone 6 to Peterborough is ^32.50. This ticket is routed 'FCC (First Capital Connect) Only' so couldn't be used in combination with another ticket for travel on East Coast services. There are no 'Any Permitted' fares for BZ6-PBO.

Not easy to find a split that will save money on the through 7 day Season and afford travel on East Coast between Kings Corss and Peterborough.

If money saved is more important than journey time then you could go for:

Thatcham - London Zones 1-6, 7 day Season @^125.30
Hadley Wood - Peterborough, 7 Day Season (FCC Only) @^93.80
^219.10

Travel would have to be on First Capital Connect from Moorgate and you must take a FCC service that calls at Hadley Wood. That means you'd also then have to change at Welwyn Garden City for another FCC service to Peterborough.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 21:48:18 »

Thanks, as ever, for your apparently tireless research efforts, bignosemac.  Wink Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 21:56:18 »

Hi all - I have a piece of work coming up in Peterborough for a week and have decided to commute daily.

Thanks

Just to challenge your original assumption, wouldn't it much easier and less wear and tear on you to stay in a cheap hotel chain in or around Peterborough for four nights?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 23:22:53 »

Now I'm not a time-served expert in these matters, but both BRFares and Journey Planner agree that the off-peak return for this journey has restriction code 1T. This is a bit of a minefield, as the rules change on Monday 7th September and don't stop changing then. And the off-peak return is still ^99, so this doesn't alter the conclusion. Note that off-peak singles don't exist.

The only peak-hours restriction is on leaving Kings Cross from 06:44 to 7:59 - none on the return to Kings Cross, and none into or out of Paddington. So the 8:03 (8:48 into Peterborough) is OK, and the previous train is 7:35 but I'd assume even the first train from Thatcham at 6:02 (7:01 into Paddington) would not get you onto it. So it's hard to see what the anytime return is for.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:49:12 by stuving » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 00:17:56 »

Your analysis is correct stuving. Well spotted.

However, the Anytime Return is still of use for anyone wishing to travel to Peterborough from Kings Cross between 1559 and 1746. It also has five days validity on the outward portion allowing more flexibility on when you start your journey, and allows for overnight breaks of journey en route. Off Peak and Super Off Peak only allow an overnight BoJ (Break of Journey) on the outward portion if the journey cannot be completed in one day. And then onward travel must be completed on day two.

Whether that extra flexibility is worth the extra ^49 will be down to the individual. I would be a little concerned that there is the potential for the Anytime Return to be mis-sold though. Very easy for a clerk to assume that it's an Anytime fare for a passenger rocking up at Thatcham at 6am.

It does happen. I had a clerk at Bristol TM(resolve) who was insistent that I couldn't have an Off Peak Day Return from Shirehampton to Waterloo travelling on the 0722 off Bristol via Salisbury. I go the classic response, "Day Returns to Salisbury aren't valid 'til 0930." I replied, "I'm not going to Salisbury." She countered, "Same applies travelling via Salisbury." A little more to-ing and fro-ing and I eventually got my ticket. Validity, incidentally, for this fare is any train timed to arrive London Waterloo after 1000. So the 0722 changing at Salisbury is fine.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 00:48:54 »

I looked at this mainly to see if it the choice of tickets was the same as going to Cambridge, a trip I did in July. I went from Wokingham not Thatcham, but the ticket choice and restrictions seem to be the same from both. But no - while both routes go via Kings Cross, it's quite different.

For Peterborough there are anytime and super off-peak singles and returns, but off-peak returns only. No day tickets. Off-peak has code 1T (see post above) while super off-peak has C4: outward only restricted to arrive in London after 10:00. For Cambridge, however, there are anytime and off-peak day returns and singles, and only off-peak period returns. No anytime period return and no super off-peak. Off-peak has code 4J: no departing from anywhere 4:30 to 9:30 outward, and the same returning with some exceptions along the south coast. Off-peak day has code C4 - as super off-peak to Peterborough!

Not it's true that Peterborough is quite a bit further, but still ... I'm sure that makes as much sense to you as it does to me. I imagine what dictates this is the flow ownership; FCC (First Capital Connect) rather than East Coast. But that does not, to my mind, make it any more sensible.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 01:18:18 »

The reason for this offpeak availability difference is that Peterborough is outside the 'Network area', unlike say Cambridge which is firmly inside.  AIUI (as I understand it) for fares that cross London to a destination 'outside' the former NSE (Network South East) Area morning restrictions are applied only to the main leg out of London.

Needless to say there are some staff that won't know this, particularly on gate lines...

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 01:18:57 »

There are historical reasons at play as well. Cambridge is in the former Network SouthEast area while Peterborough is outside it. Fares policy and the types of fares available hark back to the pre-privatisation era with Cambridge being NSE (Network South East) sector's responsibility and Peterborough (although served by NSE trains) being InterCity's.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 23:56:54 »

The reason for this offpeak availability difference is that Peterborough is outside the 'Network area', unlike say Cambridge which is firmly inside.  AIUI (as I understand it) for fares that cross London to a destination 'outside' the former NSE (Network South East) Area morning restrictions
There are historical reasons at play as well. Cambridge is in the former Network SouthEast area while Peterborough is outside it. Fares policy and the types of fares available hark back to the pre-privatisation era with Cambridge being NSE sector's responsibility and Peterborough (although served by NSE trains) being InterCity's.

The Network Area is more than just historical, of course. In code 1T (and a lot of others, used across the country) there is this text under "General Conditions (for this ticket type)":

Off-Peak tickets for journeys
starting within the Network
Area to destinations outside
the Network Area with travel
via London are valid by any
train to London, to connect
with trains from London.

That applies to THA-PBO, and the time restrictions at KGX which it inherits are more generous than at other termini. If you apply that rule you'll probably find that from somewhere like Yeovil or Exeter the off-peak return to PBO is cheaper than the anytime to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and unrestricted on that leg. But in that case you get a different restriction code, to stop you doing that.

This follows:

Off-Peak tickets for journeys
starting outside the Network
Area for travel via London use
restrictions from the origin
station to London and return.
Unless shown otherwise, they
are unrestricted between
London and the destination
station, and return.
For super off-peak the wording is different, though the meaning is the same.

There is no text for off-peak journeys within the Network Area, even for THA-CBG, which is one. There might be a justification for a simpler rule with the same peak across the area, on the grounds that this is all commuter territory. But for the Network Area - Exeter to Kings Lynn - but not for other "metro areas", I don't buy that.

By the way, the super off-peak to PBO I now find is code 9D, not C4 as I said. However, that is even more puzzling in that it is less restrictive that C4 - outward peaks at KGX 3:00 to 9:05 and 15:00 to 18:59. However, it has a return morning peak restriction into KGX at 4:30 to 11:17, while C4 has none.

I can understand that the basic off-peak restriction is pretty regular for one London terminus, corresponding to when the system is fully loaded. I can also understand a desire to not apply all those restrictions to across-city journeys, which don't involve all that many travellers. But as applied now, it's still a mess. If all the odd differences are just a historical accident, I'd say that might be accurate as history but it's not a good reason.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:51:06 by stuving » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: